square chisel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking at the one your talking about thinking the same thing, still got 6 double bevels in the box but for the price think I'm gonna pick some of the vallorbes up anyway. Even if they only last half as long its still a money saver if it does as well.
I,ve been using the goofys for quick touch ups while I'm cutting cause I can keep em in the corner better without my bi focals but they are getting dull and I dont want to order more untill I have other stuff to make the shipping worth while.
I took andys advise and haven't used any round since last oct. except some semi I use for flush cutting.Not got it down yet but I'm getting better.

Good on ya JW. I don't cut much till the leaves fall,I'm sure I'll be a little rusty from where I left off last winter, but I'm looking forward to getting back at it.

Had a few wavy top plates, got them straightened out but didn't really understand what I was doing that was causing it. The other thread in the chainsaw forum Red pointed out that this was from the file being too high.

Thanks for all the help Red, much appreciated.

The Valorbes I've used in the past don't cut as fast as the old Pferds, but they cut a lot smoother. I like them for race chains. I didn't know Ace carried double bevel's or goofy files. But at $2.95 a pop I'll have to check it out.

Andy

I just tried my hand a sharpening a square chain today and it seemed to hold the chips in the tooth. What do you guys suggest I do? Not sure at this point. Thanks Steve

I just tried my hand a sharpening a square chain today and it seemed to hold the chips in the tooth. What do you guys suggest I do? Not sure at this point. Thanks Steve
I sure ani't no expert here but 2 things I have learned is to keep the rakers high and the gullets clean.
May be someone else can answer your question,red sure helped me a lot.

What exactly is a gullet??? I thought it is where all my chicken wings go.

Don Gullet used to pitch for the reds.

I really appreciate all the info here, I am starting to hand file square chisel chains and this helps out a lot. Got my caliper and gauges, and yes some reading glasses so I can see better.

Looks like the cutters on square chisel are longer than on round, does that help the chain last longer??

Pete

The gullet is the lower portion of the front of the cutter down below where the file is rubbing when square filing. I file them back past the side plate edge of the cutter just a little. It will make a difference in how long of a chip it will let it pull before it severs it completely.

What exactly is a gullet??? I thought it is where all my chicken wings go.

Don Gullet used to pitch for the reds.

I really appreciate all the info here, I am starting to hand file square chisel chains and this helps out a lot. Got my caliper and gauges, and yes some reading glasses so I can see better.

Looks like the cutters on square chisel are longer than on round, does that help the chain last longer??

Pete

Hahaha. I guess your chicken wings could go in the gullets, and using them to pitch with would be pretty hard on balls.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here's a couple grand.

This is how I like my gullets to look.
Good gullet
Goodgullet.jpg

If you let your gullet's get in this bad a shape you won't be cutting much.
Bad gullet.
BadGullet.jpg

Andy

Just to clear things up a little on why we have to keep the gullets cleaned out. The first thing you want to make contact with the wood is the corner of the cutter. As the cutter is filed (or ground) back it gets narrower, eventually the front of the gullet will start hitting the side of the kerf before the corner of the cutter gets there, which slows cutting dramaticly.
I've seen guy's do pretty good starting out filing, and then all of a sudden they touch it up and it just won't cut. They can't figure out what happened. But a few licks with a round file in the gullet and they're right back to making time.

Andy

Do you ever knock a little off of the side of the depth gage, due to the cutter getting narrower? I give mine a light touch when the tooth is 2/3 gone.

Generally, on a work chain I don't thin the rakers. But once in a while I'll run across a chain that has to have the rakers thinned a little. I think that the stamping process they use to make the cutters isn't perfect.
If a chain is 2/3 gone and needs too much work, I usually just throw it in a box for a couple of firewood cutters around here. But usually they get ran till the cutters start breaking off. :laugh:

Andy

Hahaha. I guess your chicken wings could go in the gullets, and using them to pitch with would be pretty hard on balls.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here's a couple grand.

This is how I like my gullets to look.
Good gullet
Goodgullet.jpg

If you let your gullet's get in this bad a shape you won't be cutting much.
Bad gullet.
BadGullet.jpg

Andy

Not sure why I'm bothering reading this thread because I'm not even a good round filer yet. But in the second picture, are you saying that whole front part of the cutter should be filed away so that it would become part of the gullet?

Also, why would you choose either the 8" or 6" goofy file?
Price, the per each diff is a buck.Next order i'm going with a dozen 8" cause its only a 5 dollar price difference.
I use goofys on all my chisel chains, round and square.
After a few touch ups with a goofy the round cuts bout as good as the square,just wish the files were cheaper.

Looking at pictures, the 8" look quite a bit wider. Do they fit in the gullet of a 3/8's chain?

Are you saying you use a goofy instead of a round file on your round ground chain?

Goofy files can be used on square or round. It will make round a little faster and more like square except the side plate will be rounded a little instead of striaght up and down. It is a little more forgiving on the angles than a double bevel file is.

They say it's easier to learn with a goofy. I just got some double bevels and some loops of square I've been messing with for the last year or so. I've got decent at it but not as good as I would like. It does cut faster if you can get the teeth good and sharp.

I had never heard you could use a goofy instead of a round file before so I'm going to start with a couple chains I have now with that but will also order one loop of square and see if I can do anything reasonable with it.

Yeah it's best to have a loop there if for nothing else a reference to look at when filing on another chain.

That's a good point, I guess i better get two, 1 to look at and 1 to play with.

But what I was saying was to start using the goofy on my round ground but continue to file it the same as round since you say that actually works better.

Back