Stacking Wood North and South

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstill361

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi there ,To those who stack their rows North to South, do you do anything different to keep the West wind from blowing it over? I usually stack my rows West to East so it doesnt blow over, but I had to start a new pile in the back yard N-S so I drove 8' steel posts leaving 6ft above ground every 12.5 ft on both sides then wired them together through the wood for stability.

So do you think this technique will hold up to the West wind ? Its all open field behind it

This one Oak produced 6 cords, I was really impressed with the Jred 910 and the 36" bar . I replaced the 8pin with a 7pin and the saw never bogged even if i leaned on it.
058.jpg

This is the result of 2 days cutting, 2 days splitting and 6 trailer loads hauled stacked N-S
Oak.jpg

Mine are on pallets, and two rows butted against each other, with air at the bottom and touching completely at the top, leaves a triangle shaped air gap in between, but just slightly. It gives the barest hint of a pyramid type look when you sight down the stack. Seems to be quite stable so far, wouldn't hesitate to walk across the top from end to end.

East-west works best for us, although we have had a couple tip overs after the wood dries and shrinks. East-west provides the solar exposure that you need to speed drying times and the prevailing wind here comes from the northwest so the wind blows through the pile most of the time. I wouldn't pile it north-south, but that's just me being a Mainer.

Last edited:
I hadn't ever gave it much thought.

In the Summer and Spring, the wood I cut gets stacked N-S for maximun sun exposure. Most of the wind here is out of the West or South West.

In the Fall or Winter the wind changes direction and comes mostly from the North. The Sun starts getting lower in the sky so the wood gets stacked E-W to maximumize both dry blowing wind and the little bit of Sun left to warm things up.

Usually it will get stacked 3-4 rows wide with the top coverd so they all stay tied together. Usually falling stacks arent a worry unless the kids are building the stack. Lets just say that it's improving with their experience.

The posts and wire tied through the stack sounds like it should work. As the wood shrinks and rests on the wire more it will also shrink from the ends and let the wire pull the poles in tighter if they arent to rigid. Sounds right to me for making the stacks more stable.

I never make my stacks face north as they end up getting magnetized....... then they want to stick to the sides when i throw them in my stove. :dizzy:

I never make my stacks face north as they end up getting magnetized....... then they want to stick to the sides when i throw them in my stove. :dizzy:

same here, except my stack aligns itself north-south over the course of the winter...magnetic north tho, not true north...

Thanks for all the replies. Im not really worried about maximizing dry time because im already 2 years ahead, I was just worried about the wind, and wondered if anybody ever had trouble with it. The wind here can get pretty strong, and I only want to stack it once. They are cut 24" for the furnace , so that helps a little with stability.

Thanks for all the replies. Im not really worried about maximizing dry time because im already 2 years ahead, I was just worried about the wind, and wondered if anybody ever had trouble with it. The wind here can get pretty strong, and I only want to stack it once. They are cut 24" for the furnace , so that helps a little with stability.

I think if you have a wind that would blow over a wood pile you will have bigger problems than just to re-stack your wood. IMHO about the only "wind" that would move a wood pile would be a tornado and it wouldn't make any difference if your pile was N/S or E/W.
Jim

You beat me to it! I was going to say the same thing!
:) :)

Jim

Just wait till kstill361 goes to throw a piece of that wood into his stove the first time !! :cheers:

same here, except my stack aligns itself north-south over the course of the winter...magnetic north tho, not true north...

You guys must have a lot of Ironwood in your stacks.:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back