SRT Rope Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtc16

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been through threads on the best srt ropes but I can't really find the info I'm looking for so I wanted to talk about what I'm wanting specifically. I've never climbed single rope but want to start for ascending. I bought hitch hiker 2 and cammed cmi foot ascender but have yet to buy a rope. I'm going to mess around on my arbor plex 12 strand while I decide on a 200' srt line. I've basically narrowed it down to the poison ivy or a kernmantle. As far as I can tell the only advantage to the posion ivy would be that it is a bit wider so easier to grip.. Sherilltree customer service told me the kernmantle will be more abrasion resistant for basal anchoring and that it would be more resistant for cammed ascenders. I've heard people say that lava and poison ivy are the best ropes a lot but can't figure out why.. Basically I'm trying to find the most abrasion resistant rope to the cammed foot ascender and the crotch of the tree for basal anchoring, while still being very low stretch and easy enough to tie the anchor. Being able to use it for a closed system blakes hitch if wanted would also be a plus. Any input would be great, thanks.

You really are asking for two different ropes. SRT guys like low stretch but if you are doing drt then guys like a little more stretch. You can do both with the poison ivy. If you got the money get both.

Ok thanks, I may do that but I don't have the extra money today. I ended up ordering 200' of kernmaster the other day so that'll be what I try first. Could you do a blakes hitch with poison ivy? No split tail just poison ivy hitch on poison ivy line?

Back