Splicing 12 strand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adkpk

Adkpk

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've been trying to splice a piece of 12 strand all night. All seemed well until fiding it through. How can one possibly get a 1/2 inch fid through the center of the rope? (It's the only fid that the 6 strands will fit into). So I fashioned a wire one but then I can't get the rope started inside the rope to start the splice. I am sure I am doing something wrong.

Adkpk

Adkpk

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yes I have the splicing kit from Samson and the instructions on 12 strand but there is no specific fid (needle size) mentioned. I assume it is 1/2" fid seeing it's the only fid in the kit that the six strands fit into. But when I enter the fid into the core of the rope it's seems impossible to push it through. Does anyone know the trick to getting the fid through the weave of the rope?

GrndsKpr-Wlly

GrndsKpr-Wlly

Check the Samson website for the proper instructions, I just bought a piece of their rope for a replacement winch rope, and dicovered it came with no eye.. So I searched the net and found the intructions on Samson site, It took quiet a bit of cussing, but I got it done after shrink tubing the end and spraying Fluid Film on it and then fishing it through.... But I have used it to winch my truck out the mud with my 4wheeler, so it must be strong enough...Now this applies to an eye in the end not splicing two pieces together, so i am limited in that respect....

Last edited:
Adkpk

Adkpk

Addicted to ArboristSite
Son of a gun, I just checked the Sherrill website and I see it's grizzly spliced. Oh well. I was just trying to see if I could do it on a 5' piece I cut because it was frayed, no harm done. Ultimately I was going to try to splice my own split tail. Thanks guys.

Why don't they tell you these things in the instructions?

Latest posts