Sprocket question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mattmc2003

mattmc2003

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hello, any info on this would be greatly appreciated. I have a 6401 makita, and i would like to know if an 8 pin would make it cut any faster or not. they are not expensive, so i would just try it, but i don't know where to get one to try it. Are they different on each saw, or does the same rim fit many different saws? I have not been able to find this info anywhere. If someone could point me in the right direction, i will just buy one and try for myself. I don't usually cut anything bigger than 20" or so. Oaks for firewood. And i run 20" bar. I plan on modding the muffler and a 7900 kit one day. Thanks for the info.

heimannm
Rim sprocket?

If your saw has the rim type sprocket you can get an 8T 3/8 pitch sprocket most anywhere for around $10.

64cc with 20" bar?

I use an 8T with 16" bar on the Stihl 026 and it works great on everything.

I use an 8T with 24" bar on the Jonsered 930 and it works great on everything.

I would like to get an 8T or bigger .404 for the McCulloch SP125 to see what it can really do. With 32" bar it seems to still be playing even buried in dry oak.

Mark

attachment.php

brncreeper (Grant) giving it a go...

mattmc2003

mattmc2003

Addicted to ArboristSite
If your saw has the rim type sprocket you can get an 8T 3/8 pitch sprocket most anywhere for around $10.

64cc with 20" bar?

I use an 8T with 16" bar on the Stihl 026 and it works great on everything.

I use an 8T with 24" bar on the Jonsered 930 and it works great on everything.

I would like to get an 8T or bigger .404 for the McCulloch SP125 to see what it can really do. With 32" bar it seems to still be playing even buried in dry oak.

Mark

attachment.php

brncreeper (Grant) giving it a go...

So a .375 8T sprocket is what it is? Regardless of saw brand it will work? Cause like i said, i found them on baileys, just not sure what to get.

willsaw4beer

willsaw4beer

Addicted to ArboristSite
What you do have to keep in mind in choosing a different sprocket is the spline size. The new sprocket has to be for the size spline on your saw. Figure out the size spline and you'll be able to figure out what sprockets will fit. At least I think so, if not hopefully one of the experts on here will straighten you out...

Last edited:
petefrey@olypen

petefrey@olypen

ArboristSite Lurker
Long Bar Qestion

I have a Stihl 290 Farmboss with 20" bar and want to temporarily adapt a 32" - 34" bar in order to buck up a downed green maple of really big girth. I have plenty of time to do work and could give the power head a good rest between cuts to save overlaoding it. Would only use with new chain and slow feed.
any comments of practicality of my plan ?

would I need to change sprokets to go to the long bars I have in mind ?
thanks,
Pete

Stihl 024 AV
Stihl 290
McCulloch SuperPro 81 ( not running needs points/condenser/obsolete? )
Jonsereds 52E
Power King 24" axle front-loader tractor ( under restoration )

Last edited:
kevin j

kevin j

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I changed from 7 to 8 on my 7900 right after I got it. Just went to the local Stihl dealer where I normally shop stihl parts, asked for a large spline oregon rim. $7 or so.
When he asks for what model, just mumble something....
When I said Dolmar, but same splines, he asked 'what's a dolmar....'

Oregon site lists a small 7 I think spline, a small 8 spline, and a large 8 spline. spline being the center hole, not the number of chain teeth.
edit: oops, should be 6-7-7 splines.... oregon link later post has the right info. kcj

so the closest stihl or husky shop should fit you up just fine.

k

Last edited:
njforestfire

njforestfire

ArboristSite Operative
I have a Stihl 290 Farmboss with 20" bar and want to temporarily adapt a 32" - 34" bar in order to buck up a downed green maple of really big girth. I have plenty of time to do work and could give the power head a good rest between cuts to save overlaoding it. Would only use with new chain and slow feed.
any comments of practicality of my plan ?

would I need to change sprokets to go to the long bars I have in mind ?
thanks,
Pete

QUOTE]

An 029 with anything longer than a 24" is not gonna work that well. I ran an 029 for years with a 24" and that was at it's limit...I changed to a 20" and it was MUCH happier! I suggest running a 20" and make 2 cuts instead of one LONG one.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector

Oregon site lists a small 7 I think spline, a small 8 spline, and a large 8 spline. spline being the center hole, not the number of chain teeth.

so the closest stihl or husky shop should fit you up just fine.

k

Small 7-spline and large 7-spline are the most common ones (Stihl use the "mini" 7 instead of the small one) - pretty sure the 6400 has a large 7-spline.

The 5100 has a small 7-spline.

For at least some saws, you can get an aftermarket drum with different spline size.....

Personally, I wouldn't even consider a 3/8" 8-pin on the 6400 and 20" bar unless the wood is balsa - just forget it......;) :rolleyes: .

Last edited: