Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0203131500.jpg Steve this pic is from a couple years ago, I had two yellow handles. They split ok for there price, but the russian splitter kept breaking handles. Fiskars........so far so good. And I just can't warm up to the yellow handle, except, yeah Id rather take a yellow to my buddies farm with me than my Fiskars. Ive had to quarter the rounds with the Fiskars just to pic them up and put them in the truck.

View attachment 389004 Steve this pic is from a couple years ago, I had two yellow handles. They split ok for there price, but the russian splitter kept breaking handles. Fiskars........so far so good. And I just can't warm up to the yellow handle, except, yeah Id rather take a yellow to my buddies farm with me than my Fiskars. Ive had to quarter the rounds with the Fiskars just to pic them up and put them in the truck.

That yellow handle warms my wrists, forearms, and elbows up for a few days after usage.

Be proud of the Fiskars if it works for you.

I would have zero problems bailing out into the midst of a hand splitting challenge with my Buck Tooth heathen among excellent metallurgy and fine craftsmanship tools that can passed down among generations. Bring it.

That yellow handle warms my wrists, forearms, and elbows up for a few days after usage.

I would have zero problems bailing out into the midst of a hand splitting challenge with my Buck Tooth heathen among excellent metallurgy and fine craftsmanship tools that can passed down among generations. Bring it.
The purists would turn around and slump away with their tails between their legs once they saw the manly pieces you split. I mean crap, some of those are as long as the Fiskars!

The purists would turn around and slump away with their tails between their legs once they saw the manly pieces you split. I mean crap, some of those are as long as the Fiskars!

None of those pictures have any movie magic added to them. Like I have always said, 3-4 whacks and no hint of a workable crack, it gets noodled. You win some, you lose some.

Well Santa finally delivered my council tools maul and I had a chance to try it out this afternoon while some of my kids were napping and others making tiny cakes in an easy bake oven.

Before I even had a chance to "benp" (you're practically famous now Ben! lol) mine I came up with a cheesy collar that proved effective enough through at least two good over strikes:
image.jpg
No need to glue as the 1.5" PVC fit snug enough at the neck it never moved. In fact I'm not sure i could get it off easily. Ugly but cheap and effective thus far!

I dremeled the edge a little sharper and started hacking away on some soggy ash vs. the true temper 8 lb maul:
image.jpg
I won't give any final verdict as I only split 30 minutes but I did notice a few things. It's certainly easier to swing so that may be nice on longer outings. But it seamed to hang up more than the true temper so that may even out. Need some more seat time to be sure. I have an x27 still in route(I drank the kool aid!) that I'll give a go too when it arrives. Hey, at least they're cheaper than saws right?

Here's a little Fiskars love for everyone on this fine day. Please pardon the I-Potatoe footage.

First up is a White Oak quarter. Yes...quarter.
6828297B-FD5A-4845-ABA8-D6858E5B220B_zpsqukohoex.jpg

71.6 lbs.
4EE12670-EB54-4D5D-97BD-7D57AC8A2D49_zpss1scokcj.jpg

Next up a Paper Birch I cut today. I got a little, oh, long on the first cut.
871DF304-28C6-4008-98DB-1532663927FA_zpsw0plc0vv.jpg

114.2 lbs for this piece.

6A7F5B69-A65D-4CC3-A86F-5D9583747945_zpsymts2xmg.jpg

That piece is the first one I go after here. The second was the next piece in line and the last was a random Paper Birch.

Gosh it took me a while to read to the end of this thread. I just started using firewood midway through last winter in my diy owb and I cut 30"+ pieces. I use a true temper 6# maul that has never been sharpened and by the time I split 3 weeks worth of white oak I feel like my back might seize up. Reading this post has taught me several things, one that most people split tiny pieces of wood, and two that splitting wood can be made a lot easier. Tomorrow I am going to sharpen it and shine it up as well as put a new fiberglass handle in it after I broke the last one (ran over it with the bulldozer). I am interested to see how much it will help to have a sharp maul.

Gosh it took me a while to read to the end of this thread. I just started using firewood midway through last winter in my diy owb and I cut 30"+ pieces. I use a true temper 6# maul that has never been sharpened and by the time I split 3 weeks worth of white oak I feel like my back might seize up. Reading this post has taught me several things, one that most people split tiny pieces of wood, and two that splitting wood can be made a lot easier. Tomorrow I am going to sharpen it and shine it up as well as put a new fiberglass handle in it after I broke the last one (ran over it with the bulldozer). I am interested to see how much it will help to have a sharp maul.

Key word being......most.....not all.

Good on you for showing your maul some attention...it will return the appreciation.

Here's a little Fiskars love for everyone on this fine day. Please pardon the I-Potatoe footage.

71.6 lbs.

That piece is the first one I go after here. The second was the next piece in line and the last was a random Paper Birch.

Ha, good ones! You swing hard and have some hard ground there!

Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

I thoroughly enjoy the aimless wandering bit. You pretty much have no clue where you wake up if you do.

What's your point?

Let me guess...the superior metallurgy of heritage tools versus the evil something something dark side Fiskars.

:laugh::laugh:
I thoroughly enjoy the aimless wandering bit. You pretty much have no clue where you wake up if you do.

What's your point?

Let me guess...the superior metallurgy of heritage tools versus the evil something something dark side Fiskars.
I'm guessing you haven't seen O Brother, Where Art Thou. You need to watch that ASAP.

Personally, I enjoy using traditionally styled woodworking and cutting tools. I like plastic on my tools as much as I like it on my firearms. Oddly enough, some of my most reliable guns are, in fact, polymer. I also split all of my firewood with a generic, fiberglass handled 3 1/2lb michigan axe.

Also wanted to add that I had no point whatsoever.

:laugh::laugh:
I'm guessing you haven't seen O Brother, Where Art Thou. You need to watch that ASAP.

Personally, I enjoy using traditionally styled woodworking and cutting tools. I like plastic on my tools as much as I like it on my firearms. Oddly enough, some of my most reliable guns are, in fact, polymer. I also split all of my firewood with a generic, fiberglass handled 3 1/2lb michigan axe.

Also wanted to add that I had no point whatsoever.

Lol - Gotcha. I'll have to dig that movie out this weekend.

6828297B-FD5A-4845-ABA8-D6858E5B220B_zpsqukohoex.jpg

71.6 lbs.
4EE12670-EB54-4D5D-97BD-7D57AC8A2D49_zpss1scokcj.jpg

871DF304-28C6-4008-98DB-1532663927FA_zpsw0plc0vv.jpg

6A7F5B69-A65D-4CC3-A86F-5D9583747945_zpsymts2xmg.jpg

Making it look easy!

Back