Splitter Wedge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try it one way, and if it doesn't work, go to the other. Heck its only a little quality time with a grinder.

Then maybe you can confirm or deny the conclusions that I came up with.

I'm not real sure about the weldability of A2 or air hardening steel.

You get to fooling around with A2 ,O2 ,4140 etc you might bite off more than you can chew .Hard is one thing but brittle is another.

If you want a tough wedge,for one reason or another,get a piece of
" yoalloy".,which is 5 percent chrome.I used a chunk of this stuff,actually a piece of 30 " pipe to make a dozer blade.Just cutting it with a torch made the edge hard enough to wear out a grinding wheel in short order.

I've seen wedges made of every thing from mild steel cut with a torch to mangenese back hoe teeth stacked .The teeth didn't work any better than the mild steel.What ever floats your boat,have at it.

The last wedge I built for guy here at work we used a D2 leading edge and 1018 main body. D2 is made for cutting A2 is more for forming and doesn't hold an edge all that great.... M2 aslo should do a nice job.

When (or if!) he ever needs to sharpen it he can take it out and I can machine grind it.

Any considerations of using tool steel are only worthy if heat treating is in your plans, soft A2, D2...etc offer no real gain over 1018 mild steel.

Jeff

Back