Spliiter for hire?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnf0929

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I put my ad on CL for firewood and a guy emailed me saying he had some wood (he said "a cord or so") that he wanted split and wanted to know if I'd be interested in the job and what I'd charge. I told him $35 a hour (2 hr minimum) and said I'd have to check out what he had to see how much, how knotty, how small he wanted it split before I could estimate the time it would take me. Anybody else ever do this type of thing and if so what do you charge?

Never done it before. But for 35$/hr and depending if he wanted it stacked and how knotty the wood is i would jump on it. Nowadays money is money and if someone doesnt want to go rent a splittor from the rental dept and do there own labor then they will be paying for it. Of course last i checked the rental place was charging around 80$ i think a day for rent on a 35 ton splittor. If i could get 35$/hr i would jump on it but get a written note or something for the services explaining labor done and cost and take pictures of before and after incase something goes bad. Also release of liability if you have to back into the yard for underground sprinklers, etc.

There are a few on CL out this way advertising for $25-$50/hr. Some have a minimum (HRS) some are charging for travel time. If you have the time and a good splitter I say go for it. Just lay everything out in front.

Some ads around here too.

$25-$35/hr, seems fair.

You'll make out like a bandit on American elm, that stringy cross grain takes twice as long as any other wood.

I probably see the same ads as some of the other posters.

One that sticks in my mind is a guy with a Timberwolf. $35/hour, 2 hour minimum IIRC. Customer provides at least one able bodied grunt, two are recommended to maximize efficiency.

Back