Spikeless Climb??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis~

There are a variety of options here, depending on the availability of gear and skill level of the climbers. How many guys do this a day and are they tree climbers or local workers?

I have had the best results in the field with setting a static line dead center on the palm head with a throwline. You need to blow the trowline all the way over the top and back down to the ground, then haul up your static line. From here you can either use Single or Double Rope techniques. For DRT place a pulley loaded with the climbline on one end of the static line and haul it up as far as possible without cramming it into the head. Secure the static line with a sling/figure 8 or other friction device. The pulley makes all the difference to get up and now you can ascend/descend with your friction hitch/tender pulley set up. Sometimes it's nice to set a 2/1 advantage system on the static to make ascending even easier.

I would just leave a bunch of throwlines set in all the trees, so life support gear doesn't get damaged/compromised by weather/UV rays! It takes little setup time once mastered and would be safer than leaving something up in the palm in my opinion.

Hope this helps!

X-man

Long Pole Saws

Buy a few Jameson pole saws with extra extensions to reach those high coconuts. The Corona lopper end would probably work better for the coconuts than the saw end I would think, though I've never harvested coconuts before.

Will

Latest posts

Back