Thinking about a Stihl Wood Boss 028 AV Electronic Quick Stop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just paid $20.00 more on a Husqvarna brush cutter from my local guy over what I could have purchased online. Guess what, he assembled it for me, tuned it and gave me a 3 year one year extra warranty on the cutter. Plus if I take it to him for repair I can look him in the eyes. He knows where the cutter was purchased and I don't take a back seat on service..:cheers:

$20 is a lot different than $125...

dpilot I would not go with a husky. My dad had a husky and it broke 2 starter recoils, a chain brake, and a split oil tank with minimal use. If you can afford it I would reccomend a Stihl Ms 271 Farm Boss. I have that saw and its been the nicest and easiest saw to use ive ever seen. Its a great construction and reliability for the price point and for whay you do it would be great. I cant speak highly enough of it.
546c8ad872c7f7aba2cfa00c6da7db5f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What a load of plosh... Stihl, husqvarna, makita, dolmar, echo they all make damn fine professional build saws. They all however make some homeowner turds too..

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

[

On the other hand, I like the idea of not being able to adjust the mixture even less. What is a "modern clamshell"? Is the Stihl 271 something that does not have an adjustable mixture? What about the Echo 590?

I believe a modern clamshell means the cylinder is bolted to 2 plastic cases that bolt together. In other words, a plastic case vs a metal case. Plastic is a little heavier, but still very robust. Ms 271 is plastic, 028 is metal. Not sure about Echo 590, but believe its plastic.
The Ms271 does not have an adjustabe mixture. It takes 50-1 mix. Not sure about the 590, assume its 50-1 mix as well.

590 timberwolf is a vertical split magnesium case. It also has an adjustable carb. Pretty decent saw to be honest.

I like the Makita i think the power to weight is pretty good but if I were buying a new saw for around 400 and planned on owning 1 saw and for occasional use I'd get the echo timberwolf.
Ditto

So will a 391, or any quality saw for that matter. It all depends on the user.

The 391 is a plastic clamshell that is not even on the same page as a PRO saw and the thought of buying a used one for the price of a NEW PRO saw is well...just ridiculous. The price of a new 391 is more than a new 6400...sorry but not a wise choice but hey to each their own I guess.

The 391 is a plastic clamshell that is not even on the same page as a PRO saw and the thought of buying a used one for the price of a NEW PRO saw is well...just ridiculous. The price of a new 391 is more than a new 6400...sorry but not a wise choice but hey to each their own I guess.

That is if you want to buy a Dolmar. A stihl chainsaw, pro or not is still a quality saw that with proper care will last a long time. A stihl pro saw will cost you well over $500. I cant speak for Dolmar saws as I do not use them. Plastic clamshell does not mean a saw is of bad quality, just a cheaper design.

I saw the echo timberwolf on eBay for 300 new. For those who hate the ms290 at least it isn't a plastic clamshell. Its not about the name there's a lot of quality saws for the same price. Do the research and find what best works for you. There is a difference between pro saw and homeowner saw. But the average homeowner does not need a pro saw. Don't pay pro saw prices for a homeowner saw.

That is if you want to buy a Dolmar. A stihl chainsaw, pro or not is still a quality saw that with proper care will last a long time. A stihl pro saw will cost you well over $500. I cant speak for Dolmar saws as I do not use them. Plastic clamshell does not mean a saw is of bad quality, just a cheaper design.

This sounds soo brand naive...

I saw the echo timberwolf on eBay for 300 new. For those who hate the ms290 at least it isn't a plastic clamshell. .

The Ms 290 has a metal incasement all around the cylinder. It has a plastic clamshell around the metal incasement. Same goes for ms 250.

The Ms 290 has a metal incasement all around the cylinder. It has a plastic clamshell around the metal incasement. Same goes for ms 250.

That may be, but all clam shells have bearings in a split cup and the bearings have rubber outer's to create a seal between the clam halves which means they are not a 'press fit', tolerances are lower, the list goes on. I am not blasting homeowner or ranch/farm saws but they really should not be confused with mag cased pro grade saws.

Haven't heard from the guy with the 028 for awhile. I did some research on servicing Echo dealerships and I have one Echo dealer that's a ways away but is near where my in-laws live. That dealer will be having the 20% off sale on Oct 13th. So I could get the Echo 590 from them for $335 I think.

I also have a John Deere dealer locally and it is one store of a multi-store dealership. One of the other stores in that multi-store dealership is also an Echo dealer so I can buy from them and then use their store to store delivery network to ship the saw down to them for free from my store if there are any problems that need to be repaired. They can also ship me parts in two days with no shipping charges. Unfortunately they already had their 20% off sale on Fathers day.

Anyway, I'm thinking about just going with the 590 from one of those two places and being done with it. Kinda leaning towards the John Deere dealer since service and parts will likely be a lot faster from them than waiting for my FIL to come by here and drop it off at the dealer near his location. Just too bad that they don't have a sale coming up.

Haven't heard from the guy with the 028 for awhile. I did some research on servicing Echo dealerships and I have one Echo dealer that's a ways away but is near where my in-laws live. That dealer will be having the 20% off sale on Oct 13th. So I could get the Echo 590 from them for $335 I think.

I also have a John Deere dealer locally and it is one store of a multi-store dealership. One of the other stores in that multi-store dealership is also an Echo dealer so I can buy from them and then use their store to store delivery network to ship the saw down to them for free from my store if there are any problems that need to be repaired. They can also ship me parts in two days with no shipping charges. Unfortunately they already had their 20% off sale on Fathers day.

Anyway, I'm thinking about just going with the 590 from one of those two places and being done with it. Kinda leaning towards the John Deere dealer since service and parts will likely be a lot faster from them than waiting for my FIL to come by here and drop it off at the dealer near his location. Just too bad that they don't have a sale coming up.
Good move :)

My 290 has seals and separate bearings not the enclosed rubber ones. There's a groove that holds it all in too. I've seen the ones like my craftsman they are sealed bearings smushed between the 2 halves. There's nothing stopping them from poping out. There's different styles of clamahell...

Heck their clamshell is over 500 lol.

Back