spike trimming malpractice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Legally - No, Ethically - Oughtta be, Professionally - Yes.

Spikes are for removals and emergencys only. IMO

To clarify, for those who haven't heard of or don't care for it...ANSI A300 Pruning Standards 5.2.2 states

"Climbing spurs shall not be used when climbing or pruning trees.

Exceptions:
- when limbs are more than a throwline distance apart and there is no other means of climbing the tree
- when the bark is thick enough to prevent damage to the cambium;
- in remote or rural utility rights-of-way."

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: more to come I'm sure

Yup its no good, have I done it, yes for powerline clearance but no doubt it did damage the trees somewhat. I don't use them for prunes in my service, damage to the cambium would not be service.

Is climbing with spikes for residential pruning considered by anyone but me fraud or malpractice?

Legally - No.

But anybody in business would tell you that you NEVER spike a tree for pruning. I have heard lots of arguments about some trees that it does not hurt.. etc. (and frankly there are a few around that I could care less if anybody spikes or not.. a few less of some tree species may not hurt around here -- but that is another story :) )

No.. not a good practice. Don't do it.. and if you do then NEVER admit to it! Not professionally correct.

Last edited:
I ain't never climbed on spikes.......

due to the vast advancements that rope climbing has made i rarley use them. i use them more for positioning myself out on a limb more than anything than anything. its alot less wearing on the body kicking back in the sadle than standing on spurs all day.

Well when you gotta do it, you gotta do it. It is bad for the trees though. But if the tree can compartmentalize a nail, I think it'll most often survive a spike.

Well when you gotta do it, you gotta do it. It is bad for the trees though. But if the tree can compartmentalize a nail, I think it'll most often survive a spike.

Well, likely depends on tree species to some degree. Thicker bark can always handle it better. But regardless, never recommended.

On another topic.. somewhat distantly related to wounds in trees I guess.. when growing up we always tapped sugar maples each spring, and some on farm had been done for nearly a century before me.. and it never seemed to cause any long term negative impact.

Now there were only one, two or maybe three holes in the trees. But they were deeper than spur gaffs.. Never have heard about any studies on long term impact of maple production on trees.

We never had more than two or maybe a few very large trees with three spigots. But according to government studies, you can put up to four in larger trees.

TAP HOLE GUIDE
Trees less than 25 centimetres in diameter . . . . . . . . . . . . . .0 tap holes
Trees 25 to 35 centimetres in diameter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1 tap hole
Trees 38 to 49 centimetres in diameter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2 tap holes
Trees 50 to 60 centimetres in diameter . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . .3 tap holes
Trees over 63 centimetres in diameter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4 tap holes

Tap holes should be drilled into the tree’s whitecolored sapwood on an upward angle to a depth of 7.5 centimetres. (that is 3 inches almost straight in.. )

Has anybody ever seen any long term negative impact from maple production on trees? Now there are obvious issues with the wound itself caused by the spigot, but also there is the loss of sap in larger trees gallons of it every day for several days!

and probably do it a lot faster than the 100 or more open wounds made with a saw....

and probably do it a lot faster than the 100 or more open wounds made with a saw....
This comparison pops up now and then, usually from climbers who are too fat or cheap or lazy or du--underinformed to learn how to get up a tree without stabbing it.

1. Wounds are made with a saw to achieve the owner's objectives. Spike wounds are made to achieve ease for the hack.

2. Wounds are made with a saw at specific locations to speed closure. Spike wounds are made internodal, where bark is thin and defenses are down.

I used spikes to ascend the upper stem of a sweetgum about 4 years ago. I wouldn't have to now because even at my advanced age I can pick up a new trick now and then. :givebeer:

That, and lay off the pizza and beer and stay in shape. I've never seen a fat climber who could get around in a tree worth a hoot.

This comparison pops up now and then, usually from climbers who are too fat or cheap or lazy or du--underinformed to learn how to get up a tree without stabbing it.

1. Wounds are made with a saw to achieve the owner's objectives. Spike wounds are made to achieve ease for the hack.

2. Wounds are made with a saw at specific locations to speed closure. Spike wounds are made internodal, where bark is thin and defenses are down.

I used spikes to ascend the upper stem of a sweetgum about 4 years ago. I wouldn't have to now because even at my advanced age I can pick up a new trick now and then. :givebeer:

That, and lay off the pizza and beer and stay in shape. I've never seen a fat climber who could get around in a tree worth a hoot.
why don't you just admit that it's just pure aesthetics and a sales pitch because that's all it is.......your not going to make me believe that a saw cut will close before a 1/2 spike wound....

why don't you just admit that it's just pure aesthetics and a sales pitch because that's all it is.......your not going to make me believe that a saw cut will close before a 1/2 spike wound....

Doesn't the spike wound in the main stem interfere with the tree's circulatory system from the root to the crown?
And doesn't a pruning wound interfere with the ability to circulate fluids to the branch that isn't there any more?

And all those extra wounds are "free" to the tree to seal too right? The tree doesn't have to expend any rescources to compartmentalize and seal over the wounds, does it?

Latest posts

Back