splitter with a 28 gpm pump with a 4" bore and 2" rod anybody?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustyw

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I bought this splitter project because it was a good deal. I only plan on putting it together the right way and then selling it. I got a 28 gpm pump 4" bore 24" stroke cylinder, 18 hp motor, 8' beam 1/2" thick( i think) push plate, couple of wedges, 35 gallon hydraulic tank full of oil, valve and hoses. Everything but the engine was brand new with less than 10 hours on it. I am going to put it together the right way and sell it, but what does everybody think about a 28 gpm pump with a 4" cylinder? Will this be too fast to be pratical? Anybody run this combination?

Too fast? You are asking the fine folks on here? :hmm3grin2orange:

I think you need to make it faster!

I say with the pump and engine combo you already have I would upgrade cylinder to a 5 inch or bigger. The combo you have will be fast but may not have enough to run a four way wedge etc. Just my .02 Post some pics when you get a chance.

So I bought this splitter project because it was a good deal. I only plan on putting it together the right way and then selling it. I got a 28 gpm pump 4" bore 24" stroke cylinder, 18 hp motor, 8' beam 1/2" thick( i think) push plate, couple of wedges, 35 gallon hydraulic tank full of oil, valve and hoses. Everything but the engine was brand new with less than 10 hours on it. I am going to put it together the right way and sell it, but what does everybody think about a 28 gpm pump with a 4" cylinder? Will this be too fast to be pratical? Anybody run this combination?
I run one with same but my engine is a 29 hp diesel it is not fast but it moves. When I get into into a hard knot it will bend my I beam but it snaps back.

Don't make it too fast or the buyer might loose a hand. I would stick with the 28 myself. It will be plenty fast and should split most anything.

From Baum hydraulics, a 28GPM pushing 4x24x2 is 4.9sec cycle time. Keep those hands clear.

Brian

Remember these are not real world numbers, assuming only a no load situation this will be the cycle time but you need to account for all the hydraulic restrictions and when the splitter pump has to kick it into low gear to put out some grunt, but it should be fast none the less I run a 4" cylinder with a 11gpm pump and seems to keep us plenty busy!

it will be quick

I just punched a buncha numbers, and came up with 2.77 seconds on extend. Retract will be faster.
I probably would not put just anybody on such a machine. The production would me impressive!! :rock:

Thanks for all the replies. This is not the combo of parts i would of picked, but when i get time i will do some tweaking to the machine and share some pics. Right now, i am to busy cutting and splitting firewood. Maybe a summer project.

I think it will be ideal...you'll be able to run the engine at 2500rpm or so...and still get very fast cycling times...and in the event your splitting crotches you can bump the throttle up to 3500rpm or so and rip thru them.The sustained noise levels and thrashing sounds of an air cooled small engine are MUCH lower when running under 3000 rpm as opposed to Max governed speeds.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I run a 28Gpm pump on a 4in cylinder with a 2in rod. It is not scarry fast at all. The person that will spend the extra money to buy a nice custom made splitter will enjoy the extra speed of the larger pump. Good luck with the project. Post some pictures as the build happens.

Latest posts

Back