SS Washers for Northern Grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone was interested, I might be interested in selling my grinder with the washer kit.

I have not even used the grinder yet, but it's been assembled, tested and prep sanded for the washer kit.

If anyone is interested, drop me an email.

[email protected]

RJ

Hopefully this offer is still good. I emailed my name and address. I used the grinder on three chains so far. I think the shim and washer will make it even better.

Is there anyway to start up a new batch?

Well it has been some time now and I was wondering if the powers that be would have any time to make some more shims and washers? Just curious as I was at the tail-end of the first go-around and never got these:(

Well it has been some time now and I was wondering if the powers that be would have any time to make some more shims and washers? Just curious as I was at the tail-end of the first go-around and never got these:(

I would guess the party is over on this one. I used my grinder without the kit. You just have to measure and readjust before you start grinding the opposite teeth. Takes a little more time when swithing sides, but then slick as a whistle after that.

I would guess the party is over on this one. I used my grinder without the kit. You just have to measure and readjust before you start grinding the opposite teeth. Takes a little more time when swithing sides, but then slick as a whistle after that.

I've been having a bit of trouble with switching to the opposite side myself. Any tips on what you do? I find I have to reset the stop. I did about 8 grinds with no problems but the last one I did went wrong and the chain veers off to one side slightly when I cut. So I didn't get an even cut from one side to the other.

I've been having a bit of trouble with switching to the opposite side myself. Any tips on what you do? I find I have to reset the stop. I did about 8 grinds with no problems but the last one I did went wrong and the chain veers off to one side slightly when I cut. So I didn't get an even cut from one side to the other.

Resetting the stop for the other side is what I used to do. I'm sure you already know, but if the teeth on one side are ground more significantly than the other, the saw will not cut true. Okay for cutting off root flares, not good for much else.

Last edited:
Resetting the stop for the other side is what I used to do. I'm sure you already know, but if the teeth on one side are ground more significantly than the other, the saw will not cut true. Okay for cutting off root flares, not good for much else.

That is what I have been doing too. It is kind of a guess when switching to the other side and adjusting the stop to try to take off the same amount as the first side. Where I went wrong this last time was regrinding the first side after adjusting and grinding the second side. That took to much off the first side. Now I have to figure out how to straighten it out. A trip to the dealer for an accurate grind may be called for. I won't do that again. The other chains I did worked out well so I should have stuck with what I was doing.

Chain Teeth

I'm no expert on this but here it goes. (Famous last words??)

Measure the teeth. On the shorter of the two sides, take off only as much as needed to get your edge back on the tooth. Then flip the angle and tilt. On the other side, measure out what you need to get the tooth the same as the first side then back off just a tad. Grind then recheck with ruler and take off a little more if needed. I try to keep my cutter lengths within a 32nd of an inch. Rakers ground last.

Haven't had any trouble with my saw creeping to the side while in the cut.

Finally, I have noticed I can sharpen approx. 12 chains (16" and 18" mixed) before I true up the grinding wheel. I'm still using the one that came with the grinder. Also, I don't take much meat off when grinding, just enough to get the edge back.

Measure the teeth. On the shorter of the two sides, take off only as much as needed to get your edge back on the tooth. Then flip the angle and tilt. On the other side, measure out what you need to get the tooth the same as the first side then back off just a tad. Grind then recheck with ruler and take off a little more if needed. I try to keep my cutter lengths within a 32nd of an inch. Rakers ground last.

I'll give that a try. Even I can hit a 32nd. I just skin off enough to get an edge too. Thanks for the tips.

Just checking

I wanted to make sure that you guys are still doing the shims and the washers, and that I am still on the list. jra1100, J R Ackley. If no let me know and I will pm the address and all of the pertiant informatio. It was quite some time ago that I put in for a set. Best to all. JR

Are there any specifics on the shim washer combo

You can always make your own if fhere are? I havent read thru this whole thread. Is there a post with exactly what and were these go?

Latest posts

Back