Splitter Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosoot

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of my "rehabbed" splitter. Had to resize the pics to get past AS restrictions. Hope they come through ok. Went from a 5HP Honda to an 8HP elect start Honda. Replaced an 11gpm Viking pump with a 16gpm Barnes pump. Added the pressure gauge and return filter. Gretaly improved cycle times. 5hp was stalling last year on knots. Found the pump was worn with small metal particles everywhere. Most likely causing the 2nd stage to not kick in. Works great now except as noted on another post it may refuse to split on a knot and go to pressure relief -gauge reads about 2000-2100 psi. When the piece is repositioned it pops right through it. Possible the ram has some internal wear and internal leakage. Maybe that will be this winter's project.

Nice pictures, the size was perfect. That sure is a nice splitter, glad you got to give it a little work out.... Thanks for sharing.

Looks good. Is that a galvanized or black pipe elbow on the pressure side of your control valve? I would replace that with a proper hydraulic fitting. Neither black or galvanized pipe is rated to 2000 psi.

Don.

NOSOOT I really like that large smooth triangular wedge. I also like the dimples on the end of the beam to keep the wood from poping out under pressure. How long a piece of wood will the splitter handle david

Very nice looking splitter, love the support wings! I'd like to know does it tow well?

Cheers

:)

Nice pics and nice splitter. Are you going to leave the pressure gauge there? Once you get it set up the way you want you might want to think about replacing it with a plug.

Some answers - Only time I towed it on the road was when I first bought it -just about killed my VW Diesel wagon I had at the time!!
I probably will remove the pressure gauge -the original setup just had the plug also but I wanted to see what I had done!!
Yes that is some black iron pipe and elbows. That also was on the original setup and I guess I will replace them with Hyd fittings. The suction elbow is already leaking at the valve thread anyway so I have more than one reason to tear it apart again.

Thanks for looking and for all the info!
yes wood chips on the ground under the splitter are good!!!

quote "I really like that large smooth triangular wedge. I also like the dimples on the end of the beam to keep the wood from poping out under pressure. How long a piece of wood will the splitter handle david"

The wedge design works great -it rarely gets stuck because it is such a wide angle.
The weld "nubs" on the upright provide excellent traction and "trademark" the pieces with the dimple pattern!!

the ram is 28 inches -I try to cut everything 16 inches but I think it would handle a little more than 24".

We split right in to tractor cart so there is a lot of tossing -since the wedge is on the ram everything stays on the table when its split.

Very nice looking splitter. You mentioned that an occasional knot can be a problem. That wedge is nice but may be a bit too aggressive. I like to think of wedges as 2 stage just like the pump. With a knife edge out in front it gives the cylinder a chance to get started in a ways before it flares out to finish the job.
Someone on here had a super nice wedge design made from plow edges with the vertical edge tapered forward. I tend to believe wedge design can make all the difference in how well a splitter works.

Holly Crap

Here are some pics of my "rehabbed" splitter. Had to resize the pics to get past AS restrictions. Hope they come through ok. Went from a 5HP Honda to an 8HP elect start Honda. Replaced an 11gpm Viking pump with a 16gpm Barnes pump. Added the pressure gauge and return filter. Gretaly improved cycle times. 5hp was stalling last year on knots. Found the pump was worn with small metal particles everywhere. Most likely causing the 2nd stage to not kick in. Works great now except as noted on another post it may refuse to split on a knot and go to pressure relief -gauge reads about 2000-2100 psi. When the piece is repositioned it pops right through it. Possible the ram has some internal wear and internal leakage. Maybe that will be this winter's project.

I thought I was the last living STIEGER GREEN FAN,....OK Ill be ok, just give me a miniute,.., nice, NICE LOOKIN SPLITTER THERE, Erc

press gauge?

Nice pics and nice splitter. Are you going to leave the pressure gauge there? Once you get it set up the way you want you might want to think about replacing it with a plug.

Willson Tell me why you would think keeping track of your pump/engine preformance is not worth while? I am always intrested in what the pump is doing and why the engine is draging,and what the psi in general is running,. You have a reason to not want to know??, Eric

Willson Tell me why you would think keeping track of your pump/engine preformance is not worth while? I am always intrested in what the pump is doing and why the engine is draging,and what the psi in general is running,. You have a reason to not want to know??, Eric

I just figured once you have it set up the way you want, it might be a good idea to take it off so it doesn't get broke. I could be wrong.

the pressure gauge in question became an issue tonight. The new valve is pretty stiff . The wife was running it and went to return the ram and her hand slipped off and whacked the gauge. No broken hand or gauge but made me realize maybe its not a good place for it.

The Steiger Green?? That was the color the builder used for all of his creations when i first got it . Its both disgusting and eye catching at the same time. I had Lowe's custom mix a quart to dress it back up.

:cheers: :cheers: Nice clean looking splitter nosoot. looks like you'll be able to split a lot of wood with that thing . I bet them wings come in handy to keep wood from falling down. What size cyl. is that and what kind of cycle times are you getting. Oh yeah I to would replace that blk. pipe elbow with a hyd. fitting just for safety. Good job and happy splitting.:givebeer: :givebeer:

Back