sometimes just say no!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMFARM 2009

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i get a call from a friend to go and clear his fence rows.. i said i would like to see them first. he say's ok. he then tells me, he's in a law suet over the fence rows being cleared with the neighbor... i said still would like to see them... we set a time, i go over.... we take the tour through the pastures out to the fence in question,no big deal... twenty trees to be cut. we start cutting and got them down, still no problems get loaded up, as we start out the guy is in the skid steer feeding hay to the bulls...we get to the pasture crossing as soon as we get into the pasture with the bulls they attack the skid steer knocking the guy down between the bucket and the body of the skid steer. he starts yelling for help...one bull dives into the skid steer head first,luckily the skid steer shut off....this pins the guys leg and arm beneath this bull.me and the wife get the other bulls back from here and pin them off in the barn, he tells me then to get the gun from under seat of his truck and shoot the bull stuck in the skid steer. we do this, but he still cant get out... i take the guys back hoe and drag this bull out... took us fifteen minutes to get the guys leg out, and he had a torn ligament in his leg and broken arm, other then that he will be fine...long crazy story short, i then tell him there's no way i will cut trees in the pasture with the bulls he wants down... i pass.. enough excitement for a week. as crazy as this is,i didn't get one picture of it. but we got a good laugh afterwards... whats the odds of a 1500 pound bull diving into the bobcat?

i think when i get a chance here next week i will stop by and pay him a visit... he's on crutches... his wife is giving him hell over the bulls... she wants them gone,all of them... he's 73 years old he needs to slow down a bit. raising bulls is hard work and can be dangerous at times. i suspect he will give us some beef for the help, but i am not pushing it...i have three truck loads of wood to pick up there yet. i am not looking forward to getting it though, got to get through the bulls to get it...my wife doesnt like them bulls either it scared her badly over this... i have been around enough cattle to know what to do, most of the time.but this was flat crazy.

i may drop a hint about buying that bobcat.. its damaged pretty good...trashed the lap bar and seat and bent the cage....oh and its all bloody from this...all in all he is lucky i was there. could have turned out differently if we had not been right there.i still dont know what set the bulls off to begin with. he feeds all the time with the skidsteer dropping bales into feeders in the pasture.???? just crazy...

Whether it be goats, swine, sheep, cattle or whatever critter you must give them due respect. Given the right situation each can either hurt you or worse. And who knows what might trigger a outburst.

When's the BBQ?
given its bull meat, your gonna have to slow smoke it or grind it to make it edible...

Whether it be goats, swine, sheep, cattle or whatever critter you must give them due respect. Given the right situation each can either hurt you or worse. And who knows what might trigger a outburst.

my experience on farms and ranches, Its pretty obvious what triggers the outbursts... its hanging between the legs. I always keep my eye on an animal that still has his balls...

My dad and I bought bulls, half brothers from a local breeder some years ago. Both of the bulls were of very good breeding. His bull was very gentle you could pet the devil out in the field (that is a bad habit to start by the way). Anyway back to the story, we started finding dead calves. Cows were having calves, and if the bull was nearby and smelled blood he would get very aggressive and trampled the newborn calf. We had to get between him and the newborn calf to save the calf. Dad used a Case Skidsteer loader to protect the calf until I got there with the farm truck. I had orders to shoot if necessary. Needless to say he left Dad's farm immediately. My bull went bad (infertile) the next year. We haven't bought bulls from that breeder since. I is noteworthy to say however that the heifers I kept from my bull have all made good stock cows. So its not the breeders fault. Things happen on the farm. Go Figure

I take it that guy driving the skidsteer had gotten out? I would think that a raised bucket would be a good defence for a bull! If you get a chance could you get pics of the skidsteer?

This whole story reminds me of a guy that told about his dad and a bull. I don't remember what his dad hit the bull with but the bull droped dead. His dad took a chainsaw to cut it up to get it out of the barn.

Someone mentioned that petting a bull in the pasture is not a good thing.....I'm probably over thinking this...but why is it a no-no?

We have several cattle you can pet. A bull is a different story. I can et him but you really have to watch. Some times walking by he'll bull his neck back and turn his head a little like he is going to hit you. That is when I grab a stick or if I'm close enough kick him right in the head. If they think for a minute that they are the boss of you it's over. I have watch dad chase a bull for 15 minutes working him over until the bull gave up. You have to make them respect you. The summer is when you really have to watch petty cows. They like to sling their head back to swat flies. If your in the wrong spot it's hard hit to take.

Scott

I take it that guy driving the skidsteer had gotten out? I would think that a raised bucket would be a good defence for a bull! If you get a chance could you get pics of the skidsteer?

This whole story reminds me of a guy that told about his dad and a bull. I don't remember what his dad hit the bull with but the bull droped dead. His dad took a chainsaw to cut it up to get it out of the barn.

Someone mentioned that petting a bull in the pasture is not a good thing.....I'm probably over thinking this...but why is it a no-no?
If you make a pet out of them by petting them then they are not afraid of you anymore

Sound like black angus. Any farm animal with a set of nuts attached is NOT trustworthy. Even if you can pet them. You never know what will trigger them to turn on you. May never happen, but it's too likely that one will. Especially bulls. Heifers with calves demand a ton of respect, also.

the cows may come and the cows may go.....

BUT the BULL in this forum never leaves!!!!!!! :)

j/k man! couldnt resist. glad you were there, he coulda been killed

Guess you should have taken the hint when the friend said he is involved in a lawsuit over that fence line. :cow: Glad you didn't get the horns

..........Not enough bull for an Avalancher story! :laugh:

Your darn right about that.If it had been one of my stories,it definetly would have ended up something like.....

We wondered what set that ole bull off,kinda strange for the thing to suddenly go half cocked and try and smash the place up.But lordy, when we started carving the ole guy up into steaks, we found out why.

There, right in the ass end of the old boy, there was treeco buried up to his ankles.I guess in his frenzy for a little late night "exercise" he fell right in.Guess he just got a little excited and couldnt hold back and just got plain ole too excited I reckon.
Shoot, it took three cable come alongs and a tractor to extracate ole treeco, and then dang it, as soon as we got the cables undone the son of a gun jumped right back into action,muttering something about "not being done yet".

Some guys just never learn the easy way......

Your darn right about that.If it had been one of my stories,it definetly would have ended up something like.....

We wondered what set that ole bull off,kinda strange for the thing to suddenly go half cocked and try and smash the place up.But lordy, when we started carving the ole guy up into steaks, we found out why.

There, right in the ass end of the old boy, there was treeco buried up to his ankles.I guess in his frenzy for a little late night "exercise" he fell right in.Guess he just got a little excited and couldnt hold back and just got plain ole too excited I reckon.
Shoot, it took three cable come alongs and a tractor to extracate ole treeco, and then dang it, as soon as we got the cables undone the son of a gun jumped right back into action,muttering something about "not being done yet".

Some guys just never learn the easy way......

Avalancher that's some funny stuff. Im like stach had to do a double take and make sure you weren't the op. Would rep you but I have to spred it around:angry:. Sorry Treeco but that's funny.:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

Back