Sometimes we gotta eat crow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillbilly Rick

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Awhile back I posted a dealer problems thread,
Turns out that even though my saw started, ran and cut, the rings were melted to the piston. The problem was I couldn't see the rings because they looked like the piston, my dumb @*$ didn't know what I was supposed to be looking at.
Yesterday, at the J'red dealer we were discussing poor gas in our area,and he showed me a piston with the ring melted into it and:msp_ohmy: I instantly knew what the Stihl dealer was talking about with mine. I went home and tore the muffler off, removed the spark plug and shined a light through the plug hole and had a real sick feeling, and not because of the saw.
We took off work a little early so we could go by the Stihl dealer's today, I apologized and let them know it was my ignorance that caused the misunderstanding and asked them to show me what's wrong from now on(I am from Missouri).
My apologies to any dealer here that may have taken flak because of my post.
Sincerely,
Rick

I've been on both sides of the counter, and I've eaten crow on both sides as well. I'm sure your dealer appreciated you going back and taking the time to talk to him about it.

HUH???

Pretty much you descibed every lethal chainsaw death, lean seizure, the piston melts and pins the rings down in a molten goo.

The real trick is to find out why, and make sure that it doesn't happen again with the new piston......

The dealer just smiled, like he was waiting for my proctocraniectomy to take effect, yes, surgical removal of my head from my, well, you know.:msp_ohmy: Seems I need one once in a while. The Mrs. thinks I need them regularly:hmm3grin2orange:.
The guy I got it from drilled 8) 3/16" holes in the front of the muffler, if it wasn't richened would that cause a lean burn situation? I'm not going to take it apart until I get the P/C, that may be a while. I 'spose it could be a crack or hole in the rubber tube from the carb to the intake port. Could be running lean, don't have any way to check yet, I'll get what I need to check that. What do I need? I use Stihl oil and 87 octane gas, as that's all there is around here. I guess octane boost would help. I have no idea what else to check. I sure don't need it happening to the rest of the saws.
Thanks Guys,
Rick

Last edited:
just happy you figured your saw out,a p&c would suck ,i wonder how a big bore kit would run on a 460?

your not Norwegian are you??

HUH?
Roger, I asked about the BB kit here and I got 2 replies, both, don't do it. One called it a bog bore kit, I guess for obvious reasons. The threads I've seen on porting here make me feel that's the way to go. If porting a big bore kit would keep it from running like a bog bore then I might consider it. The cost of P/C is about the same, for 7-8 more ccs to about 066 levels.

The dealer just smiled, like he was waiting for my proctocraniectomy to take effect, yes, surgical removal of my head from my, well, you know.:msp_ohmy: Seems I need one once in a while. The Mrs. thinks I need them regularly:hmm3grin2orange:.
The guy I got it from drilled 8) 3/16" holes in the front of the muffler, if it wasn't richened would that cause a lean burn situation? I'm not going to take it apart until I get the P/C, that may be a while. I 'spose it could be a crack or hole in the rubber tube from the carb to the intake port. Could be running lean, don't have any way to check yet, I'll get what I need to check that. What do I need? I use Stihl oil and 87 octane gas, as that's all there is around here. I guess octane boost would help. I have no idea what else to check. I sure don't need it happening to the rest of the saws.
Thanks Guys,
Rick

yes holes drilled in the muffler cover will cause it to lean out and if the carb is not adjusted propeerly it will melt down. muffler cover is easily replaceable and will be off when changing p&c. should pressure vac before tearing apart though to make sure there isnt any more problems with it.
josh

Yep gotta love the tough crappy taste of crow....... I seem to be eating it here and there. good job on your part making it right. anybody that hasnt eatin crow before is absolutely full of $hit......

Wow, a Hillbilly that uses the word proctocraniectomy! Must be one of those edumacated types.

aww heck,...ya wanna know what "crow " tastes like....ask lance armstrong !

LOLOLOLOL !

Latest posts

Back