Splitter Hydraulics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NELOG

NELOG

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks for all of the posts. I have a question about the 28 GPM pump that Northern sells. According to their catalog, it has a 1-1/4" inlet and a 1" outlet. I looked at the Barnes Hldex website, though, and it says that this pump has a 1" inlet and 3/4" outlet. I emailed a guy on eBay who was selling one and he said that it has the Northern specs. Can you order different ports from the factory?

On a more practicle level, I want to use a valve with a 3/4" inlet. If the pump has a 1" outlet, where should I make the step-down to 3/4"? I'm thinking that I should run a 1" hose all the way to the valve and then just have a reducer coupling at the valve itself. There has been a lot of discussion about spped, in feet per second, of fluid in hydrualic lines. I think that this will reduce the speed of the oil, while maintaining the same flow, whereas reducing the hose to 3/4" at the pump would make the oil flow at a faster linear rate, at the same volume, making the oil hotter. Any suggestiosn would be appreciated. Thanks a lot

Jwoods

Jwoods

ArboristSite Operative
NELOG,

Different ports are available on most any hydraulic pump. What is available for that particular pump you have, I don't know. They could be any number of combinations. NPT, SAE Straight thread, etc.

The hose question is a good one. Your flow velocity for the 28 gpm is going to be between 15 and 20 ft/sec., depending on hose size, and ID. -In essence, you're splitting hairs, and it won't matter much what you choose. One thing to be aware of is 3/4 inch hose will be more readily available than 1 inch. It will also cost a little bit less. It should also be less money to put a bushing in the pump, than a reducer at the valve.

Later,

Joe

wradman

wradman

ArboristSite Operative
splitter

if you are going to weld your splitting edges you may want to try some work hardening rod it's expensive but impressive.
i have a miller 130
miller plasma cutter
honda 200 amp red d arc welder.

Latest posts