Split shaft combi tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7sleeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know that this is a chainsaw area but does anybody have any experience with split shaft/ combi tools like the Stihl ?

I would like to buy the product from Shindaiwa because the price is payable for me.
p7.gif

It should include trimmer, chainsaw pruner and hedge trimmer. The use would be strickly homeowner. I would use it mainly for grass trimming and a few times a year cutting the the trees and so forth.

Thanks for the info

Last edited:
In general convertible tools do not work as well or as quickly as a tool dedicated to that particular job. Shindaiwa used to make superior trimmers and powerbrooms. The t270 was legendary for both durability and performance. If the price is right, it may workout for you. Try posting this over in lawnsite. They may be able to tell you more about this tool and its attachments.

Under homeowner use, with proper care & maintenance it should last you many many years.
We've had no problems with Shindaiwa's multitools, under pro use and otherwise.

multi use tools

I have a mini tiller on a crap ryobi head, but it still works great in my garden, the tools fit several maufacturers motors.Plus you can't beat anything by shindaiwa weedeaters, they last forever.

Yes, I've used the Echo PAS 260 system for years and it's never let me down. This includes slashing thru acres of overgrown blackberries using the hedge trimmer, using a solid blade in the string trimmer to cut a slit for underground electric dog fence and using the chainsaw on a stick for pruning.

I think these combo systems are great. However I'd save some money and not buy the rototiller attachment if I could do it over again.

I have the stihl KM130.. and a bunch of attachments. It rocks...

The Stihl attachments are pro-quality, work great, but are not inexpensive...

multi-tools

I own a Stihl KM55 and a Shindaiwa P231 both with only a pole pruner attachment. Both start, run, and cut flawlessly: however, the Shindaiwa has a problem of throwing the chain (maybe once or twice per tank) ,and it busts the chain cover. ($10-$15/ cover depending on dealer) Apparently they are not covered by warranty as I'm on my third cover so far. Supposedly, I'm the only person known to have this problem. I've used the Stihl under the same conditions with absolutely no issues:so, I'll be using the Stihl until Shindaiwa corrects the problem with this cover.

I'll not be buying any more Shindaiwa, or Husky, for that matter. My T20 has had little use, but the weird plunger carb needs disassembled often for cleaning, and the fuel lines rot out quickly, and the gas tank just started leaking. It is a sturdy tool, but nowhere near as reliable as my old Echo, which has a TON of use and still goes very strong, no trouble. Husky trimmer, seems real cheap. I cant keep it running.

Wish I hadn't sold the Echo. OPE is great if it works. Sucks if it doesn't.

Latest posts

Back