Splitter ID and troubleshooting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

half_full

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I purchased this from a friend that "has the manual somewhere". But, I know he doesn't.
Any way to ID this so I can find any on-line manuals?
Excuse my lack of technical terms. I have no clue on the hydraulics process.
The issue: The 8hp Briggs runs well but the cylinder moves very slowly out, better back in. If I extend the ram, I can put pressure on the ram with my hand and slow it down. When trying to split, it will contact the log, very slowly build enough pressure to split but it's like it's compressing air in that it always "pops" the logs and the ram jumps ahead. Sometimes the pump will whine prior to popping the log. And, at full extension, the motor no longer bogs down/dies. It doesn't change RPS at all. I've tried several full cycles with no wood thinking it could be air in the system. No change.
Fluid was changed last year and level is correct. I have been using this for about three years without issue. This just happened last time I tried to use it. A week earlier it performed well.

I'm not afraid to disassemble any part. I just don't know what to look for. And for the pump, how would I go about replacing if I don't know what pump it is? Would this be a "common" mounting pattern that I could easily find?

025.JPG 026.JPG 027.JPG 028.JPG 030.JPG 032.JPG 033.JPG

Back