Square ground chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim hollon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
well, I tried my first loop of square ground today ( stihl 3/8 .063 full skip) very impressive in some pecan wood. Now I'm thinking to myself is it worth the 1000 to buy a grinder to do that? I'm going to do some timed test later this week with the same saw same piece of wood ( versus) new round ground . I'll let you know the results. Stihl 046 kinda hot roded

Why not just learn to file it first. Square ground is sharpened with a flat file.
Well I have tried I bought the file stihl recommended and there is no possible way it can duplicate the factory angles, I even went to a local sharpening shop and they weren't sure if they were able to duplicate it . I'm a machinist and the file stihl sold me absolutely will not work ,any info that will save me a 1000 would greatly be appreciated.

I just attempted my first square file just recently. It's definitely a challenge to get it right.

What file does Stihl recommend? I used a double bit file but think it would be easier to use a single bit file starting out. I also bought a triangle shaped file to see if I can modify my file-a-joint jig to sharpen square. There is a way that jig can be modified to sharpen the square.

Baileys and or a decent saw shop should have the "goofy" files that have no teeth on the sides. File from the outside in opposite the way you would round file. Unlike with round chain, square takes a lot of experience to get it right. A grinder is probably best.

well, I tried my first loop of square ground today ( stihl 3/8 .063 full skip) very impressive in some pecan wood. Now I'm thinking to myself is it worth the 1000 to buy a grinder to do that? I'm going to do some timed test later this week with the same saw same piece of wood ( versus) new round ground . I'll let you know the results. Stihl 046 kinda hot roded
If you have not hand filed SQ ground chain buy a "Goofy" file very similar to sharpening method to a standard chain with a round file, there are how to on YOU Tube for hints & tips for hand filing Sq Ground chains.

Are the cheap harbor freight models any good on a square chain. Any decent grinders south of $500 for a weekend warrior who likes square chains?

I just don't understand how a six sided file is supposed to work the angles or the flats don't match. The small flats on the corners aren't wide enough . Anyone willing to take a photo to show a rookie?

You only use 2 sides of the file at one time. The wide edge of the file cuts the top plate and the narrow side of the file cuts the side plate. The 6 sided file just give you 3 files in one essentially. A double bit file like in my last reply (first pic) gives you 4 cutting sides.

The only issue I have with the Atop is it isn't designed for skip tooth chain, otherwise I'd buy one.
I'm not sure how it works to know why skip (maybe semi skip too?) Effects it's operation. Can you explain?

Skip semi skip or full comp should have no effect on sharpening ,A trick a member turned me onto was do the left hand cutters with left hand and rh cutters with right hand .Otherwise you will hate doing the left ones .Here a a couple old demo vids to give an idea on filing and how the grinder works ,holding the chain with other hand keeps the cutters from rocking like in the demo ,was kind of hard to file one handed and hold camera with other ,but gives an idea how to hold the file

Another hand file demo

Here is what one of the demo cutters looks like ,good thing to do when sharpening also is count your strokes ,if to 4 do them all 4 so the cutters stay the same size ,nicking the tie straps is ok ,it will not hurt anything ,it actually gives you a pretty good angle if graze them a little .
square file 8-19-14 oil 025.JPG

Well I have tried I bought the file stihl recommended and there is no possible way it can duplicate the factory angles, I even went to a local sharpening shop and they weren't sure if they were able to duplicate it . I'm a machinist and the file stihl sold me absolutely will not work ,any info that will save me a 1000 would greatly be appreciated.

Some square ground angles aren't very file friendly. What file did your dealer sell you? 3 corner, single, or double bevel?

I'm not sure how it works to know why skip (maybe semi skip too?) Effects it's operation. Can you explain?
I don't know how the Atop works exactly either but am guessing it uses the cutter behind to help index it and if the cutter is two back then that may be the issue.

I don't know how the Atop works exactly either but am guessing it uses the cutter behind to help index it and if the cutter is two back then that may be the issue.
So you don't know that it will/won't work but you are guessing it won't work? I'm confused why you would make the statement then if you are unsure.

Latest posts

Back