Speeco SpeedPro splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super split US made, Got a problem ya talk to the real deal.

DR splitter, knock off of SS, Asian sourced, got problem, dealing with corp. conglomerate.

Your choice

Production does not increase if ya got wait for boat from the other side of the Pacific for a part.

I will say, in defense of DR, their customer support has been great. Above and beyond what I expect (but due to the cheap competitive nature these days, that expectation is much lower than what it used to be). I like dealing with DR, however, it appears to me, that SS just has far less issues than the RF does.

anyone out there with a four way wedge on their Supersplit too? I would think it would just max out production, no? I could weld something at my shop if need be, but would be great if Paul could supply one from the get.

There was a guy of You Tube who did one, I doubt if a Manufacturer would supply one but it should be fairly easy for a competent metal worker.

All the bits are made in Asia. where would you find a US made engine?

anyone out there with a four way wedge on their Supersplit too? I would think it would just max out production, no? I could weld something at my shop if need be, but would be great if Paul could supply one from the get.

Once you get used to a SS a 4 way will just slow ya down...:D

There was a guy of You Tube who did one, I doubt if a Manufacturer would supply one but it should be fairly easy for a competent metal worker.

All the bits are made in Asia. where would you find a US made engine?

SS offers Subaru and Honda engines, made in Japan. Not the Chinese ones...

If ya want US made, maybe the higher end Kohler(spl?) and Briggs engines?

I have both hydraulic (27T 13hp motor) and a J-model electric SuperSplit (1.5hp). Now I don't know if the electric does not split as well as the gas powered version but I have run into rounds that will repeatedly stall the ram and blow the circuit breaker.. Specifically partially seasoned elm rounds.
Now if I split similar rounds that are fresh cut- there is seldom a problem.

If I get into large knarly amerian elm rounds - especially a yard tree - I will save those for the hydraulic.

For 95% of the wood I cut- the SS is the best thing since sliced bread.

Not ever having owned one OR ran one I give you my impression of it. I too have watched the Utube videos and all of the ones I have seen they are pretty much just splitting basketball size or smaller straight grained rounds. Sure it plows right through these but I have a hard time believing that you throw a chunk of elm on there and you would get the same results. You have two posters so far giving you a favorable opinion on this machine and I have no reason to doubt their claims. Still I am having a hard time seeing this plow through some really tough non straight grained wood. The one thing I can comment on is on all most every video that I watched they are splitting small enough rounds that if you have a OWB you don't even mess with these. (They go in to the ODW whole) And any way you slice it with out some form of modification or help you are NOT going to split any thing big for sure.(can't get them up to the splitter)This machine is probably the best thing since sliced bread but if you can not yet tell by my post I am not sold on them and will gladly keep chugging along with my ole 35 ton Speeco hydraulic splitter.

I have both hydraulic (27T 13hp motor) and a J-model electric SuperSplit (1.5hp). Now I don't know if the electric does not split as well as the gas powered version but I have run into rounds that will repeatedly stall the ram and blow the circuit breaker.. Specifically partially seasoned elm rounds.
Now if I split similar rounds that are fresh cut- there is seldom a problem.

If I get into large knarly amerian elm rounds - especially a yard tree - I will save those for the hydraulic.

For 95% of the wood I cut- the SS is the best thing since sliced bread.

The gas motor will power on through some tough stuff, where the electric will stall.

But the electric sure is nice and quiet! And no exhaust... :msp_smile:

The gas motor will power on through some tough stuff, where the electric will stall.

But the electric sure is nice and quiet! And no exhaust... :msp_smile:

I kinda of suspected this might be the case... I'll stick with the electric though- it's nice to bring a load home to the heated garage, pull the rounds right out of the truck and throw the splits right back in.

I kinda of suspected this might be the case... I'll stick with the electric though- it's nice to bring a load home to the heated garage, pull the rounds right out of the truck and throw the splits right back in.

I'd like an electric and originally was goin to mount a elec motor under the gas one, then just switch belts back and forth. Just haven't done it yet, but will one day.

The new Super Split has 90 pound flywheels. I've split elm and apple with it. It took 2 or 3 wacks but still found it faster than hydraulic. I went with the Super Split because I didn't have to pay shipping. Paul is a first class stand up guy. I like knowing where my money is going (Paul, his employes,local machinist), not some corporate B.S. (executives, marketing guys, lawyers).

Study the threads...

If you search through the SpeedPro thread, you will see nothing but problems. There were 2 good things about them... They helped introduce me to splitting with a flywheel/kinetic splitter (everything else seems to be in slow motion). The only other good thing about the speedpro was that I got a full refund even after a full year of ownership. You will have to read the speedpro thread for all the woes.

If you search through the DR Rapidfire thread, you will see a lot of happy home owners. But it seems that the commercial owners who split major quantities (50+ cord/year) are having some issues. Downtime sucks when it costs you money. I will say it seems that DR customer service is repairing the machines, but I have to question if it's not a design flaw. I do not own a DR and thank you to the guys posting in there thread for reporting there woes.

If you search through ArboristSite threads for a SuperSplit, as I have for almost a year now, well... I can't find any complaints!

I did own a Speedpro. It would split everything I through at it, really fast. BUT, it would also self-destruct in a short amount of time. I was alot more excited the day I returned it than I was on the day I bought it...that was also the same day I ordered my SS!!!

Now I own a SuperSplit J model. I love it. The quality parts and workmanship are obvious. Just ran some Hickory and some White Oak through it. I had one knotted piece that I had to hit twice in a truckload. I used to hate splitting white oak because it is so stringy. Took forever with a hydro because you had to run the wedge through a full cycle because of the stringyness. Now I have to double check that it is white oak because with the SS it splits like Ash.

Just my $.02 worth... hope it helps.

+1 for the SS

If you search through the SpeedPro thread, you will see nothing but problems. There were 2 good things about them... They helped introduce me to splitting with a flywheel/kinetic splitter (everything else seems to be in slow motion). The only other good thing about the speedpro was that I got a full refund even after a full year of ownership. You will have to read the speedpro thread for all the woes.

If you search through the DR Rapidfire thread, you will see a lot of happy home owners. But it seems that the commercial owners who split major quantities (50+ cord/year) are having some issues. Downtime sucks when it costs you money. I will say it seems that DR customer service is repairing the machines, but I have to question if it's not a design flaw. I do not own a DR and thank you to the guys posting in there thread for reporting there woes.

If you search through ArboristSite threads for a SuperSplit, as I have for almost a year now, well... I can't find any complaints!

I did own a Speedpro. It would split everything I through at it, really fast. BUT, it would also self-destruct in a short amount of time. I was alot more excited the day I returned it than I was on the day I bought it...that was also the same day I ordered my SS!!!

Now I own a SuperSplit J model. I love it. The quality parts and workmanship are obvious. Just ran some Hickory and some White Oak through it. I had one knotted piece that I had to hit twice in a truckload. I used to hate splitting white oak because it is so stringy. Took forever with a hydro because you had to run the wedge through a full cycle because of the stringyness. Now I have to double check that it is white oak because with the SS it splits like Ash.

Just my $.02 worth... hope it helps.

+1 for the SS

Thx Dozer...how much do you split a year? I see there is a Heavy Duty model...I wish to double my output at least to over 60 cords, i assume the J model is up for that?

I am also a Hydro splitter user, sell about 15-20 cord a year, looking to do more. Looking to upgrade to a SS in the very near future. I also live about 35 minutes from Paul's operation. May have to take a ride to go see him at some point.

Howard ,ohio Mech splitter

I've bought this splitter a year ago and It is awesome!!! made right here in Ohio!!Splits everything some stuff might take a couple of wackes,but it does the job.Very well built splitter!!Worth its weight in GOLD!!

Pete

Thx Dozer...how much do you split a year? I see there is a Heavy Duty model...I wish to double my output at least to over 60 cords, i assume the J model is up for that?

It's doubtful that I will ever do more than 15-20 cord a year. You should talk to Paul about which model is best for your situation. He had a number of cords produced for a break off point between the J model and the HD. I can't remember if it was 50 or 100 cord/yr.

Ohio made splitter ?????

I've bought this splitter a year ago and It is awesome!!! made right here in Ohio!!Splits everything some stuff might take a couple of wackes,but it does the job.Very well built splitter!!Worth its weight in GOLD!!

Pete

What's the name of this splitter? Where can I go see/buy one?

The J and HD are basically the same, but the HD has an extra set of bearings on the under side of the ram head. It also has 3 bearings inline on the engagement cam that run on the top of the rack, where the J as only one bearing. HD also has a 6 HP motor, but I don't see any need for more than the 4.5hp on the J.

I upgraded my J to the 3 bearing rack engagement, after breaking the single bearing, while splitting several cords of big dry red elm. Easy upgrade and Paul had the parts to me in 3 days.

For commercial use of 60+ cords, I'd go with the HD model. It'll be a life time machine...

I am not sure how much wood I split today, 4 hours straight and my back hurts from bending down to pick it up. There is a very very big pile of split wood.

I do know that I used less than a gallon of fuel. I have the Subaru engine, 6HP, say 4 1/2 due to my altitude and never need to run it at more than 3/4 throttle.

The HD model also has 90lb flywheels. I don't know what the weight of the J model flywheels are but they are lighter. Sunfish is spot on about the extra bearings too.

Latest posts

Back