Squish on a 395XP ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time I have heard of a coil going bad like this, usually they will give you a reduction in voltage for the spark. Checking it with an ohm meter will indicate a break in the winding or most likely a short for that case.
But to just advance timing like that, an ohm reading would not identify that problem...
Too bad coils are sealed, no other way to check for the issue that the poster has...

You can try the 385 coil, it should work given the coil mount position on both saws is the same, and the flywheel they utilize is the same, also the position of magnets and the position of the poles is the same
385 and 390 are the same. But not a 394/5

Good to know!

we need a husky part interchangeability spreadsheet for each model of saw! Ha who’s got a month of free time to make one?
The whole coil thing kinda sucks. The 395 coil is the ****** one and has no replacement. The others all interchange but rarely fail

Question, I think I know the answer, in that video I noticed some people pull out the rope a bit before killing the saw, why? I’ve never broke a rope or dogs not doing this.
Old habits die hard, and old people refuse to change that’s why.

completely un-necessary these days, it’s the stubborn old guys who will tell you otherwise. IMO it’s pretty rediculous to do it, he’s the only guy on YouTube who does, and I mean the ONLY guy out of all the videos about chainsaws

So, I got this thing figured out. Bad flywheel. I have 2 - 395 saws so I just started swapping parts till I figured it out. swapped the coil first, didn't help. I had already had the bad flywheel off a couple of times and it looked OK to me. I recognized it looked like it had been messed with but the key fit in the groove tight. When I took the good flywheel off and saw what one was supposed to look like, I new the bad one had been violated. Some one had filled in the old groove and filed in a new one. Trying to adjust the timing i'm sure, and they sure had it adjusted. It looked factory if you don't know what you are looking it. With a little help from you boys pointing me in the right direction, I've gone from a box of junk parts to a running saw.:dancing: That is if my Ping Chong cylinder holds up. You'll be happy to know I went all out and ordered a OEM flywheel.
Thanks for the help.:clap:

So, I got this thing figured out. Bad flywheel. I have 2 - 395 saws so I just started swapping parts till I figured it out. swapped the coil first, didn't help. I had already had the bad flywheel off a couple of times and it looked OK to me. I recognized it looked like it had been messed with but the key fit in the groove tight. When I took the good flywheel off and saw what one was supposed to look like, I new the bad one had been violated. Some one had filled in the old groove and filed in a new one. Trying to adjust the timing i'm sure, and they sure had it adjusted. It looked factory if you don't know what you are looking it. With a little help from you boys pointing me in the right direction, I've gone from a box of junk parts to a running saw.:dancing: That is if my Ping Chong cylinder holds up. You'll be happy to know I went all out and ordered a OEM flywheel.
Thanks for the help.:clap:
Congrats!

another guy on here had the same problem with a brand new ms250. I believe he was given the same advice to turn off the ignition but I don’t remember if he tried it. Point being you did and it was the ignition, so at least now I know what to look for if i come across the same thing

Question, I think I know the answer, in that video I noticed some people pull out the rope a bit before killing the saw, why? I’ve never broke a rope or dogs not doing this.

Old habits die hard, and old people refuse to change that’s why.

completely un-necessary these days, it’s the stubborn old guys who will tell you otherwise. IMO it’s pretty rediculous to do it, he’s the only guy on YouTube who does, and I mean the ONLY guy out of all the videos about chainsaws

I guess I am one of those stubborn old guys, but the design of the older MAC recoils can cause the recoil rope to be pulled back into the housing. Pretty sure I have seen the old habit recommended in the old owners manual. Don’t know about Husky saws.

Ron

Latest posts

Back