Splitter Plans !!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chugbug

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm thinking about building my own splitter , is there any good plans out there for a vertical - horizontal splitter thats set-up the right way like the better brands .

Do a search, there's some very nice very beefy homebuilt splitters. I was just looking at one but can't remember the builders name. it was very impressive he painted it blue, someone else will know. All I can say is budget big, and plan well.

unless you are building something custom, have all the material laying around free or jut want to build one you would be hard pressed to build one cheaper than purchaing one.

if so there are allot of nice ones on this site, i dont know of any "plans" myself but many can help out with requirements of pump/cylinder/engine/tank etc reccomendations.

I think I can come up with an engine and the -
I- beam . The valve and cylinder , hoses , wheels and maybe the tank I will have to buy unless you can use a air tank or something simple I might have laying around . I was thinking the plans would make things easier as far as the pivot point for going vertical and hitch etc. What would be really nice is to have a splitter to look at and get ideas. I was very disappointed in the 999.00 range units and was thinking I should be able to build one for less than that and have a better splitter in the end.

I- beam . The valve and cylinder , hoses , wheels and maybe the tank I will have to buy unless you can use a air tank or something simple I might have laying around . I was thinking the plans would make things easier as far as the pivot point for going vertical and hitch etc. What would be really nice is to have a splitter to look at and get ideas. I was very disappointed in the 999.00 range units and was thinking I should be able to build one for less than that and have a better splitter in the end.

I built my own splitter,I have just over $750 invested in mine.I basically had to purchased everything needed.luckily I happened upon some great deals when I was in the planning stages.
If you are just splitting for you own use you can probably buy one to meet your needs as cheap or cheaper than you can build it

If your looking at that range of splitter then just find a used one . If you build you will be into for more then that price because good parts don`t come cheap.

I bought an old used splitter for $300 and I have an extra $800 into it's still under par. Do your homeowrk and find out what your looking for,, then findout if you want to build or buy,..

Personally, I'd go with a log lift than a vertical splitter. Unless you you don't mind working on your knees. I thought I wanted a vertical splitter until I ran one for a few hours.

FWIW......

unless you are building something custom, have all the material laying around free or jut want to build one you would be hard pressed to build one cheaper than purchaing one.

well said.
im in the middle of a build and had a engine and beam and axle

have welders/plasma cutter and scrap steel laying around
spent so far
$100 welding supplys/ grinding wheels/ rods/ plasma tips
$135 for more steel
$100 used cylinder
still need
pump $325
pump mount $60
coupler $ 50
filter & housing 30
suction strainer 20
hoses ?
control valve $100
have about 25 hours in it and still have a ways to go
so add thatup and then price used ones
good luck

Pump 325.00 !!!!!!!! Are they that much ? Been looking for a good used splitter, there really hard to find !!! Then you find a good one and they want almost what a new one goes for.

Last edited:
I built my own last winter. Or maybe I should say I heavily reconfigured a Swisher 28ton splitter.

I was going to purchase everything from Northern for the build. But with just engine, pump, valves, and oil tank the money was over $1200. I had some fittings etc too on it.

So I seen a new Swisher on CL for $1250 and bought it. I reconfigured it to what I wanted. Like a Timber Devil commercial single vertical.. I love it!

Iowa , you wouldn't have a pic laying around would you , I'd like to see your splitter.

Back