Southern Pine Bark Beetles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boblink

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, we have a home in Atlanta that's on approximately an acre of land with LOTS of pine trees and noticed that several of them have been infested with southern pine bark beetle which I realize is "not good". We are arranging for these trees to be removed but would like to insure that infestation does not spread and would appreciate your help as what to do / what to not do to limit the disease to the (currently) affected trees?
Thank you for your help
Bob

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 9
  • tree bark.JPG
    tree bark.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 9
  • tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 9
We have had good luck spraying the trees. The infestation does not last long in that as soon as the infestation is noticed by an large the beetles have already infested several more trees. We never worried about burning the trees or bark that came naturally after several million trees were infested. One of my neighbors sprayed about a dozen Sugar Pine that were about 30'' in dia and then wrapped them in plastic. Very labor intensive, but none of them died. Often the beetle do not come in unless the trees are weak. Are the trees close together or water deprived? Thanks

Thank you for your help guys
FYI Ted, we have had more rainfall that normal this summer so I don't think that they are water deprived. I also have been advised that the "invaders" are not southern pine bark beetles but probably a combination of IPS Beetles, that created stress and the Turpentine Beetles, that came afterward and are there now.
So my dilema (question) now is, I definitely have to have the 2 pine trees brown crowns that are either dead or dying, removed but what do I with (so far) 3 pines that have pitch tubes on the bark but the crowns (at least for now) look healthy? Should they come down also?
Thanks
Bob

Bob those invaders are just plain nasty. A healthy tree is able to produce plenty of pitch. When beetles invade a tree they dig holes into the bark any lay eggs just below or just inside the bark. If they are are pushed out of the nutrition highway of the tree then they never get a good established family started. Just because you see pitch that does not mean that the tree will die. However just as jolly says it happens pretty fast. From your pictures it appears that they get sunshine so not sure why they are weakened. My immediate reaction is if they are worth fighting for then get some insecticide on them. With out sophisticated equipment you should be able to reach 40 to 50' up which has proven to be effective. It is possible that all your Pines can be infested in a month or so. My opinion is that if you immediately take down your diseased trees it will not necessarily protect the rest of your trees. It is very likely that all your neighbors are facing the same situation. As I mentioned a neighbor friend of mine was determined to save his trees so he went and did what ever to save them. Pretty much all the neighbors lost theirs. Thanks

Thanks guys, we had maybe 15 assorted trees taken down last month which was before "the beetle attack" so I can readily attest that "it happens fast".
Surprisingly or maybe not surprisingly so surprisingly to someone that knows what they're doing is that for the past 2 days, I noticed is that the pitch tubes have gotten smaller (shrunk).
And Ted, assuming the theory that the attack was a combination of an initial attack by IPS Beetles that weakened / stressed the pine trees followed by Turpentine Beetles that came for the spoils so if I use insecticide(s), I'll get to the "if" in a moment, what insecticides should I buy to control IPS and Turpentine Beetles from spreading? And the IF comment is that our house is on a 1.2 acre wooded lot with LOTS of trees some of them in spots that are difficult to access so I question is it worth the time, effort and cost to spray all the trees and that's not considering that our neighbors have similar acreage and may be keen on taking proactive measures.
In any event, weather permitting 4 or 5 trees will be coming down next week
Thanks guys
Bob

I do not know what type of chemicals are available to you so would have a hard making a reasonable suggestion. From my point of view it would be better to be proactive then wishing a year latter that you had done some thing. I remember when with the USDA Malathion was used, but not knowing for sure if it is the best for your situation. If you have mostly Pine then most likely they will all be gone IF. On my property White Oak and Cedar have rapidly taken over so it would not be the end. It is your call to calculate the best for you. The pitch spots you see that are getting smaller that is because the pitch shrinks as it dries out. You should be looking at new infestation for your decisions. Thanks

Latest posts

Back