Spencer tape question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sILlogger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i got a 50' spencer tape a year or so ago. well i broke the tape on it and i replaced it...that was A TRUE PITA!!(i didn't know what i was doing)...my question is how do i increase the tension? (i still don't know what i'm doing)

i got a 50' spencer tape a year or so ago. well i broke the tape on it and i replaced it...that was A TRUE PITA!!(i didn't know what i was doing)...my question is how do i increase the tension? (i still don't know what i'm doing)

Be careful, the new 50footers are not like the old ones, they have a weaker spring and pawl to break. Just loosen the screws on the side that have the picture of the logger, and tighten a turn at a time by winding the blue portion of the tape clockwise. Test and re-tighten the perimeter screws, test again. I broke a newer one this fall trying to tighten it too much. It had a hard spring in it. My other new one takes forever to wind up, go figure :dizzy:.

Not as strong as the old ones, but they are lighter.

Also, you should go with the electricians tape on the first 5 inches of your tape. It will keep the end from getting sucked up and twisted around wrong. Start just below your nail, and give it some really nice tight wraps down to 5 inches. Some guys go more or less, I like 5 just fine.

Last edited:
I've found it helpful in this wet climate to drill a tiny hole in the spring housing so I can shoot in some Blaster TDL dry lube. It resists water pretty well but still only lasts three days or so when things are sopping wet. If a tape has gotten full of water then I let it dry and shoot in some aerosol brake cleaner, blow it out and then lube it.

Jesse, I really like Caleb, but we can't give away our secrets over on the left coast. It is funny watching guys fumble with tapes and fillers. Don't know how many sore jaws and stomach I have gotten from watching guys try to fix tapes.
I will tell you Caleb, that I am teasing and that soaking them in diesel helps with the insides. Anyway do what Burvol said.
I use electricans tape to 9 inches.

Tighten it too much, and it won't unwind all the way to 50' if you want it to.
Don't drop it on concrete either, that affects the rewind. How do I know this? :cry: I did it and my tape will never win a tape race. I used pink duck tape to tape the end of mine. That way, I can find it. :greenchainsaw:

Jesse, I really like Caleb, but we can't give away our secrets over on the left coast. It is funny watching guys fumble with tapes and fillers. Don't know how many sore jaws and stomach I have gotten from watching guys try to fix tapes.
I will tell you Caleb, that I am teasing and that soaking them in diesel helps with the insides. Anyway do what Burvol said.
I use electricans tape to 9 inches.

well...i can tell you this.......you should have seen me replace this tape...WOW!! i had the whole thing apart...i didn't know what i was doing...i guess you could just loosen the one side, take the tension off.. pull the take out, install new and re-apply tension?

btw...i've got the tension where i want it and i'm applying tape...you guys are great!!

o yea....and you really gotta hold on to that one side when u loosen those screws!!

Can you even get fillers for the older Spencer 50'er? Seems to me I called Baileys, and the gal didn't know?

You had the entire thing apart? And got it back together again and working? :clap: I've seen a couple of guys get pretty good distance throwing the handful of parts that used to be their tape.

You had the entire thing apart? And got it back together again and working? :clap: I've seen a couple of guys get pretty good distance throwing the handful of parts that used to be their tape.

o yea....spring out and all.....it was fun.....then again ive had to rewind several chainsaw recoils....so ive got some practice with those pesky little springs

o yea....spring out and all.....it was fun.....then again ive had to rewind several chainsaw recoils....so ive got some practice with those pesky little springs

You should win a prize. I had the good fortune to be taught how to reload a tape in it, and the warning about The Spring Of Doom that will fly out. Now, were you out in the woods doing this? That would be worth even more points.

You should win a prize. I had the good fortune to be taught how to reload a tape in it, and the warning about The Spring Of Doom that will fly out. Now, were you out in the woods doing this? That would be worth even more points.

nope...at home on the workbench. ive done saw recoils on the tailgate tho.

The easiest way that I have found to load a new refill is to, take the black or masking tape off of the new one and unwind about two feet or so of it, then put it back in the small tight fitting ziplock bag it came in or put it in your shirt pocket with the end sticking out. Dont lose control of it, should still be the way it came except for the two feet sticking out of your pocket.
Pull the rest of the old filler off, put your finger inside and hold tension on the spool,carb screw driver will loosen the screw holding the end of the tape. Remove old filler, stick on new end then with one hand over shirt pocket (so tape doesnt escape) slowly release the tape spool. It will not wind all of the way and you will have to rewind the tension.
I like the black tape on the last 5 or 6 in. too. That is where most of the wear is.

Also, just loosen the screw that holds the end of the filler, dont take it out.

Also, just loosen the screw that holds the end of the filler, dont take it out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Slowp don't take the scew all the way out. Two turns is plenty.
Does anybody still have a Flasher tape?
I had one but it walked out of my tool box. Some days I miss it especially when bucking longer logs. But I don't miss the nail whacking me or the tape wrapping me up if I lost my grip as it was coming in.

i got this one from madsens.....and i got the tri flow lube that they sell...i guess it is good stuff.

Any of you fellows ever use/try - An automotive wax like the Turtle hard shell on these tapes?

Any of you fellows ever use/try - An automotive wax like the Turtle hard shell on these tapes?

Never thought of that. It might increase speed for tape racing. I've used jungle juice to clean them, then went to WD40 because it takes the pitch off also. That's it. Mine is slow due to the dent in the reel.:cry:

Back