square chisel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The goofy on the top plate is like square filed. It will leave the top plate looking like the chains in andys pictures above.

So, you weren't saying to use a goofy to file your round ground, you were saying use a goofy to turn your round ground into square? Sorry I misunderstood.

You can use it either way. It will make round cut a little faster than using a round file.

Well, not quite sure where I'm going to head with this at the moment. Checked Craigslist this morning and picked up an Oregon 511A with a custom made stand for less than half price. The guy claimed it had only done 10 chains but it does look a little more worn than that but still appears to be in really good shape. Now, I just have to figure out how to work it. :laugh:

attachment.php

Hahaha. I guess your chicken wings could go in the gullets, and using them to pitch with would be pretty hard on balls.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here's a couple grand.

This is how I like my gullets to look.
Good gullet
Goodgullet.jpg

If you let your gullet's get in this bad a shape you won't be cutting much.
Bad gullet.
BadGullet.jpg

Andy

I have a new chain fresh out of the box and I touched it up trying to get that all elusive proper angle and have a tiny spur like your 2nd gullet pic.

I know I was too aggressive with the pressure and took too much off. Do you knock that little spur off right away or wait till a few more sharpenings?

Also, got my first cut finger. Yeah, it is sharp. Tried it out on some 15" diameter osage orange and it worked great!!!!

I'll knock that spur off with a round file, I want it to look like yours!!!

I have a new chain fresh out of the box and I touched it up trying to get that all elusive proper angle and have a tiny spur like your 2nd gullet pic.

I know I was too aggressive with the pressure and took too much off. Do you knock that little spur off right away or wait till a few more sharpenings?

Also, got my first cut finger. Yeah, it is sharp. Tried it out on some 15" diameter osage orange and it worked great!!!!

I'll knock that spur off with a round file, I want it to look like yours!!!

If you're touching up (2 to 3 light strokes) you can go for a while before cleaning out the gullets. Personally, I don't let them get started good. I'll clean out my gullets when the little tit's get to 1/16" or less.
You'll know your chain is sharp when you look at it real hard and your eye's start bleeding. :laugh:

Andy

Not sure why I'm bothering reading this thread because I'm not even a good round filer yet. But in the second picture, are you saying that whole front part of the cutter should be filed away so that it would become part of the gullet?

Yep.
File it untill the cutter in the second picture looks like the cutter in the first picture.

Andy

Can an Oregon grinder square grind? I wouldn't think so but I guess it never hurts to ask.

No. The wheel approach is wrong.

The flat side of the wheel needs to be almost parallel with the top flat of the chain tooth (hope that makes sense).

Check this out, was late and I thought, whats going on here ???

All right I give up, I can't make this pic any bigger.

One cutter is backwards.

Last edited:
Back