Thinking about a Stihl Wood Boss 028 AV Electronic Quick Stop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would buy on the spot. Saw looks fabulous, only needs an air filter cleaning. Looks like you could take off the cylinder in the field like a pro saw because of the top bolt holes. 391 is a great saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would buy on the spot. Saw looks fabulous, only needs an air filter cleaning. Looks like you could take off the cylinder in the field like a pro saw because of the top bolt holes. 391 is a great saw.

Thanks. That price is a shipped price without the bar. What size bar is appropriate for that saw? I assume 18"? How much would a bar and chain cost and where is a good place to get them?

I did make an offer. I'm not the type to make really quick decisions. If I think it through and it seems right I may raise my offer later or perhaps someone else who reads this thread will snatch it before I have time to make up mind!:)

Either way I'm happy. I'm not in a huge hurry.

Thanks. That price is a shipped price without the bar. What size bar is appropriate for that saw? I assume 18"? How much would a bar and chain cost and where is a good place to get them?

That saw will take 16" to 25" bars, reccomended is a 20" bar. Im afraid it will cost you around $100 bucks for a bar and chain. Stihl that is. You can get them on Ebay or a stihl dealer, whitch I reccomend. Oregon would be a bit cheaper.

That saw will take 16" to 25" bars, reccomended is a 20" bar. Im afraid it will cost you around $100 bucks for a bar and chain. Stihl that is. You can get them on Ebay or a stihl dealer, whitch I reccomend. Oregon would be a bit cheaper.

Wowsers! I did not realize that. My $350 offer was a lot higher offer than I thought, lol. Oh well. I'll stand behind it if he takes me up on it. Gulp.

Just looked, and Oregon 20" bar is 40 bucks. Chain probably 20 bucks. Prices were a little less than I thought, at least around me. Should be good on that though.

200.00 is a fair price for a mag case 028 av wood boss. I had two of them in the past and they are great saws. My Son still has the one I gave him. Finding parts should be no problem. Stay away from those plastic case (Chernobyl) home owner saws if you can.

I would buy the 028 if the piston and cylinder are in good shape. Then replace the rubber pieces for good measure (fuel line, impulse line, and crank seals). Probably won't cost you more than $30-40 for all that. Then it will serve you well for another 20 yrs after that. But, I like the 028 so I might be a bit biased.

I just got a 028 woodsboss eq on eBay in the same shape for 110 shipped. I really like it. It has the 16 inch bar and front tensioner and same chain brake made in Virginia beach. Outstanding power for it's size. It is currently not modded.

I have a 290 with the 390 kit and they are clamshell and the 028 is a much nicer saw.

I just got a 028 woodsboss eq on eBay in the same shape for 110 shipped. I really like it. It has the 16 inch bar and front tensioner and same chain brake made in Virginia beach. Outstanding power for it's size. It is currently not modded.

I have a 290 with the 390 kit and they are clamshell and the 028 is a much nicer saw.

You got it for a very good price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I got it from an estate sale buyer who does not know about chainsaws I offered half the price not knowing the cylinder condition and they took it. Piston looked sketchy but the rings were good and it seems to have good compression and runs idles and cuts bar buried. The deals are out there I would not pay 400 for a 391 power head buy a ms360 complete saw for the same price.

I am not brand bias at all but the plastic clamshell 391 and its low output bar oiler does not compare to the Echo which is made like a pro saw with its mag case and removable cylinder. Don't fall for the name hype like some do...the 590 will last a lifetime for a homeowner that keeps his chain sharp and takes care of it.

Thanks everyone! Sounds like the 391 got sold (I'm happy for him I felt a little bad about offering that low of an amount but just wasn't mentally ready to switch gears very fast when I had previously been thinking about a $200 saw).

I'm seriously tempted to buy the 028 locally. Even if it isn't modern it's half the price of all the other saws I'm thinking about and it comes with a case an no taxes which would be an added expense on the Timberwolf.

For my extremely occasional use I think it may work well. I'll give an update if I do it. Otherwise I may be back with more questions about other saws. Thanks!

You should look into dolmar.

Thanks, I have. I have a local dealer. They want $525 for a 5100 (or is it 5105? Decent 18" saw I guess). They want $650 for a 6100. I guess I feel like that is just so far outside of what kind of value I would get from an Echo CS-590 that I just can't do that. Now if I found a used one I'd be all ears but for now I just can't justify that kind of money on a new saw that I'll rarely use.

Honestly I'm still leaning towards the 028 just because it's a lot cheaper than the Echo 590 and I can't imagine needing anything more for my occasional use.

Those Makita or dolmar saws in the 5100 size are about 400 on Amazon Idk y the dealer is so much more.

I noticed that as well but when it comes down to it isn't a Timberwolf way more saw for the same money? Hard for me to place that much value on dealer support especially when I prefer doing my own repairs anyway.

Those Makita or dolmar saws in the 5100 size are about 400 on Amazon Idk y the dealer is so much more.
I just paid $20.00 more on a Husqvarna brush cutter from my local guy over what I could have purchased online. Guess what, he assembled it for me, tuned it and gave me a 3 year one year extra warranty on the cutter. Plus if I take it to him for repair I can look him in the eyes. He knows where the cutter was purchased and I don't take a back seat on service..:cheers:

Latest posts

Back