Splitter shed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

just a dave

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
attachment.php

attachment.php

We changed the decking on my cousin's 12'X15' deck a few days ago, He was gonna cut up the old boards and throw it away so I brought it home with me. Some of the wood was crap but I was able to salvage enough to build it. My wife's cap for her ranger has been sitting in the back yard for years just holdin up the canoe. I just got news that my electric splitter will be arriving Monday afternoon and I don't have a shed to store it,so I spent the day playing carpenter (not bad for a sheetmetal mechanic even if I do say so myself). I still gotta paint it, and level the ground it sits upon, at least the splitter will be out of the rain and some what hidden.

Cool. Not bad for a sheetmetal guy gone carpenter. That must be a small splitter you have coming to fit under a ranger topper. So where is the poor canoe now?

Looks good , nice way to recycle material. It shows that you like to keep your equipment out of the weather which will make them last longer.

Beefie

So where is the poor canoe now?

Don't worry tex, just as soon as I'm done painting and placeing it farther back in the yard, I'll put the canoe back on the rack... I might take it fishin first, seams only fair being that I disturbed it's rest and all. Yeah....that's what I'll do.......I'll go fishin! ><))>

Home Sweet Home

attachment.php

Never used a splitter before and well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I broke it!
attachment.php

That is, I broke it in today:)
attachment.php

attachment.php

Ouch. Check the warranty! I did the same thing on my 35 ton Speeco, and they replaced it. Great service!

I like your shed. I was thinking about doing something similar for my "chunk bin". I get a lot of odd-sized rounds, and so I wind up with a lot of oddball chunks of wood. I toss them in a bin made of pallets, and I've toyed with using my truck cap to make a roof for it.

Looks good! :cheers:

Thanks ridge, yeah that cap has been sitting around for years, just had to be sure it was high enough. Getting the old wood from my cousins deck was perfect timing and the right price-free. I am in contact with ramsplitter and were working it out. i split a cord today, man it got windy. I'm set up in the midst of several tall trees, small branches flyin to the ground everywhere. I went and got my hardhat.

Great job on the shed, Great way to recycle wood too..lol....Sorry to here you broke your splitter on it's first day, hope they make it right...:cheers:

looks good!!! Don't worry the first day i had my 28ton Speeco the briggs and straton shelled on it, took it right back and exchanged it.:givebeer:

I see that splitter is an electric, what size motor is on that, with what size pump?:cheers:

1.5 HP Motors draws 15 AMPS at 110 VAC and 7.5 Amps at 220 VAC
16 tons of ram force
2 stage 11 GPM Pump for a quicker 8 - 10 second cycle time
4 Gallon hydraulic capacity, tank goes drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip

my frankensplitter was a ramsplitter when i bought it new. over the years ive chopped it up pretty good and improved it a substantial amount. doug is ok to deal with at ramsplitter. my cheap ass honda seized almost immiediatly. it ran under a minute before it locked up solid. they paid for the shipping both ways for the motor. the 2nd motor was fine never had a problem with that one. there were a couple other things i didnt like about it and he kinda brushed me off. so like any self reliant hillbilly i took care of it myself.

is it me or does that toe plate look abnormally long?

my new splitter

It's been a little frustrating, When I put the wheels on the shaft the cotter pin holes didn't show, I tried each of them on both axles hoping to see them, no luck. Ratts!!! Ok, I'm a licensed sheetmetal mechanic with 28 years experience, I've got the tools and the know how to use them, plus it would cost quite a bit to send it back. I pop off the bearings and grind off about 3/16ths" from the tubing, replace the bearings and put the wheels on. Hurray! I can see the cotter pin holes, I go back to the box, no cotter pins, are you kidding me? I look around, nope they didn't fall out here, must have happened during shipping. I checked the shed, none in stock. Ratts!!! off to the hardware store.
Ok, the wheels are installed, the oil went in fine, now I'm splittin and I can't believe how easy it is, man this thing is awesome, I never used one before but read every article I could find on how to use it, Hey, I had to do something while I waited 3 weeks, must mean I got a fresh one. anyway, I hear a big grown from the splitter and take a look and the plate is bent. Ratts!!! I can't believe I broke it already. Just about then it started to rain so I put the splitter in the shed. I'm guessing you shouldn't use an electric splitter in the rain.
I noticed a little oil on the ground where I was splittin, I figured I must have spilled it when I filled the tank. The next morning I pull it out of the shed and there is about half a half pint of oil on the in the ground. Great! I tighten the 2" coupling and add a little oil and split a half cord with a drip pan underneath the coupling. Next morning the same thing, I fill the tank till it's an inch from the top and as I'm splitting I'm watching the tank dripping away thinking "I spent a lot of money on this". :confused:
So now I gotta drain the tank, remove the nipple and re tape it, straiten and beef up the plate( Don't forget grind and paint, that ought to take a few minuets). I'm just disappointed. This thing is brand new out of the box and I have to go buy parts? I should be spending my time working the splitter, not working on the splitter.
Whatever. :bang: I wrote pretty much the same thing to Hamsplitter yesterday and am still waiting a reply. I don't want to slam the Hamsplitter, once all this petty stuff is done I'm sure it will work just fine... After all, I did give it a nice house,,,maybe if I paint the shed the splitter will treat me better. :laugh:

D:censored:nm man sounds like you need to send that whole thig back. You might have gotton one of those late friday made ones. Nothing out of the box should have that many problems. I hope they just let you swap out the whole unit, I know I'de be pissed......:mad:

New paint

Found a gallon of paint that was in my crawl space since the day we moved in 11 years ago, took it down to the local hardware and had em make it as dark brown as possible. Well,,,the paint kinda looks like a milk shake.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Just gotta finish the back door, maybe now I'll have better luck with the splitter, seein how I painted it's house and all.

Back