splitter pusher plate question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i built a wood model of the slide when i began building my splitter. this gave ma an idea of what it would look like, what problems i might run into and the exact size of eveything i needed.

i read some where at this site that some one once recommended putting a slight inward angle (maybe 7 degrees) on your push plate and a slight angle on your wedge. kinda like this: /______\

that way, it forces the wood to remain secure between the two. theoretically, it sounds like a good idea, unfortunately i didn't do it...and i wish i did.

c22abb2d.jpg

I read about that also but after i had built mine. I take it i didn't miss out on much?

No photo to show, but here is a sketch of what I mean:
View attachment 213138

Sure you can mill the Red spacer block to an exact fit, but shims are easier, and can help accommodate some slight variation in the beam thickness. And brass slides easier on steel. The Supersplit uses brass as a wear plate also, for an example. Then by doing this you can torque the pusher foot bolts down all the way without worry about warp or anything.

BTW, more smaller bolts will be stronger than a few big ones, and will help even out the load a bit too. Within reason of course - I'm not talking about using #8 screws here...

Latest posts

Back