Splitter Safety Tips?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbxlr8

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi All,

Many thanks again to everyone for the advice and info that I have gained from AS over the last 4 years that I have been on here burning full time. I really do enjoy hand splitting from an exercise and satisfaction standpoint, but my job and travel schedule has kicked my butt over the last 6 months and shows no signs of letting up next year (read this as: I am way behind and standing dead ash are my "get out of jail free" card)

SO, I finally bit and got my first splitter Thanksgiving week - a TSC Countyline/Speeco 22T unit with the Kohler. Not wild about the Kohler, but I am thinking it will be a good compromise & just right for me after quickly feeding a couple of cords of standing 24" dead ash for now & 30" red oak that were sitting around (yea, yea, I know this is not a real test!).

I ended up using it vertically to not lift the rounds and got pretty efficient very quickly after a couple of tanks. I had NO close calls and common sense says keep your hands off the top & out of the path (I know - duh! as my kids would say). However, as I got towards the end of each session I had this nagging feeling that I was getting a bit too comfortable with it, if that makes sense??

I don't remember seeing anything on splitter safety like I have on felling, chainsaws etc. so I did a search and did not come up with much. I read about some experienced folks occasionally squashing a finger, mod's to make tables, all sort about engines, 4 way wedges and the pros/con of different brands, pro level equipment etc.

I wanted to throw the question out there:

Any specific tips and tricks from your experience running a this size/style splitter from the group?

Thanks again.

If you get into wood that isn't straight grained, or weird like crotches and dog legs, be prepared for it to split stupid, at an angle, some big chunk come out the side, etc. I've seen some pretty weird stuff doing big sweetgums for example with the power splitter. boom! Stuff goes sideways, etc.

Besides that, like operating any other big power equipment, there's no do overs! And if you start getting overly tired, that's it, done. Find yourself "resting" your hands wrong on the log, don't do that. Stop right then, go do something else. I especially follow that with chainsaws. first hint of sloppiness I shut it off and set it down.

Thanks all - I definitely subscribe to the "DON"T DO THAT" and the "no beer while using HD power equipment" rules. Also, good advice on the tiredness, smalls & weird stuff going sideways.

I use also use full PPE incl chaps w/chainsaws now and have only scared myself a time or two (more than enough) when in brush doing stuff that I definitely shouldn't have been doing with a 24" bar.

I just wanted to make sure that I am not missing anything being a "newbie" on the splitter - Am loving it!

There was a post here a few months ago about a round that stuck on the wedge of the splitter. When the ram retracted, the round shot off the wedge at high-speed and smashed the guys finger as I recall.

Not something I would have expected.

Also, watch for hydraulic leaks from your hoses. Never check by feeling with your hand - you could end up with an injection or amputation injury. Check with a piece of cardboard, or something similar.

Philbert

I especially follow that with chainsaws. first hint of sloppiness I shut it off and set it down.
12j.jpg
uk3.jpg

Hmmmmm.....
Of all the activities, chores and whatnot associated with firewood, using a hydraulic splitter has to one of, if not the safest (relatively speaking). I mean... heck... I can't count how many times I've pinched a finger just stacking firewood. Yeah, if you're using a horizontal/vertical convertible in horizontal mode I reckon there's the chance of catchin' one in the nutz, or one fallin' on your foot... but a horizontal with wedge on the beam virtually eliminates those risks.

Pretty much just keep your fingers off the log ends, especially when the cylinder rod is moving out (shrug)
Oh, and don't set your beer on any part of the splitter when it's running... vibration will likely dump it on the ground (although that's not a total loss, the dog usually laps it up).
Oh... and one more thing... the muffler gets hot.

There was a post here a few months ago about a round that stuck on the wedge of the splitter. When the ram retracted, the round shot off the wedge at high-speed and smashed the guys finger as I recall.

Not something I would have expected.

Also, watch for hydraulic leaks from your hoses. Never check by feeling with your hand - you could end up with an injection or amputation injury. Check with a piece of cardboard, or something similar.

Philbert
Yeah that was me. Broke my finger. And smashed it good. I was talking to a guy at my local small engine dealer and the same thing happened to him. It happened to his pinky and split it open good , took 18 stitches to fix it. If one gets stuck keep your hands back!

I split with help a lot. The lever operator has one rule - nothing moves till all hands are visible and not in the way. Log handlers - hands on the side of the log only, not the end. I break this rule (a lot) splitting by myself, but I have one hand on the log, sliding it back for the next split (wedge on beam machine), and the other on the lever. If there's an oops - I know EXACTLY who's fault it is. If there's more than one person, see rule #1.

Really, the biggest tip is to stretch a little before you start. I'd bet 10:1 that back injuries are way more common than smashed, sliced, etc extremities.

Vertical splitters are a gimmick in my book, more work doing everything stooped over at ground level than getting a log onto the beam. Y'all can keep em, and I got no advice on how to run one, other than there's suckers on CL looking for one all the time.

When splitting a piece that has a crotch, split what you can of the straight grain first. Then work on the crotch. Beware of blowup. If you suspect something may not come out right, then either back the ram off and split a different way, or take your chances and step back a couple paces.

Smashed fingers is common using it as table mount .as you have to toss the log up on the cradle.
Some pieces snap or explode, and can hit you. Stay away from log in craddle when splitting

The best tip is always wear gloves . You may think that is silly but many fingers have been spared by the use of them ! They will allow you to save your hand in a bad pinch before it's too late and keep from smacking rounds off your fingers too

That is why I split vertical, no lifting. No time to drink beer while splitting. I guess I don't mind "stooped over" rounds are on ground and throw splits in wagon or on steel pallet.

I have had a few go flying, worst both pieces flew about 4' in the air about 6' away.

Latest posts

Back