Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol!

Seems the "Fiskars sux" crowd has gone noticeably silent around here these days. Their ringleader hasn't been heard from in months.

Lol!

Seems the "Fiskars sux" crowd has gone noticeably silent around here these days. Their ringleader hasn't been heard from in months.

Well..I don't care, don't like it when long time members disappear.

No way in heck we'll all agree on everything, or all cut as much as others. I mean, sometimes I feel silly, I have cut so seldom the last 3/4 of a year.

Tried the original LeverAxe briefly today at the Dodgegeeks GTG. It split the wood, but I don't see any real advantage to it over other tools.

One good thing, is that they color coordinate with the Fiskars.

Philbert

View attachment 436405

Were you getting a good spin on the handle once it hit? Pretty precise timing needed there.

For the next portion of my travels I'm renting a cabin in the Adirondacks from a friend of a friend. I located an old broken axe that I'm going to rehang for the owner to use.

With no drills at my disposal I figured I would use the method that a few folks on here recommended and burn the eye out. Put it in a bed of coals last night with the cutting edge away from the center.

image.jpg image.jpg

The wood inside the eye burned a little bit around the edges but was still solid.
image.jpg

Heading to Home Depot for a new handle this afternoon.

This is why Ben doesn't have nice stuff. At least I recognize that....lol

I felt a thunk through the handle, went no sh!t, and laughed.

This happens to me all the time and this is what broke the handle on the Council maul.

When I pulled the Fiskars out, the piece of red oak that the handle was resting on was pushed down on the corner.

This is why Ben doesn't have nice stuff. At least I recognize that....lol

I felt a thunk through the handle, went no sh!t, and laughed.

This happens to me all the time and this is what broke the handle on the Council maul.

When I pulled the Fiskars out, the piece of red oak that the handle was resting on was pushed down on the corner.
You need one of those 30 lb mauls that one kid here had. What happen to that guy anyway?

Sales on wood tools are always on my radar.
I still use my trusted and true Black Knight axe for most splitting axe work and the old Stanley maul for harder hits and to knock big cracks into larger rounds that I sometimes need to wedge in halves or quarters in order to get them started.
For the next portion of my travels I'm renting a cabin in the Adirondacks from a friend of a friend. I located an old broken axe that I'm going to rehang for the owner to use.

With no drills at my disposal I figured I would use the method that a few folks on here recommended and burn the eye out. Put it in a bed of coals last night with the cutting edge away from the center.

View attachment 437988 View attachment 437989

The wood inside the eye burned a little bit around the edges but was still solid.
View attachment 437990

Heading to Home Depot for a new handle this afternoon.
Your a good man to do that for him.
Adirondacks are just across the lake from me, more or less.

Back