Spark arrestor...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edisto

Spelling/Reality Check
Reaction score
Where does the spark arrestor screen fall on your list of checks when your saw starts running like a turd? I know the list order changes from one saw to the next, and varies based on what you last did to the saw, but running through the list today just got me curious about the steps others might follow.

Basically, the 61 was bogging down in the cut. It was doing it a little last time I cut, but that was in high humidity and rain, so I attributed it to bad gas. Today she was running on fresh mix. I bought the saw used, and never have cleaned the carb, so I wouldn't have been surprised to wind up there, but I thought I'd knock the easy stuff off first. Here's what I did:

1) Make sure it wasn't a Stihl.
2) Crack gas cap to make sure there was no vent issue.
3) Check filter. Space was right...no need to check it, it was clean.
4) Cover is off, so might as well look at the plug. Long overdue, but not in bad shape, so I cleaned it, filed it, and regapped it.
5) Plug is out, might as well test compression. 165 coldish.
6) Pull spark arrestor...clogged. Burned it off, put it all back together, ran like a top.

Until you actually see how crappy it makes a saw run it's kind of hard to believe the clogged spark arrestor is the culprit. I've been caught on this one a couple of times so now it is the first thing I check when things start going south.

my guess is you mix either one or 2.5 gallons at a time instead of the splash in what just feels right.I ain't had one clog yet either.

I was gonna say good gas and oil, but that could be it too. I mix anywhere between 1 and 5 gallons at a time, use synthetic oil, and try to use the stuff in a short amount of time. If it gets too long it gets dumped in the truck.

I haven't had a carbon problem with my equipment either.

started to pull one earlier today

It was only a Stihl weedwhacker, but figured it would get lost like the
one off the Poulan 5400, it is loud enough to be heard miles away, no need
of a MM, exhaust pipe on that muffler was factory, no fish gills for that muffler.

Spark screen is the first thing I check if any 2-cycle equip starts but doesn't want to rev. I bought a Stihl FS 55 in really good shape for $20.00, the only thing wrong with it was a clogged spark screen.

Never had one clog up either, or even partly do so. Always use full synthetic which hardly smokes at all at 50:1 :) Full synthetic certainly helps with cleanliness.

Usually the last thing i check..
then i can call myself :censored: dummy even more !!
i have found a lot on saws i take in,not on mine.. cant run just one long enough for that to happen..

Does it hurt anything just to remove it and not use one at all? I just bought a used Husqvarna 326L and pulled it apart to clean it and give it a tune up and I noticed that the spark arrestor was somewhat clogged up. I removed it and cleaned it up, but then just left it out. Will it hurt the engine by not having it in there? I can't see where it would, but I am not positive. Next thing I would like to do is to mod the cat muffler on that thing! :chainsaw:

Edisto, whats a spark arrester?

:)

That was going to be my fix, but the cutting I need to do is in my neighbor's woods. Murphy loves to mess with me, so it stays on until I'm back in my own trees.

Never had one clog up either, or even partly do so. Always use full synthetic which hardly smokes at all at 50:1 :) Full synthetic certainly helps with cleanliness.

Bought the 61 used, but it hadn't been used too much. The machine marks still were clearly visible on the piston....never pulled the screen until yesterday. I used to run Husky oil, but switched to Bailey's synthetic a little while back. I mix .8 or 2 gallons at a time at 40:1.

First time I've had an issue with an arrestor...I'll keep an eye on it, and if it starts accumulating again. If guys are getting no accumulation, then they are running pretty damn clean....the air right next to the screen doesn't move. Same reason dust collects on a fan blade...

The only ones I encounter on my saws are the ones I buy for cheap when the previous owner has clogged them and then thinks the saw is toasted.Pull out the screen and toss it, saw then comes alive and I got myself a great saw for cheap.
Pioneerguy600

My spark arrestors are just like new. Take 'em out when new & they never clog.

The only ones I encounter on my saws are the ones I buy for cheap when the previous owner has clogged them and then thinks the saw is toasted.Pull out the screen and toss it, saw then comes alive and I got myself a great saw for cheap.
Pioneerguy600

If I see your saw being run in our woods with no spark arrestor during fire season, you get to go home early. Maybe you get to go fishing instead of cutting wood or logging.

If I see your saw being run in our woods with no spark arrestor during fire season, you get to go home early. Maybe you get to go fishing instead of cutting wood or logging.

that's just in the crazy PNW. Many European saws don't even come with screens. No such laws in my neck of the woods either and its way drier than the soggy coast

Back