Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks

here are the stihl codes they might help someone
2pytl4y.jpg

c5e9g.jpg

and here from the stihl german site

2j3fe2s.jpg

here is the axe and the stihl hammer side by side . its not pretty but works well, i never bothered to dress it. the finish is not smooth its not high quality work but the steel is good and is cheaper. turns out the measurements are almost identical!. same lenght and same width probably thats why i cant see any difference in the performance. but one important fact is that the axe is 4kg (8.8pounds) that should make a difference after a few swings you shouldt get as tired using the hammer.

w0kjko.jpg

2zhp5zd.jpg

the other axe is not mine, its lighter and thinner very old and very smooth. i use my axe as you would use a maul but i dont swing time after time like a maniac, if things are not happening i get the wedge and sledge out.

I never did get any photos up did i? I'll try again. I've not done much splitting over the winter but what i have has confirmed my early opinion. I liked that my stihl pro maul has more oomph than the fiskars, but it isn't magical, is still a maul, and at 8lbs its hard work. I use it to break big rounds but reach for the x27 as soon as things get a bit smaller.

I promised photos
33466639796_bc63b18d55_h.jpg

b*****, stuck! but then even the fiskars stuck every swing in that ash.

33507171265_56fdd1bb99_c.jpg

as you can see, its the same length as the fiskars, maybe an inch shorter

33466047546_62f2ed1ca8_h.jpg

the hickory handle is quite fat, fatter than the fiskars, but even my small to medium hands still grip it fine.

33507199835_cc6719c7d0_c.jpg

a very firmly attached head which has a very similar wedge angle to the fiskars. its clearly marked '3.5' which i assume is kilos. 3.5Kg is 7.7lbs. This is the big boy, the stihl pro splitting maul, or i think it is....its got the guard on the handle and its the right heavy weight, so i assume it is, but then i got it via ebay so can't be sure. product code for you

33466041696_f2985dfc40_c.jpg

which according to the info posted above by conarco13a, its the 3.8Kg, 90cm hickory handled cleaving hammer. tbh i thought, and still do think, the cleaving hammer is just the european name for the maul, its the same tool.

Oh i forgot to mention my hookeroon-ish

visible again here,
33378948651_3076befed7_h.jpg

hookeroons are not a common tool in the UK and the only one i could find is the fiskars wood Xpert, at £47 that was too much to try out a tool. So after seeing some youtube video where a guy used a tiny looking pick axe i googled....its a mortar pick, designed to rake mortar from brick work before repointing. picked one up for about £10. I sharpened the point a little and it works great. handle could do with being a bit longer, its only about 14" but that's long enough to reach a split and pick it with just a slight stoop (I'm 5'11"), much better than reaching right down with both hands! a real back saver, picks up the above splits well, although I learnt, with oak spike the bark, its easier to get a firm pick.

thanks

here are the stihl codes they might help someone
2pytl4y.jpg

c5e9g.jpg

and here from the stihl german site

2j3fe2s.jpg

here is the axe and the stihl hammer side by side . its not pretty but works well, i never bothered to dress it. the finish is not smooth its not high quality work but the steel is good and is cheaper. turns out the measurements are almost identical!. same lenght and same width probably thats why i cant see any difference in the performance. but one important fact is that the axe is 4kg (8.8pounds) that should make a difference after a few swings you shouldt get as tired using the hammer.

w0kjko.jpg

2zhp5zd.jpg

the other axe is not mine, its lighter and thinner very old and very smooth. i use my axe as you would use a maul but i dont swing time after time like a maniac, if things are not happening i get the wedge and sledge out.
Really like the design of your Maul! Very similar to my old 7lb Stanleys I like! Secret is in the A design and sharpness! Like mine razor sharp!
Been splitting wood since I was a kid with a Boy Scout hatchet! Know what works! Have a very long back and soft head! LOL Makes for a natural born wood splitting combination!

Walmart has these 8# mauls for $13. My uncle is newer to wood burning and doesn't have a maul to bust up big rounds before he puts them on the splitter. So I bought this to give to him. I had planned to find an old head to rehang for him but this was too good of a deal to pass up.

The head has a nice shape so once I put a real edge on it, it should serve him well.

The only issue is the price. 13 bucks even. Is that unlucky?

IMG_7453.JPG

There's a couple threads going regarding mauls and in particular the Fiskars Isocore. Being this is the main splitting thread I'll put my review here.

Put in a couple hours with the Isocore this morning and really liked how it performed. For hard to split stuff it certainly worked much better than the X27 or any traditional maul I've ever used and I'd say it's marginally better than the S2800 in the tough stuff.

With that being said it is an 8lb maul and comes with the drawbacks of having to swing a big heavy head. I'm pretty tired and since I have neck troubles I've got a pretty stiff neck which has developed into a headache after dozens of full power swings.

Shock/slap transmitted through the handle is minimal except when hitting a tough piece.

Overall it does work very well and well worth the $ in my opinion.
I got the isocore to go along with the x27 about a month ago. I agree with what svk says. The isocore is good for tough stuff but after splitting 4 cords of red oak I find myself with the x27 in hand more often than not. Also just got the counsel tool pickaroon. It's a back saver. Wish I would have gotten one years ago.

Got a chance to try out a Gransfors splitting maul today. (IIRC they have a 5 1/2 lb head.)

Quite impressed. They do a great job splitting and really have a smooth feel. The 32" handle feels just about right.

The one thing I noticed is it pretty much does the same job regardless of how hard you swing it versus the "new" splitting tools such as Fiskars or Husky S2800 which need a fast swing to be effective.

Splitting side by side with the S2800, I'd have to say the performance was very similar. It was tough to get a read on which one might have the edge as we were splitting knotty white ash and the consistency varied quite a bit between the rounds because one might split in two hits and the next one took 6 or 8.

If you can foot the bill for one of these (now about $200) they are a great tool.

Walmart has these 8# mauls for $13. My uncle is newer to wood burning and doesn't have a maul to bust up big rounds before he puts them on the splitter. So I bought this to give to him. I had planned to find an old head to rehang for him but this was too good of a deal to pass up.

The head has a nice shape so once I put a real edge on it, it should serve him well.

The only issue is the price. 13 bucks even. Is that unlucky?

View attachment 567604
Grind that edge down and go over with a good quality file! Get it so it will penetrate and then seperate!!
I have 8#s but they take their toll! Prefer 7#s!

Tried out the 13 dollar Ames maul from Walmart back to back with the Isocore.

With an actual sharp edge I applied it works pretty well. Not as good as the isocore but good considering.

IMG_7801.JPG IMG_7803.JPG

This is my first splitting tool review. I read the first 20 pages or so and the last couple pages. This review is based on my limited experience and low budget. I got a nice Fiskars X25 for Xmas. I think my wife paid around 40 bucks for it online. It came with a nice sheath/handle. It is very sharp from the factory and has a nice feel and finish. I like how it's lightweight and just needs speed to split a round. It does it's job well and can handle an over strike. I have had about a dozen over strikes with the fiskars that rattled my hands but no real damage to the handle. I borrowed my brothers Collins axe that was dull from box store purchase and tested it against the fiskars. First test was half rotted pine...both split first swing. Then came the rounds of applewood I cut last year. Collins axe took more swings and got stuck often. Fiskars axe was really awesome and proved to be better at this point. My overall opinion so far is instead of paying $20 for the Collins axe pay $40 for the Fiskars. The only advantage I can think of is the Collins axe can hit a wedge felling a tree or hit a splitting wedge.

Attachments

• IMG_0581.JPG
    IMG_0581.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 87
[QUOTE="Homelitexl903, post: 6261332,The only advantage I can think of is the Collins axe can hit a wedge felling a tree or hit a splitting wedge.[/QUOTE]
I saw an ax handle under my shed the other day and climbed under and pulled it out. Then I saw why I tossed it under. I never use big mauls or sledges since I got my wood splitter, so I didn't have one down at the wood pile. I didn't have a saw at the pile either, and wanted to bust a big round in pieces I could lift onto the splitter. I saw an old wedge, and to save time getting the saw, I drove it in with a 4# Collins and cracked the head in half. I'll get a pic after i get a couple cups of coffee in my blood stream, Joe.

I think this was a Collins True Temper, I thought one bought the other out. It was red. One whack too many on something hard.

You can't see well from this side, but the head is not mushroomed at all. I seldom use an ax to drive something, but, sometimes I get too lazy to walk up my steep back yard to the shed. Especially if it's getting late in the day and I'm, tired, Joe.

Does anyone know if this is a Fiskars hatchet with a different name on it? I've seen some Gerber tools that are Fiskars and just wondering if anyone knew. Hatchet review coming tomorrow on my day off.

Attachments

• IMG_0589.JPG
    IMG_0589.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 49
Back