spike pads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkstar

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
i have climbed in plain buckingham spikes and pads for 15 years ... i used to duct tape on a little x tra padding on hard months ....now my crew is asking for better pads etc ...any suggestions ? i have about 5 pairs of standerd buckingham spikes ... sheew ive always been interested in the gekos .... but thought hmmm ? ive used the aluminum pads, as well ,they were good ,but i guess i got used to the old originals .... but not my crew ...they are a begging for a better pad and a bucket truck hahah .. dark

I've been using the super wraps with the steel inserts for a number of years now. I've used other pads, and even the super wraps without the steel... all junk. A bunch of people on here like the caddy pads which you can get from Bailey's, amongst other vendors, but they didn't work out too well for me.

I use buc buc pads right now. I am going to get a pair of super wraps or caddy pads next.

I think I will like them ALOT better because with buc bucs and others the top of the shank naturally tries to push back around your calf, with the steel inserts or caddy pads it will hold them to the shin better and prevent the twisting.

My 2 cents

I use Buckinham spurs and have used Kline spurs both with aluminium pads that have harder foam on the inside. It says Opsal cast into the aluminium, good support.

i cant say much about this since i learned to climb in geckos, however i have tried on several different types and the geckos in every category beat the snot out of the competition

the pads on my spurs kill my legs if i'm on them for more than an hour or two. so, and i know this is cheesy, but, i have a couple specially cut pieces of carpet to each leg. i use duct tape. the homemade pads are made from an old, heavy, area rug. they wrap about a time and a half around my calf and cover about the inside half all along my shins. tape the top around about by calf and a couple wraps around the ankle. ugly, but effective. i can climb all day long and never feel em and they are on the inside of my pants so nobdy else sees ;)

To me, the most comfortable pads I have used are the velcros without the steel insert. The steel insert puts pressure on one spot and it starts to hurt real quick. I had a couple of other guys try it out and they did not like the steel inserts either. The Caddy pads are good also. I use soccer foam shin pads on my leg and put the pads over that. Real comfort.

Koa Man said:
To me, the most comfortable pads I have used are the velcros without the steel insert. The steel insert puts pressure on one spot and it starts to hurt real quick. I had a couple of other guys try it out and they did not like the steel inserts either. The Caddy pads are good also. I use soccer foam shin pads on my leg and put the pads over that. Real comfort.

yeh i tried them velcros and couldnt wait to get outa them.

I'm running Buckingham steel replaceables with the super wraps w/ steel insert. I also threw on a set of shank pads. These things are the cats meow.

tony

Climbing in cheap stock pads is like using dull chain on a saw. Sure you'll get through it eventually but you'll wear out the saw and yourself in the process. Pads are not that expensive so there's no reason not to upgrade for such an increase in comfort which translates into an increase in productivity.

If the steel insert pads are wearing in one spot on your leg than they need to be bent to conform to your leg. It may take a few progressive bends to hit the sweet spot but it will get better.

Back