splitter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nathon,.that's a really nice piece of work there,..I like the thd/tjd engine choice,..I have several of those, How has it been preforming for you?

Nathon,.that's a really nice piece of work there,..I like the thd/tjd engine choice,..I have several of those, How has it been preforming for you?
its been good, it has about 30 cord through it and about 40 hours on it now, its going to need a set of points soon, as the ones in it are the ones it had when i bought it ( in pieces) before i rebuilt it. it starts right up though no matter what the temp is. i started it a couple weeks ago and it had been sitting since april, no problems, started right up.

im going to be changing the wedge on it, similar to a Timberwolf TW7, with bolt on wedges, ( box wedge, and a single with a slip on 4 way) also probably make just a flat plate to bolt on so i can use it as a press if i need to
i have all the material cut, i just need to find some time to machine the wedges/base plates and weld it up, maybe this winter?

It looks like you could crush a truck with that thing. Bring on the spaghetti elm! Haha
the first load of wood that i posted in the other tread was a 40 dbh white oak...3 trees that grew together...was a giant mess, lots of uglies as there was no real grain pattern in the main trunk...
i changed the wedge on the splitter, it has a single vertical, and a box wedge that bolts on...i started with the box wedge on that white oak...that lasted one split cycle and i had to change it:dumb2::wtf::dizzy::cry:

You should be ashamed to post pics of that ugly monster where everybody can see it. Why dont you bring it over to my house and I will hide it for you. I'll be sure to bury it behind a big pile of split wood so nobody will even know its here.:barbecue:

Here's a couple pics of the wedges... They "drop in" level with the top flange of the beam and bolt to a 1" plate with (8) 1" bolts from the under side,
the box wedge use to have 4 vertical wedges, but the splits were too small, so i cut it apart and made it with only 3...the box wedge is 18" wide...the single wedge is 14" tall...

Attachments

• IMAG00170.jpg
    IMAG00170.jpg
    609.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMAG00169.jpg
    IMAG00169.jpg
    883.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMAG00165.jpg
    IMAG00165.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 90
  • IMAG00164.jpg
    IMAG00164.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 95
  • IMAG00163.jpg
    IMAG00163.jpg
    717.3 KB · Views: 75
I love the Idea of that box wedge. I have a bunch of old snow plow blades..........................
it works good on clear straight grain wood like red oak, can do a cord in about 30-45 minutes by myself just pushing it into a pile.
if I'm loading the truck right off the splitter, it takes almost twice as long by my self, with 2 people it takes about 30 minutes...

with knotty wood it takes much longer as its always in low trying to shear the wood instead of splitting it, I just leave that wood for the end and swap back to the single wedge to finish it up.

Back