Spike's 2015 GTG--NOT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Thought I ought to put this up as guys are planning what GTG's they are going to this fall. We've got so much going on here right now that we are going to take a year off. All good stuff, but a little too much stuff. Instead of the usual "I can't wait til the GTG", it's been more of a "Geez, we gotta do that saw thing again already". Even the guy who takes all the cookies sold his OWB, and we don't have a destination for all those things! Therefore I thought I should pass this on so that guys planning to come here may want to consider going to Lee's or the Norwich, CT event.

But it's also gotten a little stale the last 2 years and I want to change the direction a little bit and expand the participation. To me the high $ ported saws are a little over represented anymore. Yeah their fun and all, but if that's all that's there, it's boring. We end up with too many of the same handful of Husky and Stihl models, built by the same handful of builders. A half dozen 372's built by the same guy is interesting? If it wasn't for Lee, JP, the guys from the Cutting Edge and a couple others, we'd have very little variety here.

One result of all this is that I think a lot of guys with stock or DIY builds think that they don't have a saw that's cool or interesting enough, and that it's not about them. WRONG. You are the guys we want to see more of. Part of the reason we do GTG's is to exchange and share information. That's how we all learn and pick up ideas for our next project. And let's be honest, a guy who built his own saw adds more to the conversation than a guy who wrote a check. So, whether you build a stock saw or you did some mods at home, that work ought to be appreciated just as much as a saw built by a pro with expensive machine tools.

Same goes for guys with stock and older saws. It's about you too. A 70E or 038 Mag that's run it's bar through hundreds of cords of wood over the years has earned a different kind of respect than the latest and greatest bling saw. Your first saw, a saw you inherited from your Dad, the one saw that did all your work before CAD set in. ;), the less common models and brands, the Macs and Homies that can still get it done. Those saws all tell a little different story that should be part of what we are doing here.

So, We're gonna take a year off, and get back on the program next year. Gonna miss those donuts though. o_O

Very sorry to hear that you are not having the GTG, but I understand. Looks like the summer one will not happen also, and that and yours were the two closest to me.

Hey, I always bring my non ported 044, and I've always enjoyed running some of the saws that you have also.

To me, I enjoy meeting the people as much as anything, and yeah, fast saws do impress me, even if some of the big beasts are far more than I would ever need. It is like going to the track, you see lots of cars that are faster than anything you will ever own, but at the GTG, you can often run those saws!!!

I have trouble hearing people over the saw noise, so I really enjoyed that we all got together and talked after the Summer GTG last year, perhaps we should schedule that as part of it each year. A break when all the saws stop and we eat & talk. It was even nice to hear about cars and other non saw stuff.

All the best Bob, hope to see you soon.

That just may be the best post I've read on here yet!
I hope to see you at my place in Nov. If not then hopefully I can make yours next year.

Thanks for the kind words, and I plan on being there. Nice area over that way. Used to go through Norwich every year back when they had the Cajun/Bluegrass festival just over in Escoheag, RI. and also the event at Strawberry Park.

Very sorry to hear that you are not having the GTG, but I understand. Looks like the summer one will not happen also, and that and yours were the two closest to me.

Hey, I always bring my non ported 044, and I've always enjoyed running some of the saws that you have also.

To me, I enjoy meeting the people as much as anything, and yeah, fast saws do impress me, even if some of the big beasts are far more than I would ever need. It is like going to the track, you see lots of cars that are faster than anything you will ever own, but at the GTG, you can often run those saws!!!

I have trouble hearing people over the saw noise, so I really enjoyed that we all got together and talked after the Summer GTG last year, perhaps we should schedule that as part of it each year. A break when all the saws stop and we eat & talk. It was even nice to hear about cars and other non saw stuff.

All the best Bob, hope to see you soon.

Thanks Mike!

I ain't going anywhere, and I hope to see you at either Lee's or in Norwich. Just that we have a bunch of stuff to do on the property and all before winter and the GTG timing simply isn't that favorable this go 'round. Lotta things on the plate at the moment. Plus next year I expect to have a couple of new models for guys to mess with. (no details. LOL)

Been a really busy year. 1st year with Gravely. Saws going nuts now too. People freaking on 60cc class saws this week. 1-2258, 2-2260, 2-455, 1-460, and 5-562. Plus a couple 550's and a 545 and 365. More saws in the shop than can fit on the rack. And the Stihl dealer 1/4 mile down the road is closing and moving 25 miles away, which is a whole 'nother discussion.

My comments in the first post were not intended to be a negative towards the ported saw thing. I really just want the guys with stock and DIY saws to know that they are as welcome as anyone else and they ought to come out and be part of it all.

You said what needed saying.....These GTG's are so much fun that I would HATE for anyone to be intimidated and simply choose to stay home. Especially, if they felt like their saw was just not cool enough. You are spot on that porting is far from being the only thing that makes a saw cool. I have not been to your place, and I'm sorry there is going to be one less GTG this fall. However, if the next GTG you have has the atmosphere you suggest, it should be fantastic!

Spot on my friend. The saws that interest me at the GTGs are the cool old beasts that have been put back in service. I see far too many hopped up work saws.......and the sound of a high strung cant cutter hurts my ears. One of the best GTGs I've went to was in Central VA........and there was a bunch of old mag saws in the wood. They even had a two man saw race. Now cool is that? :)

Spot on my friend. The saws that interest me at the GTGs are the cool old beasts that have been put back in service. I see far too many hopped up work saws.......and the sound of a high strung cant cutter hurts my ears. One of the best GTGs I've went to was in Central VA........and there was a bunch of old mag saws in the wood. They even had a two man saw race. Now cool is that? :)

That IS cool. It's good to see something different like that.

I had a small GTG at the house a few years back and we did something that was a blast. I wouldn't be able to do this on a large scale, but what I did was have a few dead and torn down saws all boxed up. Deal was If you could get it running, it was yours to keep. :) It was fun and turned into a different kind of saw race: Who get's it running first. Couple guys hadn't been that deep into a saw, but everything went together the way it was supposed to. Only close call was someone got the handle screws confused with the cylinder bolts on a Jonsered 625 and was about to wreck his crankcase, but I noticed it just in time.

It also helped make the "hang out" time better. Like Mike said, it's hard to BS with each other if saws are screamiing non stop.

That IS cool. It's good to see something different like that.

I had a small GTG at the house a few years back and we did something that was a blast. I wouldn't be able to do this on a large scale, but what I did was have a few dead and torn down saws all boxed up. Deal was If you could get it running, it was yours to keep. :) It was fun and turned into a different kind of saw race: Who get's it running first. Couple guys hadn't been that deep into a saw, but everything went together the way it was supposed to. Only close call was someone got the handle screws confused with the cylinder bolts on a Jonsered 625 and was about to wreck his crankcase, but I noticed it just in time.

It also helped make the "hang out" time better. Like Mike said, it's hard to BS with each other if saws are screamiing non stop.
Now that sounds like a lot of fun!

I think you hit a great point with newer members/members with stock saws not feeling like they should attend. I felt hesitation at first but just about every AS member that I've met and/or done business with have been great folks. Everyone should attend where they can and get to know their AS "neighbors".

Latest posts

Back