stainless steel or iron

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainergeneral

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm still trying on figuring out on what type of outdoor wood furnace.... what does people recommend stailness steel or metal box style... what is the pros and cons ... thanks in advance.

Yessir, know what ya mean. Buy a carbon unit and it will rot out in 43 days, buy a stainless unit and it will crack like glass in 44 days Best advise I can give is to go with a brand that has been around a while. As for the stainless vs carbon wars who knows? Three biggies, at least around here are Hardy, CB and Woodmaster. Hardy only makes stainless, hard to believe they would still be around if every stove cracked with the second or third fire aint it? and they use the thinnest steel of any make that I am aware of. CB makes a stainless unit but don't push it. Woodmaster told me that they are (were) about to quit making stainless units because of problems. I have a carbon steel Woodmaster and use the chemical they supply. Going into its third year, I have looked down into the unit when drained and there is no corrosion going on in mine but I spend the time and money to correctly maintain it. I tend to think that the stories of short lived stoves are about like most other stories of short lived mechanical contraptions, some people could break an anvil with a rubber mallet. That doesn't mean the anvil was ill conceived or constructed or that we should outlaw rubber mallets, it means that some people shouldn't own or use anvils,,,, or OWBs

Yessir, know what ya mean. Buy a carbon unit and it will rot out in 43 days, buy a stainless unit and it will crack like glass in 44 days Best advise I can give is to go with a brand that has been around a while. As for the stainless vs carbon wars who knows? Three biggies, at least around here are Hardy, CB and Woodmaster. Hardy only makes stainless, hard to believe they would still be around if every stove cracked with the second or third fire aint it? and they use the thinnest steel of any make that I am aware of. CB makes a stainless unit but don't push it. Woodmaster told me that they are (were) about to quit making stainless units because of problems. I have a carbon steel Woodmaster and use the chemical they supply. Going into its third year, I have looked down into the unit when drained and there is no corrosion going on in mine but I spend the time and money to correctly maintain it. I tend to think that the stories of short lived stoves are about like most other stories of short lived mechanical contraptions, some people could break an anvil with a rubber mallet. That doesn't mean the anvil was ill conceived or constructed or that we should outlaw rubber mallets, it means that some people shouldn't own or use anvils,,,, or OWBs

glad for the reply.. reading quite a lot of your comments in other posts .. all positive.Looking at the central boiler units, was born and raised on a farm and have cut and hauled wood most of my life.. love the work and the smell, but also have a fairly new house with an oil fired boiler which everyone said was the state of the art.what a crock.trying to locate dealers not to far from the canadian border to look into purchasing one.they run about 2000.00 less down there.any help would be appreciated., I notice you are from the ohio area which I have a good friend in chesterland so that is not a to far a drive to pick up a unit also.thanks again

I'm still trying on figuring out on what type of outdoor wood furnace.... what does people recommend stailness steel or metal box style... what is the pros and cons ... thanks in advance.

The dealer I bought my Woodmaster from told me (when I was buying 7 years ago) that I was wasting my money by going with a stainless unit. Took his word and just went with the old plain jane. Have never had a bit of problems. Going on the 8th year.

The dealer I bought my Woodmaster from told me (when I was buying 7 years ago) that I was wasting my money by going with a stainless unit. Took his word and just went with the old plain jane. Have never had a bit of problems. Going on the 8th year.

The dealer on my c.b. was the same way,no problems but if one should occur,I think the carbon will be an easier fix too

Go with stainless, Trust me I get about 3 to 5 calls a year from people asking me why there is water coming in my firebox.....All of those stoves are mild steel!!!! Mild steel will last long if you take care of it....But heatmor I thought was all stainless, and if your looking for a OWB look at a heatsource 1 they are just like the heatmor but a little better and alot better then a CB....

think about wood

Consumption also. I Sell alot of firewood and by far my heatmor guys use less. I Have a heatmor and two of my clients also do we all use about the same amount of wood approx 7 face every 50 days. I have three other clients with brand x and are lucky to get 7 face cord to last 30days!!

Same here with our CB dealer. He said the SS unit was available, for a grand more, but not required. 3 heating seasons later, zero rust in the carbon steel unit. SS cracks, is very hard to weld or repair, and has slightly less heat transfer. It is also a LOT more expensive.

Unfortunately when buying a boiler you have to depend on the manufacturer to use the right materials to fabricate the product. If the right grade of carbon steel is used it can last longer than when the wrong grade of stainless steel is used. The most common and least expensive grades of stainless steel,304 -309, will often fail while 330 grade is much more expensive but will take the heat.

It's just like cars there are the ones that look good, the ones that sound good, and the ones that ARE good.:dizzy:

Back