Splitters hydrolic vs kinetic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg_weaver

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Looking to get a new log splitter this year. I burn about 30 face cord of wood a year. I have a hydraulic 35 ton husky that I'm replacing the engine on this coming weekend but I'm thinking about either modifying it or buying a kinetic splitter. I split a lot of tops and Hardwoods big big pieces like 30 knotty and I didn't know which type of splitter would be better does anybody have any in put?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Looking to get a new log splitter this year. I burn about 30 face cord of wood a year. I have a hydraulic 35 ton husky that I'm replacing the engine on this coming weekend but I'm thinking about either modifying it or buying a kinetic splitter. I split a lot of tops and Hardwoods big big pieces like 30 knotty and I didn't know which type of splitter would be better does anybody have any in put?

I just bought a Woodmaxx kinetic 34 ton; works very well; I opted for the Honda engine; started on the first pull!! I split about 20 cords per year; previously had a Northstar 30 ton; this one much faster. Very pleased so far

How does it do with large pieces? What about knotty stuff?

I ran a supersplit for a few years, they like straight wood, and you can really get some volume out with a crew of 3 or 4.
For knots and twisted stuff you have to listen to the motor and disengage as soon as the motor starts to bog.
Tough wood takes a few shots, and often a reposition.
After a while you will learn what your machine can blow through, and what to whittle around the edges

I haven't had any large pieces yet ; the knotty ones so far have split well; no terrible knotty pieces yet; hope to update after more experience with this new machine. I also ordered the wheelbase extenders and added Dexter hubs and roadworthy tires as I need to haul it across town to split. That has worked well so far. We also had to weld on a longer spindle to use those hubs.

I've had a Super Split for 7 years and love it. Split 15-20 cords of Oak a year, mostly tops after logging...
If all I was was splitting was big ol' gnarly knots, I might want Hydro.
But no way in hell I'd go back to hydro after using a SS kinetic!

When I hear kinetic I think of the old farm tractor addon. You know the one where they jack one rear wheel and mount a wedge on the old steel wheel. Always wanted one of those to add to the "death machine" theme of outdated equipment here. Truely a Darwin inspired device.

I Just watched the DR Pro XL video, looked interesting, but they didn't say, but it appears that Kinetics are Horizontal splitting only?

We cut and split too much large wood to use a horizontal only splitter, that would be a deal breaker for us. I Would rather lose a little TIME, rather than my BACK.

For some silly reason that I don't understand, my Wife prefers to run the splitter vertically even for a lot of smaller stuff that I would drop the he beam to horizontal for.

My Wife really Enjoys running the splitter while I am bucking more rounds for her, so what the heck, I'll set the machine up however, where ever she wants it.

She even wants her OWN Chainsaw, I'm thinking a Husky 445/16" would be a Great saw for her. I Think that I just might Keep her.

Doug

I Just watched the DR Pro XL video, looked interesting, but they didn't say, but it appears that Kinetics are Horizontal splitting only?

We cut and split too much large wood to use a horizontal only splitter, that would be a deal breaker for us. I Would rather lose a little TIME, rather than my BACK.

For some silly reason that I don't understand, my Wife prefers to run the splitter vertically even for a lot of smaller stuff that I would drop the he beam to horizontal for.

My Wife really Enjoys running the splitter while I am bucking more rounds for her, so what the heck, I'll set the machine up however, where ever she wants it.

She even wants her OWN Chainsaw, I'm thinking a Husky 445/16" would be a Great saw for her. I Think that I just might Keep her.

Doug
She is a keeper!

The DR is not the one to look at. The Super Split is the original and the one the others have copied,
but they just can't get it right.

You're right kinetics are horizontal only. What I like the most is the table on the Super Split, as I can work all the wood without ever bending over.

I feed the splitter from the truck, trailer, or tractor bucket, not off the ground.. I have a bad back and this set up as helped me a Lot! No way I could work a splitter in the vertical position with wood on the ground.

She is a keeper!

The DR is not the one to look at. The Super Split is the original and the one the others have copied,
but they just can't get it right.

You're right kinetics are horizontal only. What I like the most is the table on the Super Split, as I can work all the wood without ever bending over.

I feed the splitter from the truck, trailer, or tractor bucket, not off the ground.. I have a bad back and this set up as helped me a Lot! No way I could work a splitter in the vertical position with wood on the ground.

Sunfish, she is definitely a Keeper, she also likes Fishing, Shooting, Boating and Camping :)

I Don't understand why she prefers vertical splitting for almost everything, but I Know better than to question it ;)

We usually split at the cutting site in the woods, and load it split, a LOT less mess at home that way, which being in a neighborhood, not on property, We prefer to leave the bark and debris in the woods.

Our trailer has a fairly low deck and ramp gate, so it wouldn't be convenient to split from the trailer. The Speed of a Kinetic would be nice, but we do need the vertical option, even if I could convince her we "NEED" a second splitter(that probably wouldn't be too hard, she says "chainsaws are USEFUL, and More are Fine :surprised3:) I couldn't give up the space in the Big trailer for a second splitter. We piggy back the splitter in the 6x12, and can get about a cord and a half (Full Cords, not Face Cords) in the trailer with the splitter, which cutting, splitting, Barking and loading makes for a full day usually.
I have 6' sides on the trailer and could probably get 2 cords in with the splitter, if I decked over the splitter, but it isn't too often we cut/split/load that much each day.

Doug

Latest posts

Back