split the case or just replace jug and pistin.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodcutter69

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I tore apart my 372xp to find out why it locked up, and found a severly scored piston. rings were froze on 1 side of piston. well any way i got it clear down to split the case. I want to clean it up but didnt know what to use to get the crap out of the crankcase. so should i go ahead and split it or just clean it back up and put it together. oh and what should i use to clean it?

I flush with kerosene and then oil crank and case bearings with whatever mix oil
that you use

i would suggest if the bearings and crank are all good i wouldnt split it! use compressed air and blow it out real good. i have found that clorox wipes work really good for cleaning up saws. oil the crank afterward. replace the jug and or the piston. should be back in business. good luck1

You split the case to do the bearings. That's about the only reason you would want to. So, are the bearings good or not?

Starter side bearing made mine lock up, for the money i would split them and put new ones in for a piece of mind, really suck if you put a new p|c on it and tear it up because a bearing went out when you just had it apart , what's $20 for that kind of reassurance ?, just my 2 cents

is there a way to tell if the bearings are bad. i assume there good because the piston looked really bad. thats where my problem was coming from.

If you have any up and down play in the crank there bad. Also spin the crank around by hand and make sure it's smooth all the way around.

Latest posts

Back