Sparkin' Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N1ST

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was cutting up a felled silver maple tree today and noticed some sparks coming off the chain in 2 different spots in the wood. The area was from about 15 feet high, and I know that things don't "move upward" as a tree grows. So, is there anything natural that would cause a chain to spark? Bar & chain is pretty new.

In the trees around here, Rocky Mntns, it is common to find sand and/or small stones embedded in tree trunks where they've blown in the bark at some point--we get big, big winds here--then the tree grows some more and the sand/pebbles are inside the trunk. Sometimes one can see it easily, the sandy stuff, sometimes not. [I am assuming you aren't asking about the obvious, like a nail or bullet or piece of wire fence, all of which I've found over the years, though fortunately only rarely.] In any case, even sandy wood can cause sparks....

I have found stones the size of a 25-cent piece buried deep within a trunk. Does wonders for a chain by the time you realize something like that is going on.

Last edited:
As said above, occasional sparks are not a big deal. Just make sure the b/c is not getting excessively hot or the bar paint is coming off in droves. Then you have hit something or your oiler has failed, etc.

Latest posts

Back