Splitting mauls?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawinredneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It seems I am in need of a maul, the log splitters have gone away:) and I don't care to buy/build one right now.
Since I am cuting solo I am not bringing in heavy loads like before (2 plus cords, down to 1 1/2-2 or less) of Oak and splitting it by hand.
My double bit axe isn't working out so well as I am older!
I looked at the lever axe, not impressed with the reviews I have read and I think Oak might do it in.
I saw the Granasee (sp?) and many don't like the hollow grind of the bit and said it can get bound up.
I used one of the old orange "Block" or "Monster mauls" before. But on a dried chunck of Oak, they bounce off!
I sem to recall seeing a maul with piece that pivots out as the axe goes in causeing the wood to split. But I can't find it now, and have no idea if it even works.
Or am I wasting my time looking for an easier soulution that doesn't exsist and should just go to Lowes and buy a cheap maul?
I don't like splitting wedges at all, so please no suggestions on them.

Go to a flea market or something of the sort. Buy an OLD or older 6lb with the big handle opening (not round handle). Best you can do IMO. I don't like the way the new ones are shaped, and they look cheap. There are lots of "solutions" to splitting wood by hand, but its tried and true. Some like an 8lb better though. Some like fiberglass handles opposed to wood. I like hickory handles. but you gotta have wedges though, cause there is some stuff you just can't bust reasonably IMO.

but you gotta have wedges though, cause there is some stuff you just can't bust reasonably IMO.

Thanks for the tips!!! But as for this, I have a chainsaw, and I am not afraid of making "noodles":greenchainsaw:
If I couldn't get it split in three tries with the hyd. splitter, it got sliced with the saw. If I can't hit it five times, same outcome! I can split it with the saw faster than you can on the splitter by then:greenchainsaw:

Thanks for the tips!!! But as for this, I have a chainsaw, and I am not afraid of making "noodles":greenchainsaw:
If I couldn't get it split in three tries with the hyd. splitter, it got sliced with the saw. If I can't hit it five times, same outcome! I can split it with the saw faster than you can on the splitter by then:greenchainsaw:

I have never done that, so i didn't think of it. I have been guilty of leaving a stick or two.....

My firewood is for me, or the pa in law, and it is cut on family land. So i always get back to it.

I have to agree with the others. Either get an "old fashioned" maul with the oblong shaft (like an axe handle) or get a fiberglass handle. I prefer 8# for a little more oomph in the oak. Also good to have is a 13# monster maul and two or more wedges. The maul has been perfected, the only upgrade is a hydraulic spitter. You do what I do, if it won't split after a handful of blows rip it with the chainsaw.
Dok

I know I'm new here but I have been learning a lot in the past month or so.I too was in the need for a new maul so I went to Lowes and got the 8 pound maul. I had some big 30 inch + maple to bust so I went at it. The maul is to wide across the face. I seems to bounce more then any thing. So than I got a Fiskars super splitting axe. Wow it does a great job and is lite. I can swing it all day. I also went ahead and got a helko Vario-2000 2300G Heavy Splitting Axe. I thought the longer handle might be a plus. I split a cord of red and white oak today I started with the helko but quickly traded to the Fiskars for the rest of the day..

I highly recommend the Fiskars super splitting axe to anyone. Well worth the money just a few dollars more then a axe at Lowes.

Good luck...

I know I'm new here but I have been learning a lot in the past month or so.I too was in the need for a new maul so I went to Lowes and got the 8 pound maul. I had some big 30 inch + maple to bust so I went at it. The maul is to wide across the face. I seems to bounce more then any thing. So than I got a Fiskars super splitting axe. Wow it does a great job and is lite. I can swing it all day. I also went ahead and got a helko Vario-2000 2300G Heavy Splitting Axe. I thought the longer handle might be a plus. I split a cord of red and white oak today I started with the helko but quickly traded to the Fiskars for the rest of the day..

I highly recommend the Fiskars super splitting axe to anyone. Well worth the money just a few dollars more then a axe at Lowes.

Good luck...

I just read another members review about that. He hadgreat things to say as well.
Did you get that at Lowes?
And me being 6'1" do you think the handle length would be a problem?
I ask because it's been a LONG time since I've hand split anything!!

I sem to recall seeing a maul with piece that pivots out as the axe goes in causeing the wood to split. But I can't find it now, and have no idea if it even works.

Here's a link to what I believe you're referring to...

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=147592-302-1190700&lpage=none

I bought one at Wally World for $27 based on a friends recommendation last year. So far, I have split 9 full cords with it to sell. The thing works amazing well, almost unbelievable for only weighing 4lbs. I have a lot of experience using a standard fiberglass handle 8lb maul, and I also have a 16lb "block" wedge monster maul (I don't like using that one either). I like this one a lot better. It is so light it doesn't wear you out after a few hours. I've been really happy with mine so far.

You might also want to check out the Fiskars maul. I have a Fiskars chopping axe that works awesome. I looked at that maul and I have heard really good things about them. I didn't go with it b/c the handle seemed way too short for me.

I'm 6 foot 2 and it takes a little higher round to split on. I have mine set on a slight hill so I can walk around it to get the right height. You get use to it real fast I think it took to rounds to get it right..

I got mine here http://cgi.ebay.com/FISKARS-SUPER-SPLITTING-AXE-28-78546984-NEW-7164692_W0QQitemZ230285517722QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230285517722&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A4|65%3A12|39%3A2|240%3A1318

I could not find a better deal..

Good luck..

I have both , and they work great , next on my list is a HELKO

misc179.jpg

axe.jpg

12_pbg

I am liking the looks of the Ames handle and length.
I think the choper is a bit over priced for no more testimonials than I am hearing.
I am likeing the Helko I must say, nice ergonomic handle, and it's LONG!!!
Even my axe is a bit short for me.

Went to Lowes tonight, picked up the 8# maul, no thanks!! Too much weight for that much wood!
I liked the weight of the Ames a lot, interesting desgin. I tried swinging it in the store, I know it's not the same, but the handle didn't seem all that comfortable/controlable to me. Anyone else noticed that or is it just me?
They had the Fiskars sharpener, but not the maul:cry:

Whatever you do Andy, buy quality. Some of those cheap Chinese pieces don't have hardened faces and if you hit a wedge with them you're asking for trouble. My maul is about 15 years old and I always hit wedges with it. Hasn't left so much as a mark.

I agree with the previous poster about buying an older one at a flea market as long as you can verify it's American iron.

I have two old 8# axe-eye mauls. Both are more than 20 years old. They last forever with no sign of butt-end mushroom from the years of banging wedges. I do dress the splitting end with a file once in a while. I also have two old "Plumb" brand wedges that still don't have enough mushroom to bother with grinding. I tried one of those "wood grenade" style wedges a few years ago and broke it very quickly on live oak.

"No soldier left behind"!!! At least not when I have a buck to make:hmm3grin2orange:

That's my MO. If my saw touched it, it's fate is in the firebox. Though some of the crotchety pieces have shortened many a hickory handle. (The benefit of hickory is that when it's done serving you, it too can get tossed in the firebox)

As for me, I split about 8-9 cords this year exclusively with an 8lb maul. Everything from red oak, to some weirdly stubborn beech, to black birch, and a variety of maples and pines. Only had to noodle a few stump rounds of rock maple that sent the maulhead flying back like there was a spring attached.

My present maul was a $5 yard sale special. The only drawback was it had no edge what so ever. Looked like the precious owner used it to bust up rocks. Nothing 5 minutes with a flat file couldn't fix.

http://www.stihlusa.com/handtools/PA80-Splitting-Maul.html

It is very hard to justify the price, but I love my Stihl PA80 Splitting Maul.
I quit using my 4lb hardware store ax and 8lb hardware store maul.
The PA80 splits the tough rounds that the hardware store maul bounces off of. If it gets stuck, it is very easy to remove from the round, unlike the ax.
It is sharp enough to split small stuff very easily.

Another vote for the Fiskars "Super" Splitter. I got mine after reading about how happy some of the folks on here were with theirs and - after I got used to swinging the ridiculously short handle (I'm just 6') - it's been great. You definitely have to use a taller splitting log with it and I too perched mine on a mild incline so that I could adjust the height by standing in different places. Add a tire to the top of your stump, if you don't already, to hold the logs upright and to catch any wayward swings.

Latest posts

Back