Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in the Fleet store today and moseyed over to the splitting tool section.

Truper Mauls.

I tell you what. For the price, $23 or so, those are not half bad.

I went through 10 6 pounders and 10 8 pounders.

All had good even grinds and decent grains in the handle with little to no heartwood.

I would of taken pictures but the other guy in the aisle was already looking at me like "where is your adult supervision" as I was rifling through them.

I was in the Fleet store today and moseyed over to the splitting tool section.

Truper Mauls.

I tell you what. For the price, $23 or so, those are not half bad.

I went through 10 6 pounders and 10 8 pounders.

All had good even grinds and decent grains in the handle with little to no heartwood.

I would of taken pictures but the other guy in the aisle was already looking at me like "where is your adult supervision" as I was rifling through them.

Mine is ten years old now, got it when we moved in and I had to switch to mass quantities splitting. I still use it quite a bit, whenever I am splitting on the ground and no chopping block. Yes, a good deal for the money. I can't swing it as long as I can a fiskars, but it gets the job done.

Attachments

• IMG_20150912_190724.jpg
    IMG_20150912_190724.jpg
    822.3 KB · Views: 46
I decided to pull the trigger on the reduced priced Wilton BASH maul from Bailey's and chose the 6lb version. Called to see if we could tack it on to my previous order but it was already packed so they offered the ship it for free. That's good customer service if you ask me.

Also I picked up an all black Fiskars Chopping axe (x15 clone) from my local Ace the other day. FWIW it doesn't seem slippery at all with the molded handle but I have hockey tape on hand if it does.

Cant wait to get into the woods this fall to try out the new toys!

Over the last 9 or so cords split by Fiskars Super Splitter, I've built up a pile of 'bout 1/2 cord of uglies that either defied Fiskarization or I knew better than to try.

Not all of them look like they require noodling though...

So this fellow followed me home today -- the Stihl Pro Splitting Maul (which best I can figure out is the same head as a PA-80, but substitutes a hickory handle with steel collar in place of the lower-cost ash handle of the PA-80).

Two of the three pieces I pulled off the uglies pile responded positively. One continued to mock me. Was just a quick test since I was still dressed for work, but looks like it will reduce the amount of needed noodling appreciably.

I will be wrapping the top the handle / collar with hockey stick tape before I use it anymore..."overstrike" is a common event with me, especially with infrequently used tools.

It also stuck pretty hard a couple times. I might give the head a polishing with some fine, wet sandpaper to see if it helps it slip out easier.

The first piece shows previous resistance to the Fiskars:
IMG_2914.JPG

IMG_2916.JPG

IMG_2918.JPG

This one I just sized up and said it wasn't worth trying with the Fiskars. Maybe if it was 10 degrees out I would've tried it, but I don't feel like waiting. :D
IMG_2919.JPG

Nice tools. Looks like you have some time on that Fiskars by the way the orange paint is rubbed off on the handle! Is that the original Super Split?
Doesn't look like it has the flare on the end of the handle that the x 25/27 has.

I decided to pull the trigger on the reduced priced Wilton BASH maul from Bailey's and chose the 6lb version. Called to see if we could tack it on to my previous order but it was already packed so they offered the ship it for free. That's good customer service if you ask me.

Also I picked up an all black Fiskars Chopping axe (x15 clone) from my local Ace the other day. FWIW it doesn't seem slippery at all with the molded handle but I have hockey tape on hand if it does.

Cant wait to get into the woods this fall to try out the new toys!

Did you get the Wilton yet?

I checked out the Bash mauls at Acme Tools the other day.

The reviews that said they had to PUT an edge on it were no joke. The couple 6's and 8's I checked out had NO edge. I mean round. Yes rounded off.

Although it was an extremely quality round off job. Very uniform roundedness on all of them.

LOL - It almost looks intentional. Just kind of a head scratcher.

Did you get the Wilton yet?

I checked out the Bash mauls at Acme Tools the other day.

The reviews that said they had to PUT an edge on it were no joke. The couple 6's and 8's I checked out had NO edge. I mean round. Yes rounded off.

Although it was an extremely quality round off job. Very uniform roundedness on all of them.

LOL - It almost looks intentional. Just kind of a head scratcher.
I accidentally put the wrong zip code on the order and UPS shipped it to a different terminal before realizing the city and zip didn't match up. It should be here tomorrow.

I liked the shape of the Bash head so if I have to do a little grinding that's OK by me. Someone mentioned that tools are sometimes sold with a dull edge so folks don't cut themselves then sue the MFG.

Sorry but I still can't help chuckling about the anger you caused a certain member when you reworked that Council maul LOL.

I accidentally put the wrong zip code on the order and UPS shipped it to a different terminal before realizing the city and zip didn't match up. It should be here tomorrow.

I liked the shape of the Bash head so if I have to do a little grinding that's OK by me. Someone mentioned that tools are sometimes sold with a dull edge so folks don't cut themselves then sue the MFG.

Sorry but I still can't help chuckling about the anger you caused a certain member when you reworked that Council maul LOL.

It will be quite a bit of grinding. I am talking about an 1/8" of roundedness you have to put an edge on.

I hope yours winds up being the Friday/Monday one and someone said "We are puttin and edge on THIS!!!"

It will be quite a bit of grinding. I am talking about an 1/8" of roundedness you have to put an edge on.

I hope yours winds up being the Friday/Monday one and someone said "We are puttin and edge on THIS!!!"
I'll let you know. My buddy had one of those red fiberglass handled 8# mauls that had an edge that was basically round. Good luck splitting hard maple with that one. I turned it into a usable tool although I personally think 8 lbs is too heavy to get a fast swing.

I'll let you know. My buddy had one of those red fiberglass handled 8# mauls that had an edge that was basically round. Good luck splitting hard maple with that one. I turned it into a usable tool although I personally think 8 lbs is too heavy to get a fast swing.

No, I mean IS rounded off. And it's a very good uniform round off job. The round off job on the Wilton Bash Maul is waaaaaay better than the Council Mauls effort for an edge.

If you are looking to off yourself by going to wrists...the Wilton is not the tool.

I tried drawing blood on myself at the store somehow with those edges on the Wilton. Um NO. Not happening.

The guy at the desk was stink eyeing me for doing that and I wasn't about to take pcitures of the edges.

Ready for action once again.

Before:
image.jpg

After
image.jpg

Had to do a little extra work to get that Jersey pattern set.

Remember these two axes I re-hung for a friend last winter? Well the putz managed to break both of them in a single splitting session. Thats ok though as he's a good friend and we help each other out whenever we can. I'll put new handles on both the next time I get out his way. I may try ironworker's rope wrapping trick to help save the handles from over strikes.

Back