Spliting 50" Oak with the Mini Mill Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can8ianTimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I finally put the Walkerized 3120 to the test on a 50" white oak log. I used the Granberg mini mill and a 60" bar. Considering I split the first log free handed, this was pretty easy. I took almost 2 full tanks of gas to make it through the 11' length but the cut was amazingly consistant.

Sorry for the bad quallity pics but they are from a camera phone.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This last pic is of the first log that I split free handed. A little rougher
attachment.php

Last edited:
Very impressive cut. :clap: Is that full skip rip chain?

I see you left a little holding wood so you could finish the job from the ground. Wouldn't want to be straddling that monster when the she lets go! :jawdrop:

Very impressive cut. :clap: Is that full skip rip chain?

I see you left a little holding wood so you could finish the job from the ground. Wouldn't want to be straddling that monster when the she lets go! :jawdrop:

Yeah, not dieing was high on my priority list. I had the bar at an angle so that once I had the top of the bar a couple inches through the end of the log I removed the guides and finished the cut from the ground. I had only used the mini mill once about 4 years ago. I actually forgot that I had it untill I was half way through cutting the first log and I was thinking there has to be a better way than cutting free hand.

The log is kind of egg shaped and the cut I made was through the smallest part. I followed the center of the log based on the grain not the mass so that I could get the best quartersawn wood possible. That left me with one half substantially bigger than the other. That half has to be about 8,000 lbs b/c it picked the back end of the 8k forklift up!! So I have the potential of getting 36" wide quartersawn boards.

Impressive cut alright. :clap: That's one of the reasons I made my mill so tall (24") so it can split a 48" log in half if I need to but so far the deepest cut I have made is 10".

So I have the potential of getting 36" wide quartersawn boards.

I can't see how you can get 36" QS from a 50" diam log. The widest QS possible from a 50" log is 25" and given the middle couple of inches are heat wood and the outer couple of inches are sapwood it's probably closer to 20"?

I can't see how you can get 36" QS from a 50" diam log. The widest QS possible from a 50" log is 25" and given the middle couple of inches are heat wood and the outer couple of inches are sapwood it's probably closer to 20"?

It is egg shaped so the thickness that I cut through was 50" but the thinkness the other way is 60" at the small end. Also the center of the grain was not the center of the log.

Just b/c I am bored at work sometimes I drew this up in AutoCad. This is a rough idea of what the small end of the log looked like.

attachment.php

Nice log canman , eh I thought you said the pics were crap , they were pretty good , that last pic certainly puts the log size into perspective , shes a wopper , should be interesting to see some of the quartersawn timber , good job . Cheers MM

Last edited:
Nice log canman , eh I thougth you said the pics were crap , they were pretty good , that last pic certainly puts the log size into perspective , shes a wopper , should be interesting to see some of the quartersawn timber , good job . Cheers MM

I agree, "freaking awesome" to use an american colloquialism. :clap:

Re; 36" Ah ha - I get it, pretty neat trick.

Hey Bill, I was just looking at your bill mini mill WIP. That is awsome. So much better than the Granberg mini mill that I used. I think you may be inspiring me to do a little fab work of my own. Sounds like it was pretty cheap to put together.

The Granberg was OK but I kept worrying about having to much play in the jig.

Lumber Pictures

Well here are some pictures of the Oak fresh off the Woodmizer LT 70 (not my mill unfortunatly). There are some really nice wide quartersawn slabs. I am looking forward to making a bookmatched table out of a couple of those big slabs.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back