Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, my new Fiskars X7 hatchet is King of the Kindling Pile right now. Just split a couple boxes worth of kindling with it and I think it is a great tool. No deflecting, no awkward handle not alot of stress on my body. Its exactly what I was looking for.

The thought of it still makes me uncomfortable, owning a plastic hatchet and all that. But this thing is wicked and that "Finlad" mark is kind of cool.

The test runs were slabs of old growth Ponderosa Pine that were whacked down to a small kindling size. I felt like I had good control and with a swift swing it really delivered on some of the uglier pieces.

Cheers

Those are some beastly swings, benp. I guess I have some muscles that I need to get strengthened up, because I can never seem to generate that kind of power/head speed from that type of swing. I usually wind-mill it, and rarely hit the same spot twice. Of course that means many more swings to get the same result. Cool vid's.

Making it look easy!

I had some Tamarack yesterday that worked me pretty good. That handle got a healthy pry bar useage work out.

Those are some beastly swings, benp. I guess I have some muscles that I need to get strengthened up, because I can never seem to generate that kind of power/head speed from that type of swing. I usually wind-mill it, and rarely hit the same spot twice. Of course that means many more swings to get the same result. Cool vid's.

Don't feel bad about not hitting the same spot. You are not the only one....trust me.
:laughing::cheers:

After watching Benp's video I realised I've been doing it wrong LOL
I did find this video while surfing Utube .
10 minutes long but the older chap sure gets it done all by hand from felling to splitting with an X25.

Interesting to see what he does with the birch that he doesn't split .

After watching Benp's video I realised I've been doing it wrong LOL
I did find this video while surfing Utube .
10 minutes long but the older chap sure gets it done all by hand from felling to splitting with an X25.

Interesting to see what he does with the birch that he doesn't split .

Great video Dan!!!!! Thanks for posting that.

Reminded me of my Grandpa the way he did everything by hand.

Great video Dan!!!!! Thanks for posting that.

Reminded me of my Grandpa the way he did everything by hand.

That's more or less how I did all my personal early firewood, bow saw and an axe. I didn't score the logs with a drawknife though, although I see now that is a good idea, especially on birch.

I didn't cut that long either, just 16s mostly, like I do now.

I appreciate my chainsaws ;)

That old timer was getting it done! I had a chance to split small trailer load of pin oak from my Dads recently logged woods and I was surprised how well it split with both mauls.
image.jpg
Pin oak is knotty and can be stringy too. I thought I would have to split most of it with the hydro but it popped nicely for the most part. Maybe it's because it was the tops but I like to think it was because now I have sharp edges on my mauls! :)
After today I have a clear cut winner in the council tool 6 lb vs. my older 8 lb true temper:

The old tried and true (temper) just popped the bigger rounds better! I think for smaller rounds(12" and under) the council might work better. It still splits well. It just got hung up more than the 8 lb TT. I'm hoping the x27 impresses me more though.

28-30" Pin oak and an X27... sure I used a wedge to split it in half after cracking the edges, but for the weight, I"ll take the X27 over any 6-8lb sledge or maul until you get into the really bad stuff. if you swing it like a maul or large sledge, it won't work well. There is a technique to using the X27 on bigger non straight stuff. I hated the X27 at first after using a 16lb monster maul for years...

A584E397-4774-4134-888C-F4D85F7CAB76-2205-0000043B0FC1F50F.jpg

9768904D-27BE-46C6-9D7A-BEEEFB57CCF4-2205-0000043AF1A73C8D.jpg

354D09FB-1AF7-4D59-97D2-CBA0DDC3A8D9-946-000002DAF9FE1CF7.jpg

0113AF68-0132-4D01-A476-AAFEBAF5A27A-946-000002DAF3794D4C.jpg

My firewood buddy and I split everything by hand. We started with generic axes and mauls. Then after reading rave reviews on here I purchased a fiskars a few years back. It was a game changer. But my buddy didn't like the short handle. But when they introduced the x27 he couldn't get one fast enough. If we get into gnarly stuff that the fiskars won't handle we simply noodle it in half and go back to the fiskars. We have been working this way together for about 6-7yrs. It makes things simple and easy. Neither of us have a desire to purchase a hydro at this point in life. We rarely have a need for my old 8lb maul however it rides along every trip because 2 is one and one is none.

P.s. mad props to the old timers cutting by hand also. But I love my saws......

My firewood buddy and I split everything by hand. We started with generic axes and mauls. Then after reading rave reviews on here I purchased a fiskars a few years back. It was a game changer. But my buddy didn't like the short handle. But when they introduced the x27 he couldn't get one fast enough. If we get into gnarly stuff that the fiskars won't handle we simply noodle it in half and go back to the fiskars. We have been working this way together for about 6-7yrs. It makes things simple and easy. Neither of us have a desire to purchase a hydro at this point in life. We rarely have a need for my old 8lb maul however it rides along every trip because 2 is one and one is none.

P.s. mad props to the old timers cutting by hand also. But I love my saws......

I always have split by hand. I bought the X25 for 20 bucks when TSC was clearanceing them out. It worked extremely well, but was too short. I don't use a splitting block. I cut a tree up, stand up the rounds and go to town. I do not like handling wood more times than I already have too. once the 27 came out I bought it and gave the 25 to my brother... he then like me, bought all of the fiskars. lol. For the money, you can't beat their performance and their warranty. I've split wood for 5 years with mine and done some things I shouldn't have and no issues yet. I do like nice traditional axes, and I'm redoing a 5lb GB large splitting axe right now, but for the majority of what I cut and split, the X27 gets the nod. Old pic when I still had the 25.

If you split on a block, the X25 (or husqvarna S2800) would be good. If you are above 5'7" then the 27 would be better on the ground. I found that I was coming way to close to my shins and ankles with the 25.

40CE831A-095D-4169-BD39-D49A4718FE55-378-000003EFF93BB0B5.jpg

I always have split by hand. I bought the X25 for 20 bucks when TSC was clearanceing them out. It worked extremely well, but was too short. I don't use a splitting block. I cut a tree up, stand up the rounds and go to town. I do not like handling wood more times than I already have too. once the 27 came out I bought it and gave the 25 to my brother... he then like me, bought all of the fiskars. lol. For the money, you can't beat their performance and their warranty. I've split wood for 5 years with mine and done some things I shouldn't have and no issues yet. I do like nice traditional axes, and I'm redoing a 5lb GB large splitting axe right now, but for the majority of what I cut and split, the X27 gets the nod. Old pic when I still had the 25.

If you split on a block, the X25 (or husqvarna S2800) would be good. If you are above 5'7" then the 27 would be better on the ground. I found that I was coming way to close to my shins and ankles with the 25.

40CE831A-095D-4169-BD39-D49A4718FE55-378-000003EFF93BB0B5.jpg
I guess I'm an oddity. I stand 6' an d have never had a problem with the length.

I guess I'm an oddity. I stand 6' an d have never had a problem with the length.

I still liked and used the X25, but more than once the edge came in contact with my boot.. I want to try the husqvarna S2800 so bad because its a larger head than the X25/X27, but that short handle makes me very leary. If they made it with a 30-36" handle I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

28-30" Pin oak and an X27... sure I used a wedge to split it in half after cracking the edges, but for the weight, I"ll take the X27 over any 6-8lb sledge or maul until you get into the really bad stuff. if you swing it like a maul or large sledge, it won't work well. There is a technique to using the X27 on bigger non straight stuff. I hated the X27 at first after using a 16lb monster maul for years...

A584E397-4774-4134-888C-F4D85F7CAB76-2205-0000043B0FC1F50F.jpg

9768904D-27BE-46C6-9D7A-BEEEFB57CCF4-2205-0000043AF1A73C8D.jpg

354D09FB-1AF7-4D59-97D2-CBA0DDC3A8D9-946-000002DAF9FE1CF7.jpg

0113AF68-0132-4D01-A476-AAFEBAF5A27A-946-000002DAF3794D4C.jpg

That is awesome!!!!

How did you go about splitting that big round?

Perpendicular around the edges first, then circular around the ends of the first whacks, then rinse/repeat to the middle?

That's really impressive.

That is awesome!!!!

How did you go about splitting that big round?

Perpendicular around the edges first, then circular around the ends of the first whacks, then rinse/repeat to the middle?

That's really impressive.

couple home run strikes try for giggles... had a crack started in the center and drove a wedge partially for some added pressure. ... clockwise around the edges, then perpendicular around the edge splits and worked my way inward.

I've said it before, the X25/27 is awesome and will split most wood with ease, IF you figure out how to use it. Swing it with a maul or sledge swing will not work most times in anything larger than 16" diameter splits. Its the speed and effectiveness of a proper technique and bending of the knees and breaking the wrists right at impact. This is also why I was coming close to my shins and ankles with the X25 as it exploded through the rounds. its very hard to explain but when I got the X25, I hated it after all the rave here years ago... it wasn't until I watched a video with some guy saying you had to have the right technique and I jut chuckled like I didn't know how to swing an axe... well, after working on my technique, i got the longer 27 and use it for all of my splitting. Its actually less effort for a normal swing and the right technique than just a pick it up and smash it as hard as you can technique.

Confession to make.

I finally found my 8# maul head. Although its pretty well used I could still read the sticker that said.....Collins.

Guess I'm in the traditional tool snob club LOL.

Put a new handle on it tonight, sharpened it up, and resplit (on the ground) a couple pieces from my stack of red oak. Surprisingly the stuff was at 35% in July and is now at 22%. A couple of weeks in the furnace room for a final dry and we'll be ready for the cold snap!

The maul swings nice but moving 8 pounds just feels so slow.
image.jpg

Confession to make.

I finally found my 8# maul head. Although its pretty well used I could still read the sticker that said.....Collins.

Guess I'm in the traditional tool snob club LOL.

Put a new handle on it tonight, sharpened it up, and resplit (on the ground) a couple pieces from my stack of red oak. Surprisingly the stuff was at 35% in July and is now at 22%. A couple of weeks in the furnace room for a final dry and we'll be ready for the cold snap!

The maul swings nice but moving 8 pounds just feels so slow.

Well, swinging an AOS is good to keep a muscle balance, fast twitch and slow twitch is what they call it, for skeletal muscle.

Well, swinging an AOS is good to keep a muscle balance, fast twitch and slow twitch is what they call it, for skeletal muscle.
AOS? Haven't heard that one.

I thought I was doing good with the Fiskars until I saw the destruction @benp delivered. Looks like I've got some more training to do.

I've now got a good 3.5 lb True Temper splitting axe, Fiskars X27, 6 lb True Temper, and 8 lb Collins. I'd say I'm pretty well covered.

Other users have shown that there really isn't anything new under the sun in the 6lb arena worth pursuing.

Still would like to get my hands on that new plastic Husky for a trial run though.

AOS? Haven't heard that one.

I thought I was doing good with the Fiskars until I saw the destruction @benp delivered. Looks like I've got some more training to do.

I've now got a good 3.5 lb True Temper splitting axe, Fiskars X27, 6 lb True Temper, and 8 lb Collins. I'd say I'm pretty well covered.

Other users have shown that there really isn't anything new under the sun in the 6lb arena worth pursuing.

Still would like to get my hands on that new plastic Husky for a trial run though.

Anvil On a Stick, old style regular heavy maul.

Back