Speeco ( TSC ) 22 ton log cradle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homemade table idea

I made my cradle more like a table. I took some small angle, cut and tack welded into an "L" shape (2 required). I bolted these to the frame through the existing bolt holes. My intention was to connect the ends of the legs together to make triangles, but got hurried and excited so I tried it without (works fine). On top of the horizontal legs, I screwed 2x6 pieces about 24" long (up though the "L's." I would make these longer to protect the hydraulic filter assembly if I do it again. The real benefit is that the table ends up almost flush with the top of the beam, and when I'm splitting, I slice a piece off for the pile and the big part lays on the table. With one hand, I can slide it over for the next stroke of the splitter.

Cheap, fast, and good - not very often a fella gets all three together.

p.s.: It needs to come off if going vertical which I rarely do.

Here's my log craddles, I used the factory mounting holes and mine does NOT need removed to go vertical.

That was my next question , do I have to make it easy on and off so it can be removed for going vertical or can I bolt it on and leave it on all the time , not sure why it would be in the way for going vertical .

The one from flame33 on ebay has to come off before turning the splitter vertical. It hits the tire before it is completely vertical. This one you bolt a piece of flat stock (comes with it) to the splitter that has a lip. The main part of the table then hooks on the lip. The weight of the table holds it into place. Stay put while splitting. If you tow the splitter you just lift up on the table and it comes unhooked. Bumps will bounce the table off.

If you make your own, try a table on just one side first. I like to stand with my hip and left hand rotating the partial round while my right hand works the lever. I'd think two tables would cause you to always be reaching for the wood or the lever. But then again I'm one of those odd balls that like the wedge on the ram :)

If you noticed on mine, I added a foot control. this allows me to stand at the back of the splitter and allows me to use both hands manuvering the wood. this also works in the vert. position.

I agree , just the one table on the off side , I think the other would be in your way big time !!

Does anyone have a pic of the speeco table showing the way it attaches to the I beam ??

I agree , just the one table on the off side , I think the other would be in your way big time !!

Does anyone have a pic of the speeco table showing the way it attaches to the I beam ??

Interested in a photo as well. Who has one?

The Speeco one is very strong. You will tip over your splitter from log weight on the business end of the splitter before you break the log catcher because of how well it is made.

:agree2:

I wouldn't be without mine on both the 35 and 22 tonner. But now be aware that the Huskee 22 ton model from TSC is not predrilled with mounting holes. Only the SPEECO brand models are pre-drilled.

I also have one of 33Flame's catchers, and they are built well, but require a lot of custom fitting and drilling that I didn't have time for. It's for sale, too.

:agree2:

I wouldn't be without mine on both the 35 and 22 tonner. But now be aware that the Huskee 22 ton model from TSC is not predrilled with mounting holes. Only the SPEECO brand models are pre-drilled.

I don't know when you bought yours, but my 22 ton Huskee from TSC made by Speeco had the holes pre drilled. I just used the supplied hardware to bolt it on in about 5 miutes. I purchased my splitter in April at the Hagerstown Maryland TSC.

Just purchased mine about a month ago and there are a couple holes in the beam , I just need to see a pic on how they mount it !

Has anyone come up with a good close up of the mount of a speeco log catcher , might try and see what I can come up with this weekend. I was looking at the I beam and there are quite a few holes already drilled .I was thinking to bolt a piece of channel to the beam with the holes already there which would leave a lip to lock the table into .Pics always help though !!!!

Last edited:
log catcher

The 2010 huskee 22 ton splitters have 2 threaded holes to mount the table to.

There are two threaded holes in the rail, and two more bolt holes in the side of the I-beam. Stay tuned for a picture

Kevin@SpeeCo

i bought the speeco one and it is quite sturdy, under $50 i think-

if there is no picture on here by morning, i will take a picture of mine tuesday- the splitter and i are separated till then :msp_smile:

I bought the log cradle for my new 22T TSC splitter back in March. It's still in the back seat of my truck, haven't mounted it yet.

Store had to order it (wasn't stocked in-store) and took less than a week. About $50.

Shoot, depending how well the Speeco one is made I would spend $50 on one.

By the time I figure in the time I find the steel, weld it up and my time....

$50 is a good deal. I was under the assumption it was $100+ for it...

The Speeco one is very strong. You will tip over your splitter from log weight on the business end of the splitter before you break the log catcher because of how well it is made.

Last fall our Fleet store ran a special on the Speeco Splitters; they also sold the table for something like 28.00 each; we wanted two of them thinking it would be nice to have the extra table on the other side. It turned out they sold 50 tables in two days so I had to take a rain check. I think it was like 80 days when they finally came in and I soon found out that the pre-drilled holes on my beam were only on the one side of the splitter. Thinking the tables were a bit flimsy, I had my doubts but I drilled the holes for the second side and installed them. Like Rudedog said, you will tip the splitter over before the tables give out. If you can lift it, the tables will hold it and not give way. I throw my wood up on to the tables and they seem to hold up well. I pull our splitter through the woods and catch a lot of brush with the tables and they seem to hold up well.

Most of the time I split by myself and right next to where I might stack or next to the trailer so a table on each side allows me to stack both tables with splits and not bend over a second time. I stack so much weight on each table that I need to keep the splitter connected to the wheeler so it don’t tip. They would be easy enough to make but I couldn’t buy the steel, cut it to size, weld the pieces and powder paint it for the price I paid. The truth is; knowing what I know now, I would even pay the full price.

Latest posts

Back