Spilled oil on concrete... what removes it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find none of the "dry" removal methods will lift Stihl bar oil well. The Paratac (tackifier) stops them from doing much at all. A good strong alkaline cleaner will though...

Last edited:
Bar oil aint as bad as trans fluid...once, I was heading down the hill from my crib and all of a sudden when I gave the pedal some gas, nothing happened. So I turn the truck around half way down to head back up the hill and holy smokes...I had the gas pedal to the floor and it was barely moving...well, one of the trans lines got loose and lost most of the trans fluid...crazy streak down the middle of the road!!! Needless to say, I made it back up to the garage....barely:dizzy:

Oh, it took mother nature a few months to get the stains off the driveway...

Rick

I haven't tried it on bar oil but I've been successful in lifting 5W30 from my concrete garage floor with kitty litter. Just cover the stain for a few days and keep the rain off.

Floor soap?

Hell, that's cleaned all my stains off. Wet the floor, sprinkle some soap, scrub down with a stiff bristle broom and squeegee off.

Leave it. Gives the driveway character. Also, if someone steals your driveway you'll be able to recognize it by the stain.

OK - I know, get serious- I've found that good ol rainwater after a storm has removed stains left by my chainsaw cleanups / repairs. Probably acid rain.

Invite all your neighbors over for a big sock hop. Charge them all five bucks to get in and hand out special gasoline treated socks for them to wear.

I spilled some Stihl bar and chain oil on my driveway. Any ideas on what will remove the darker area on the concrete so it'll match the rest of it again.

Continue to spill the Stihl bar and chain oil evenly over the entire driveway. Eventually the darker area will be "removed".

Do all the stuff they said and then get a piece of sheet rock and brake it up. When you get it in a powder rub it in and let it sit there for a a couple of hours. See if that works. We do this at work when the cutting oil gets on the concrete and it seems to work. Worth a try if all fails.

I've used Coleman camp fuel and a rag to get most of my oil stains off. Then I put some Portland cement over it for a few days & sweep it up.

oil stain

What works for me is mineral spirts covered with cat litter, smashed in with in my feet then a couple of days later get the power washer out ,spray with either Purple Power ,Gunk, Tekulsov, Gum out carb cleaner and hot soapy water . The hot water I get of the line I installed on the outlet of my water heater.:jawdrop: I then repeat the process the next week 'caue I spilled something else:censored:

As stated before after cleaning with mineral spirits of some sort or other and all the oil is up but still a stain there, use muratic acid to make squeeky clean.

Back