Spring starts in 16 days

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrappieKeith

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well folks,winter is almost over.
Yet we still have 2 months of heating up here in Mn .
Our lakes still have 30" of ice.
Anyone primed for the thaw?

I'm hoping it starts today. The outlook is good, high 30's today, 45 and rain tomorrow, and high 30's the rest of the week. You know, the type of weather we actually love and hate. We love the warm up but hate the fact we need to burn good firewood to take down the chill in the house. After all, we've had a tough winter this year up north and can justify burning wood in the coldest months. But with temps like this I cringe to see smoke coming from the chimney.

I'm ready for it. Our daily high for this time of year is supposed to be 52 degrees. That ain't been happenin' too much lately. It is supposed to get in the mid fifties today and keep going up until it gets in the high 60's Sunday. Wowee! Some local warming at last.

We've had 2 big,quick thaws already this season...standing water in the basement twice :bang:

I'm past being ready for spring.

They are predicting low 70's for the end of the week, and it cant come fast enough for me.
Yeah, I know.Three months from now we all will be griping about the heat!

Wind looks calm today...gonna quit work a bit early and take down to swamp maples near my house (one of them is the last tree big enough and close enough to my house for me to worry if it breaks in a storm...and the one next to it already lost it's top in a T-storm so I don't trust them).

If I don't get 'em bucked and out of there before the frost leaves the ground, which looks like it will this weekend, it's June before I can get a pickup truck into that part of the yard to clean up.

I had 2.5 Deg. this morning in Central NY. Supposed to warm up to the 40s this weekend I still want to ride snowmobile yet at least another couple of weekends ! ! ! It has been an awesome winter here though I guess I am ready to put the sled away and get the bike and boat out.

Ponds were open last week midweek when I drove by. Went out to cast a line and maybe score a crappie or two on Sunday, but apparently I didn't get the memo and the two days into the single digits was enough to freeze them over again. I thought we were over the hump.:censored:

They are open again now. Gonna try again this weekend. Even if I can't catch a fish, I have to give it a go to make me FEEL like spring is coming.

It's been bitterly cold here the last three mornings (-20 something F)but it started warming up this afternoon. It is supposed to be in the 40's this weekend. I hope this is the turning point for us because my wood pile is getting smaller each day and I am hopeing it will last till mid april.

Can't wait till SPRING BREAK!:cheers:

Still got 3 feet of snow up here and temps in 20s. The last snow was like granulated sugar on top of ice. Slick going. Spring can't come too soon for me. I'm working on my last row of wood in the barn too although I have some backup outside. Hard too get too it though.

YEAH! Gonna be 78 degrees here today. That's what I'm talking about. :cheers:

Last edited:
Ponds were open last week midweek when I drove by. Went out to cast a line and maybe score a crappie or two on Sunday, but apparently I didn't get the memo and the two days into the single digits was enough to freeze them over again. I thought we were over the hump.:censored:

They are open again now. Gonna try again this weekend. Even if I can't catch a fish, I have to give it a go to make me FEEL like spring is coming.

We won't see open water for another 6 weeks.
Still boring holes though 30" of ice.
08iceseason571.jpg

Back