square chisel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too. I have had to wear glasses for the last 6...8 years to see to file or grind. If you cant see the chain will not ever be quite right.
Those are good videos of filing. It is exactly the same way I do it. You see a lot of different methods though and everybody has to work out there own way. It might be better for a guy to forget everything he knows about filing round chain because the square filing is so much different.

You hit the nail on the head with that one. If someone want's to learn to file a chisel bit, they really need to forget everything about round filing. Then don't even use round chain, just square. That will force a person to learn a lot quicker when they don't have something to "fall back on". That's how I learned anyway.

Andy

You hit the nail on the head with that one. If someone want's to learn to file a chisel bit, they really need to forget everything about round filing. Then don't even use round chain, just square. That will force a person to learn a lot quicker when they don't have something to "fall back on". That's how I learned anyway.

Andy
I meant to ask you if you even ran any round so that clears that up.
It looks to me like that goofy file is gonna be a little like between a round and square where the top and side plates meet. Wish now I,d ordered the tri angle or 6 sided file too.I just got a feeling I'm gonna FUBAR this up but at least no ones gonna be around to see it.

I meant to ask you if you even ran any round so that clears that up.
It looks to me like that goofy file is gonna be a little like between a round and square where the top and side plates meet. Wish now I,d ordered the tri angle or 6 sided file too.I just got a feeling I'm gonna FUBAR this up but at least no ones gonna be around to see it.

Stick with the goofy for a while, don't rush it.
As far as a FUBAR happening, don't sweat it. In the big picture, chain's are cheap, education isn't. It may cost you a few chain's before it's over.
No one knows how many chains I have on my wall of shame, from when I started trying to build race chains. I still have to add one now and then.

Andy

Are there better angles to use for a work chain than out of the box square?
The 45 deg file angle and 15deg top plate angle seems kinda odd but what the heck do i know.If it stays cutting as good as out of the box I'm not gonna try second guessin it , just hope I can keep it cutting without round fileing it.How important is it to file outside in? This is going to be hard to get used too.

The 45 deg file angle and 15deg top plate angle seems kinda odd but what the heck do i know.If it stays cutting as good as out of the box I'm not gonna try second guessin it , just hope I can keep it cutting without round fileing it.How important is it to file outside in? This is going to be hard to get used too.

I've heard some say it dosen't matter which direction you file. As far as I'm concerned it is very important to file from the outside in. The angle's are easier to hold, you can see the all important corner of the cutter better, and to top it all off any burrs will be on the inside.

Andy

JW, I just noticed that you and John Ellison are both in Arkansas.
You might want to beg him to let you come meet him. One hands on demonstration in square filing would be worth more than 10 threads with videos on the subject. But I'll still help in any way I can.

Andy

JW, I live about 45 miles west of Little Rock in the edge of the Ouachitas. I'd be glad to show you what little I know anytime. What area are you in? Going to the GTG?
What Andy says about outside to in, is the best way to file. It is the only way you can see the corner and that is a big part of it. Yep the angles are way different, that is why it is best to forget most of the round filing stuff.
I have to admit that I do a lot more grinding than filing. Over the years I have gradually taught myself to file somewhat because no matter how many ground chains you take with you there is always the what if? Mostly what if the electricity goes out. HaHa

John and Andy,Thanks for the replies.
John I'm 30 mi north of LR and wish I could make the GTG it would be great to meet you guys in person, but wifey don't let me out after dark.
Andy it looks like I'm gonna have to learn to use a double bevel because baileys sent me a dozen when all I ordered was one. Not bad for 7 bucks, huh?I also got a new cutter 2 look at so I can see what mine looked like before I messed em up.LOL, also got a goofy and it don't look like it will cause as much damage in as short a time.
I'll let you all know how it turns out later.

I cut all day Sat. with the 262 when topping & up to about 16" rounds. Touched up 5 times with good results. Didn't try a different top plate angle as in cutting mostly oak and factory angles seem to be cutting good in this. Also would like to see if I can maintain that to the end of cutter life.

Dropped a few Cherry's and the huge chips sure put a smile on yer face.

I cut all day Sat. with the 262 when topping & up to about 16" rounds. Touched up 5 times with good results. Didn't try a different top plate angle as in cutting mostly oak and factory angles seem to be cutting good in this. Also would like to see if I can maintain that to the end of cutter life.

Dropped a few Cherry's and the huge chips sure put a smile on yer face.

Good deal!!
I know you can keep it maintained till the cutters break off if you want to go that far. Just pay attention to the corner, and don't forget to keep the gullets cleaned out.

Andy

I've procrastinated with this for a long time, but I broke down and took a couple of videos touching up a few cutters. This is how I touch up my work chains while I'm cutting. It may give those who don't know how an idea of how to file.

Andy

I was wondering if there was any reason you used 3 strokes on the cutters on one side and 2 strokes on the other or am I just being too picky?

I was wondering if there was any reason you used 3 strokes on the cutters on one side and 2 strokes on the other or am I just being too picky?

Actually that is a pretty good question.
We all have a "strong side" and a "weak side" when we are filing. The cutters on your weak side will get to be a little longer than the other side after a few filings. So once in a while (every 2 or 3 touch ups) I hit my weak side an extra lick in an attempt to keep the cutter lengths more even.
I'm glad you were paying attention that close. :cheers:

Andy

Thaks for the reply. I have noticed exactly what you were saying but never gave much thought past that to compensate. I have probably watched those vids 20 times and I can usually pick out something new everytime. THANK YOU for posting your stuff up!! and let me buy this round :cheers:

no, you can't buy a round..buy a square. :monkey: :cheers:

this is about as on-topic as my question gets.

hey--there are a few different type files out there appropriate for square filing. which one to you use and why?

i bought 'em all. and the goofy--just doesn't do much for me...not that i've touched chain yet...just checking out the files as one who does a lot of non-saw-chain filing.

pulled my first ever square chain through some wood tonight. me likey.:hmm3grin2orange:

The flat with bevel are easier to keep the corner for me. The triangular files are harder to keep in the right spot.

I have been using a double bevel and am new to filing square chain but I seem to have a nack for filing chains and have not had a problem learning to file square chain. I use a 5/32 round file to clean the gullets which I am assuming is the part of the cutter that is close to the drive link. I can tell a huge difference in my round chains and my square when it comes to cut times. I have noticed that filing square on .325 chain is a little harder cause there isnt as much room there to keep from hitting the drive links.

Anyone used the Vallorbe that Ace Hardware sells? The price is right, $2.95 ea. I just got some and so far they seem to be as good initially as Save Edge. I'll have to see if they hold up as long. They are only 4 sided but they give a little more depth on the side cutter over the 6 sided.

Anyone used the Vallorbe that Ace Hardware sells? The price is right, $2.95 ea. I just got some and so far they seem to be as good initially as Save Edge. I'll have to see if they hold up as long. They are only 4 sided but they give a little more depth on the side cutter over the 6 sided.
I was looking at the one your talking about thinking the same thing, still got 6 double bevels in the box but for the price think I'm gonna pick some of the vallorbes up anyway. Even if they only last half as long its still a money saver if it does as well.
I,ve been using the goofys for quick touch ups while I'm cutting cause I can keep em in the corner better without my bi focals but they are getting dull and I dont want to order more untill I have other stuff to make the shipping worth while.
I took andys advise and haven't used any round since last oct. except some semi I use for flush cutting.Not got it down yet but I'm getting better.

Back