splitter hydraulics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
142TN

142TN

ArboristSite Lurker
I need help with hydraulics on a homemade splitter. I have seen on some threads that you can buy one cheaper than make one but I am a welder by trade with all of the steel,wheels,resovoir and I beam. But I do not know alot about the small parts of the hydraulic system. The splitter will have a 5HP moter with a 11 gmp pump and 3 1/2 x 20or 24 cylinder. I need to know what small parts besides that and hoses. any info would be very help thanks clint

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
Clint,

Check out the Northern Tool website or catalog:

http://www.northerntool.com/

They got their start selling parts for people making their own log splitters (their original name was Northern Hydraulics) and will probably have a lot of stuff that would be helpful for you, especially if you find some plans or take a close look at some existing models.

Philbert

SWI Don

SWI Don

ArboristSite Guru
I just posted this in another thread but this is the basic circuit you need for a log splitter.

http://www.princehyd.com/Portals/0/products/valves/LS3000InstS.pdf

Another source online is surplus center. They are reasonable on their hoses and fittings. I bought hoses through them for ~$20 ea that would have cost me upwards of $100 ea locally. I used all JIC hoses and adapters to try to minimize the leaks.

Good luck on your project.

Don

Last edited:
142TN

142TN

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks for the web sites that is what I did is the diagram. The wire strainer is the part that I was lost on. If you do not use the strainer but you use the return filter will that stiil work. I am just asking if it is needed. thanks clint

SWI Don

SWI Don

ArboristSite Guru
The strainer is there to catch any chunks that might be left in the tank or get introduced through the fill hole. It is not strictly necessary for operation if you get the tank flushed out well and are careful with your oil supply. It is just insurance.

Don

142TN

142TN

ArboristSite Lurker
thank for the info I found one that was short enough to fit my tank from northern tool for 13 bucks. I will post pics later. thanks for the help clint

Latest posts