Splitting Locust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gblass1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A couple months ago I cut up some 16-18" locust. I split some of the bigger rounds and stacked the rest until I got around to splitting it. Went out today to finish splitting it and after sitting for two months and wow it turned in to sum ugly stuff. When I first cut it I was supprised at how easy it split almost like splitting ash. I guess the moral of the story is split it when its first cut.

BTW I'm splitting with an X27 so I guess this won't apply to you hydro guys

Black locust, or honey locust? It does make a difference.

Ken

Sounds like the black locust I have here, but I throw chips with a sharp chain. When splitting after it lays for a while it is almost like it gets stringier. Worth the work though!

I never figured that out. When I cut it with a fresh sharpen on the chain its just dust no chips. The wood is light with a green tint to it.

If you can't figure it out, then it's probably black locust. Black locust only has quarter inch thorns on the branches. Honey locust is very noticeable with it's 2" to 6" thorns all over, including the trunk.

Both are good fire wood but black locust is better.

Ken

You just need the proper tool....

Mauls004.jpg

A couple months ago I cut up some 16-18" locust. I split some of the bigger rounds and stacked the rest until I got around to splitting it. Went out today to finish splitting it and after sitting for two months and wow it turned in to sum ugly stuff. When I first cut it I was supprised at how easy it split almost like splitting ash. I guess the moral of the story is split it when its first cut.

BTW I'm splitting with an X27 so I guess this won't apply to you hydro guys

Usually black locust doesn't change a whole lot from right after it's cut. Sometimes the bigger rounds actually split easier than smaller stuff, because you can chip slabs off. The smaller branches and trunks tend to be more gnarly. It's just a hard and mostly stringy type of wood.

Almost all the locust I cut is standing dead or down and has been sitting there for literally decades. When you find them out in the woods they are usually tall and thin, not the wide spreading types you'll see in yards or on fence-lines. It's a great wood to look for when you're low on supply because the standing dead ones will need very little seasoning time to be ready to burn since they've usually been standing for many years. I see as many dead ones as live trees in the mountains here.

Usually black locust doesn't change a whole lot from right after it's cut. Sometimes the bigger rounds actually split easier than smaller stuff, because you can chip slabs off. The smaller branches and trunks tend to be more gnarly. It's just a hard and mostly stringy type of wood.

Almost all the locust I cut is standing dead or down and has been sitting there for literally decades. When you find them out in the woods they are usually tall and thin, not the wide spreading types you'll see in yards or on fence-lines. It's a great wood to look for when you're low on supply because the standing dead ones will need very little seasoning time to be ready to burn since they've usually been standing for many years. I see as many dead ones as live trees in the mountains here.

I find the B Locust easy to split either green or dry. Even splits crotches apart fairly easily. Strings? Can't say that I see any of that except on knotty chunks.

Harry K

Great stuff. Don't know why it's tough to split. No bragging but i split it one handed even after it's been sitting in the side yard for over a year. Really great hot burning wood with little ash.

What is your log lenth? Cut off some on the weathered ends and try splitting it. It will split so much easier on a fresh cut. If I know I won't be splitting with in the week I will cut the logs in 32" pieces and when I split cut them down to 16" and split on the fresh cut side. Try it both ways and let me know how it works for you.

I cut them 24" which is probably part of the reason they are harder to split.

I was splitting 24"+ last week with no problems. Try the fresh cut thing and report back.

Back